Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are some names just bad luck?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

So all of a sudden I have really liked the name Jonah. I am not superstitious or anything but I feel like if I name my baby Jonah I will have a noncompassionate child lol.

You never hear the name Cain anymore because it has a very negative start, but names like Noah and Isaiah you hear all the time. Also you don't hear of many kids being called Adolf or Hitler..... So do you shy away from names because of their past? Or because you know multiple people with a name and they all seem to act a certain way? For example I grew up with a lot of Jessica's and Tiffany's and they were all little snots! So I would never use those names EVER. Does name association change you mind when picking a name?

P.S. I already have a name for this baby I have just been thinking about names for future kids and was interested to know how everyone else feels about "Negative names"

pregnancy
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
kelleysangels
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I usually shy away from a name if it is negative. I may really like a name and if I look at the meaning and it is something  meaningless or even negative, I will not use it.  I dont know why.  Maybe names do really mean things.  I dont know.  So I have always named my kids names that have positive meanings.

spamica
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I have a Jonah and I am actually amazed at how compassionate he is. A few weeks ago we were at a restaurant and a baby was kind of fussing and squirming  and he said "That baby needs a toy.  Give that baby a toy." He wouldn't stop until the dad gave the baby a toy. Many times he will hear a baby cry and say "Baby is sad.  Baby is hungry.  That baby needs a bottle." with genuine concern for the baby.  He's only 26 month old so I think that's pretty compassionate for that age.

logansmommy0728
by on May. 24, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Hey! My name is Jessica, and I'm not a snot! lol...

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

pregnancy

ebbierowe
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:20 PM

don't really think about it...I tend to shy away from names of people I already know...there are names I don't like cause I associate them with certain people but that is it....

Bryan's High School Sweetheart in love (for 15 years)  

Mommy to Asiateen girl and Roman american football

Tummy Trouble??? http://www.cafemom.com/group/85015

PROUDMOMMA143
by on May. 25, 2009 at 10:39 AM

My brothers name is Damien and he is a doll, but my mom got a lot of jokes and stuff when anyone asked what his name was.

Yuriko_chan
by on May. 25, 2009 at 10:44 AM

There are some names I would never name my child...Cain being one of them, yes. I like the name Jezebel, but I wouldn't name my child that because in the Bible, Jezebel was a caniving  whore to put it bluntly. In Germany, people still do name their sons Adolf, but it's rare... Jonah is a good name though...I knew a Jonah in high school and he's a good guy. I don't think names are necessarily bad luck, but I do think that people don't name their kids certain names due to the negative conotation... Anyway, I would go ahead with Jonah if you like it!

demonkitty
by on May. 25, 2009 at 10:46 AM

i choose names i like and that go with my last name. i wont choose a name that someone in the family already has. i dont like naming my children after people either. i mean theres people out there with the same name as my children but there not friends of mine or family. i dont stray away from a name because some people act horrible that have that name. its the least of my worries. now im not gunna name one of my children hitler or something cuz that name is just stupid to me. i dont like the name anyways.

MamaCarterof5
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2009 at 11:39 AM

I definitely shy away from names if there is a negative connection of some sort to them.

My Dad wanted us to name this next baby after him- (his name is more female) and I knew 2 very"easy" girls in HS with his name. Everytime I hear the name, I dont even associate it with him, rather I associate it with them. I cant have my kid having a name that reminds me of two slutty girls from High School, lol!

I used to love the name Angelina... but after the Brad and Jen thing (I'm Team Jen, lol) I wont even consider it now.

sandys_daughter
by on May. 25, 2009 at 11:43 AM

for sure! when coming up with our childrens names I would pick a name and he would turn it down bc of someone he grew up with, and vice versa, he liked devin, but I have a hairy uncle named devin, so i said no. lol.

Proud responsible mommy of a beautiful healthy little girl.breastfeeding, disposable diapering, "good attitude goes a long way" kind of philosophy! 19 years young, airman's wife[married because we love each other not because we felt like it was "the right thing at the moment"], Florida beach bum. happy go lucky kinda girl!*Smile, it might make someones day!!*                    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)