• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

birth plans... did you make one?

Posted by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:22 PM
  • 6 Replies

I'm sitting here bored so I decided to type out my birthplan. I'm just wondering if you ladies made one and if it was with past pregnancies was it even used? I dont know why but I just have this feeling that I'll make it and there will be no point in it as I've never heard of anyone i knew making one of course the last baby I knew born was my nephew almost 8 years ago.

by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
wsv777
by on May. 24, 2009 at 9:26 PM

I think a birth plan is good. I'm not sure if this is your first baby but you it is a way to let your husband, doctor and L&D nurses how you want your labor to progress what you are willing to accept and not. It also gives you something to work towards it will probably change depending on the circumstances but it is like an outline to follow. Good Luck and congrats:)

ILoveMyJason
by on May. 24, 2009 at 10:08 PM

I didn't make a birth plan. I didn't want to set myself up for disappointment if things didn't work out how I laid out on paper. I knew one basic thing: I didn't want drugs. Whatever happens during a birth is sometimes not completely up to you, and I wasn't about to be the one to run the show. I wanted a safe birth and a healthy baby in the end, and however that needed to happen was fine with me. I was lucky and very happy to have been able to have the exact birth I wanted, but I honestly think that birth plans are a waste of time.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
pregpostmassage
by on May. 25, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Birth plans can be a good visualization technique for some, and can be reassuring to have your thoughts on paper. It's especially good for planning in case things don't go exactly the way you want them to, you'd still know what you want.

If you have specific requests (like Lotus birth or whatever), I would draft a short birth plan. It can be as simple as "Mother desires a natural birth for the health of herself and her baby. Please do not offer any interventions to decrease pain or increase contractions. Mother wishes to limit obstetric intervention use only as a last resort [obstetric intervention includes vacuum, forceps, and episotomies.] Please let the cord stop pulsating before clamping and cutting. Mother wishes for immediate skin-to-skin contact after baby's birth for at last one hour. Baby is to be breastfed only, please no pacifiers, soothers, or dummies" Etc. As well as what your preferences are for a cesarean. "In case of a cesearean delivery, mother wishes to have a low transverse cut, the screen to be down so she can see her baby being born, and the baby to be placed on the mother's chest as soon as possible, and in the meantime will have skin-to-skin contact with the father." You can even add a section in case your baby dies--something no one wants to think about, and if course the chances are very small, but it can be a great help to have your plans written down when you're calm so you don't have so many decisions to make when actually experiencing the situation.

One of the best things it can be used for is to make sure your doctor/midwife is on board with what you want. Make sure you have them read over your birth plan and sign off on it, or explain to you why s/he feels that your birth plan needs changes. Then if possible, also go over it with the head L&D nurse--and I would defintely suggest this this if you want something that's way outside their norm. At the very least give it to the nurse who will helping you when you get the hospital (and have extra copies for shift changes)--a lot of hosptials now are pairing up their naturally-minded patients with naturally-minded nurses, so it's a good idea to let them know what you want when you get there.

As LeVar Burton used to say: "But you don't have to take my word for it."
riotgrrl
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM

I think for me the most useful thing about having a written birth plan is that you don't have to go over your preferences with the L&D staff every time the shifts change, it's all there in writing for the nurses to see. Most of the time it is the L&D nurses you will be interacting with, your actual provider will likely only be there periodically before and after the birth. My provider and I were on the same page as far as the big picture things about the birth, so my birth plan was really more of a hospital stay plan for the L&D staff about my preferences during labor and for aftercare for myself and the baby, nbt so much for things relating to the actual birth.

aSoldierSWifE44
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Mine was used. Make sure your husband knows it too.. I was incompetant for a portion of the birth and they were trying to do things that I really was against/scared of bc I was not able to realize or object. But he knew it so he kept yelling at them and once they realized he wouldnt cave they went back to my birth plan.

Plus I think its like a goal sheet if you have certain expectations for your delivery. You can physically look at it or verbally go over it and say this is what I am aiming for

ashybaby87
by on May. 25, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I made one but didnt really use it. I discussed things with my doctor before hand & for the most part everything went how i wanted. Next go round when we're ready for baby #2 i plan to make one & follow it through completely. Its just a bit more helpful & organized.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)