Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I don't trust my doctor.

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM
  • 12 Replies

I am not sure what to do. I really don't want to switch obgyn's since the other one in town just got her liscence back and the other I think won his at an arcade. I have a really bad gut feeling that my doctor is wrong about my due date I was measuring at about 25 weeks at my 22 week check and she said it was only because I have gestational diabetes. I have it under control though I have better glucose readings now than I did last pregnancy when I was on insulin. She also never made me take the three hour test after my failed one hour. She forgot my due date and never put it in my chart. I am just so confused and scared what if I am farther along than she says and I go into labor and she pumps my baby full of steroids and all sorts of things. There is another obgyn in her office and I made an appointment with her to see how she is. I just don't know what else to do. I am getting the baby's room done by mid august just in case.

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AngelaMunn82
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:39 AM

I would definitely get a second opinion with the other OB in the practice.

It is also not uncommon for the baby to measure a few weeks ahead of schedule. They don'talways grow by the books. GD could be the culprit, they usually are a big bigger.

Good luck momma!!

Quoting lukesmama_07:

I am not sure what to do. I really don't want to switch obgyn's since the other one in town just got her liscence back and the other I think won his at an arcade. I have a really bad gut feeling that my doctor is wrong about my due date I was measuring at about 25 weeks at my 22 week check and she said it was only because I have gestational diabetes. I have it under control though I have better glucose readings now than I did last pregnancy when I was on insulin. She also never made me take the three hour test after my failed one hour. She forgot my due date and never put it in my chart. I am just so confused and scared what if I am farther along than she says and I go into labor and she pumps my baby full of steroids and all sorts of things. There is another obgyn in her office and I made an appointment with her to see how she is. I just don't know what else to do. I am getting the baby's room done by mid august just in case.

Forget-me-not
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:42 AM

Sweetie, if you don't trust your ob then you will almost certainly have problems in labor. We are mammals and when we are in labor it is vital that we are comfortable, safe and surroundedby those we trust and love if not then just like if you were to stumble across an animal who is laboring your labor will stall enabling you to relocate. It's the whole fight or flight thing. Unfortunatelyin a hospital setting this almost always ends badly because then they up your pitocin which can and almost always leads to more intervention and ending in a c-section. If I were you I would not go back.

Jennifer, Crunchy Student Midwife, Wife and mother to Hannah 12, Abby 8 and  BABY BOY  In June. Ask me about freebirthing?

lukesmama_07
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM

Quoting Forget-me-not:

Sweetie, if you don't trust your ob then you will almost certainly have problems in labor. We are mammals and when we are in labor it is vital that we are comfortable, safe and surroundedby those we trust and love if not then just like if you were to stumble across an animal who is laboring your labor will stall enabling you to relocate. It's the whole fight or flight thing. Unfortunatelyin a hospital setting this almost always ends badly because then they up your pitocin which can and almost always leads to more intervention and ending in a c-section. If I were you I would not go back.

I already have to have a c-section in the town I live they don't allow v-bac's becasue they don't have the staff here t take care of any problems that may happen.

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

iluvmommyhood58
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:56 AM
Well, finding another doctor is good but I think the ultimate test of how "good" a doctor really is, is how a doctor reacts when you disagree or question something he/she says or does. If you feel uncomfortable, by all means, find a new doctor. I think you have a good understanding that doctors can be wrong, they are not gods and a good doctor will not demonstrate an attitude that what he/she says is gospel.
kylebearsmom
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 9:59 AM

Its your right to  switch. I am 36 weeks pregnant and I just switched too. And let me tell you  I already feel so much better about having my baby. I had complications with my 2 child after delivery because of the epidural and expressed all these worries and fears to my doctor and he kinda just blew me off. I am aiming for a natural childbirth and wanted a practitioner that would help me achieve that and I found one! Its not to late for you to change.

GabesMommy08
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:51 AM

CHANGE DOCTORS!! i wasnt sure about my dr when i started going to him and i was right.they messed up a few times and i barely ever saw him.his nurse was the one who i saw unless i had to be checked and then he would come.i hated it but i was to afraid to change dr.s.now i wish i had.when it was time to go to the hospital i had to go 3-4 times within a few hours for him to finially admit me.then when i was having my son he was telling me to be quiet and hold my breath longer and so on.and when i went back after i had my son i of course had a papsmear and they waited 3 months to tell me that it was abnormal.i finally changed then.i would do it now before its too late.

cali4niachef
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 11:22 AM
Quoting lukesmama_07:

Quoting Forget-me-not:

I already have to have a c-section in the town I live they don't allow v-bac's becasue they don't have the staff here t take care of any problems that may happen.

Why do you have to have a c-section?

~ Cindy
Mama to Reed and Jonas, wife to Rodney, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, Student Midwife, certifiably non-certified doula by choice, professionally trained baker, coffee addict, lactavist, birth junkie, born and raised in the San Francisco bay area, born-again Christian and attachment parenting mama!
EuphoricBirthServices.com

CelestesMommy
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Search for certified nurse midwifes in your area.  They could check everything your doctor says.  It might be worth a 1x trip outside of town too, to double check your ob with another if you aren't comfortable with a midwife.  I'm using a midwife now and did with my second and could kick myself for not using one the first time!

lukesmama_07
by on Jun. 12, 2009 at 11:40 PM

Quoting cali4niachef:

Quoting lukesmama_07:

Quoting Forget-me-not:

I had to have one with my son because I never dialated past a four and he got stuck. My other doctor( man I wish he was here) said that it was too high of a risk to make me or DS wait any longer.

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

cali4niachef
by on Jun. 13, 2009 at 12:57 AM

Quoting lukesmama_07:

Quoting cali4niachef:

Quoting lukesmama_07:

Quoting Forget-me-not:

I had to have one with my son because I never dialated past a four and he got stuck. My other doctor( man I wish he was here) said that it was too high of a risk to make me or DS wait any longer.

Honey I'm sorry to say but you've been given incorrect information.

FTP (failure to progress) isn't a real medical condition. It's called impatience on a health care providers part. Women do not dialate according to clocks or schedules. Some may stall or slow down for a variety of reasons, no cause for alarm as long as mom and baby are fine.

What makes you high risk?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)