Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone been on Procardia for preterm labor?

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM
  • 6 Replies

After spending 2 days in the hospital with contractions, they put me on Procardia for 2 weeks to stop them. Has anyone ever been on this? My feet and legs are swollen twice as big as they normally are, and they said that it was normal. They're ok if I don't get up all day, but if I'm up for an hour to go to the store, I can barely bend my ankles or knees. Support hose help, but they still swell.

Also, I am only on them until 37 weeks. Will I go into labor shortly after I stop taking them or what? I wasn't dialated at all when I started having the contractions. They caught them early. Tell me about your labor after being on the pills to stop contractions! Thanks ladies!

pregnancy

Anxiously awaiting the arrival of Grace Kyan!

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Proudmama2009
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:27 PM

I had to be on it. I was about 33 weeks and was supost to take them for a while and well I took them like I was supose to and my water ended up breaking 34 wks and I still had alot more pills to take so for me they didn't work. But I was for some reason dialated to a 4 since I was about 4 months.

My water broke april 2nd 7:30 pm got to the hospital asked me dumb questions like "are you sure your water really broke" umm yeah my capris are fucking wet and i didnt pee my self.. so they checked and it really broke. I wasn't even having bad contractions for a while. I was an 8 when I got my epidural and then I was a 10!! I wasn't in that bad of pain with my contractions but some of them were painful. Finally after 15 1/2 hours I had my baby girl!! On april 3rd 07!!! So my labor wasn't that bad..

Also, may I ask if they have given you steroid shots in your hips to help the baby lungs? If not then if they think you will have your baby early I would ask about those shots. My daughter was 6 wks early and only had to stay in the hospital 5 days cuz she could breath on her own and only thing wrong was her temp wouldnt stay up.

no-drama-momma
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I'm on it with every pregnancy cuz my body actually tries to start labor at about 20 weeks--every pregnancy has been this way for me.  I am on it from 20 weeks until 35 weeks.  For me, with both my 2 successful pregnancies, I was taken off at 35 weeks and had my baby within the next week.  For some reason, I had a weird reaction to it this time so they are trying another medicine, but again, the doc put me on it a few weeks ago and she said I'll be on it until the day they do the c-section (has to be planned and has to be done at 36 weeks).  All of your symptoms and stuff sound normal to me for being on Procardia.

kingandqueen103
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 4:33 PM

Ah, procardia--my old friend.  I have been on procardia since around 26 weeks--for the first time I was in the hospital with contractions.  I was just in the hospital again last week (32 weeks) with even stronger contractions & these actually caused me to dialate to 2 cm.  I really thought I was having my little guy last week, but they were able to get them to stop again & was sent back home on the procardia every 6 hours (it had been bumped to every 8 hours when I complained how sick it was making me--my BP is super low b/c of it).  So you could technically go into labor even being on it (I am walking proof of that!).  Now, with my DD, I had the same problems (contractions starting at 27 weeks), but with her, I was given trebutaline--shots, pills, pump--you name it, I had it.  After all that, I had to be induced as she was a week overdue.  I am 99% sure I will have to have a c-section with this one though b/c he is still breech & is already big (he's measuring 2 weeks ahead).  I've had the beta-methazone shots at 26 weeks (the first time I was in the hospital), so I should know better tomorrow after my appt if I will need another round & when my c-section will be scheduled.  Good luck!  I never had the swelling (except for when I was in the hospital), but drinking lots of water should help. 

eSnA2008
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:04 PM

im on nifedipine which im told is the same thing. ive been on it for about 5 weeks and am supposed to take it till 37 weeks which is still pretty far away because of preterm labor. it doesnt make me swell but it makes my heart race and feel kinda crappy sometimes..

pregnancy week by week

Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks
Richmond14
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:34 PM

Well with my second baby i got into an accident at about 26 weeks which coincidentally caused me to go into pre-term labor. They were able to stop the contractions that time with trebutaline. They sent me home with trebutaline/brethine pills to take every 12 hrs. i believe. Then at 31 weeks i went into labor again ( dilating and everything ) and those same medications would not work so they put me on mag ( YUCK ) and shipped me to a hosp that could handle her if she came that early:( There i sat for 5 days, they took me off the mag after 2 days and watched me on hospital bed rest for 3. After they took me off the mag they put me on Procardia every 6 hrs. to see if it helped and it did so they finally let me go home on strict bed rest untill 36 weeks which is when they told me i could stop taking the meds.  After i got off them i did not deliver until 38 1/2 weeks and the little snot weighed 9 lb. LOL!!! Thankfully though she was perfectly healthy!! I was actually induced with her just because at my last dr appt b4 that i was 3 cm and like 100% so she asked if i wanted to just go ahead and be induced so we set the date for 3 days after my appt. I went in and was already 4 - 5 cm so they started my epi and pitocin and 5 hrs later she came out. My labor so fast with her it was awesome:) Hope everything goes well for you and good luck!!

Richmond14
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 10:39 PM

They gave me steroid shots too just to be safe:) I forgot to add that part:) LOL!!

Quoting Proudmama2009:

I had to be on it. I was about 33 weeks and was supost to take them for a while and well I took them like I was supose to and my water ended up breaking 34 wks and I still had alot more pills to take so for me they didn't work. But I was for some reason dialated to a 4 since I was about 4 months.

My water broke april 2nd 7:30 pm got to the hospital asked me dumb questions like "are you sure your water really broke" umm yeah my capris are fucking wet and i didnt pee my self.. so they checked and it really broke. I wasn't even having bad contractions for a while. I was an 8 when I got my epidural and then I was a 10!! I wasn't in that bad of pain with my contractions but some of them were painful. Finally after 15 1/2 hours I had my baby girl!! On april 3rd 07!!! So my labor wasn't that bad..

Also, may I ask if they have given you steroid shots in your hips to help the baby lungs? If not then if they think you will have your baby early I would ask about those shots. My daughter was 6 wks early and only had to stay in the hospital 5 days cuz she could breath on her own and only thing wrong was her temp wouldnt stay up.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)