Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shortness of breath **PIOG

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM
  • 11 Replies

I posted this in the Newcomer's Club but didn't have much luck, so I thought I'd post it here as well...

I'm 20 weeks pregnant and I have some kind of thyroid issue (we're still testing to determine exactly what it is). I don't know if either of those two things have anything to do with what's going on right now or not. Lately, I have been feeling extremely out of breath. I know feeling out of breath is a somewhat normal pregnancy symptom, but this is my third baby and this is not normal. This is bad. For instance, I am sitting here at my desk completely out of breath. I feel like my heart is going to pound out of my chest right now. If I don't stop and rest (sit somewhere completely still), I will start to lose feelings in my hands and feet and even get lightheaded. I have gotten so lightheaded in the shower that I've had to sit down and stay there for 10-15 minutes at a time (this has happened numerous times). I don't know what's going on. I have an appointment Thursday morning with my OB and was planning on talking to her then, but do you think it's something I should talk to her about sooner, like, tomorrow?

UPDATE: Soon after writing this post last night, I started hyperventilating. It came on suddenly and out of no where. I did go to the ER. They tested my blood sugar for gestational diabetes (my mom's request) and did an EKG. The EKG came back OK but the doctor wants me to have a CT scan to check for pulmonary embolisms. Since the risk of radiation poisoning is so high to my baby, I have to talk to my OB about it first. I've been on WebMD all morning and with my symptoms, a pulmonary embolism is the first thing to pop up on the symptom checker. Now I'm even more frustrated because I went to the ER and still have no answers. No one can tell me what's going on. They said I probably started hyperventilating because I was short of breath and no one was home but me and the kids. I understand that, but why am I short of breath in the first place? And how do I feel so short of breath when I'm not doing anything, but sitting? This doesn't make much sense right now.

UPDATE #2: I called my ob's office and talked to a nurse. I explained everything to her. She wants me to fast before my appointment tomorrow and then have the nurse there test my blood sugar again. She's thinking I may be hypoglycemic. She told me to take Benadryl to ease the shakiness and jitters I'm feeling until we can find out the underlying cause of all this. She said if I don't have the shakiness and heart pounding like I have now, then it may make it easier to breath and, hopefully, no more hyperventilating.

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MoOoSiE
by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:01 PM

I DEFINATELY would call my OB and get the soonest appointment!!  That's not good to be so short of breath.  I was having chest pains when I was 13 weeks pregnant with my first baby, and they done a CT scan and he turned out fine.  They explained to me that the radiation is only truely a threat if it is in your system in large amounts, rather frequently (they told me more than 5 times during pregnancy).  Good luck mama!  PM me if you have any more questions!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

mommymary6507
by Silver Member on Jun. 9, 2009 at 6:02 PM

hello, I am sorry you are not getting many resposes, from what I am hearing this sounds like a panic attack to me, and yes they can come out of anywhere, I have them sometimes, and the feeling of doom comes over you which makes it even more worse..I hope you start feeling better =)

MommySteph06
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:16 AM

It does kind of sound like a panic attack to me too, but I thought panic attacks were brought on by something? Like, something emotional? I don't have any depression or thoughts of something bad happening. I don't know why I would suddenly become panicked and unable to breathe.

Quoting mommymary6507:

hello, I am sorry you are not getting many resposes, from what I am hearing this sounds like a panic attack to me, and yes they can come out of anywhere, I have them sometimes, and the feeling of doom comes over you which makes it even more worse..I hope you start feeling better =)

mommy2xp
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:22 AM

i get te feeling that my chest is tight and my throat closes up and i can't breath at all.  and i'm sitting when it hapens, i went to urgent care and the dr there told me i have acid reflux.  i never knew that caused you to not be able to breath.  i'm suposed to betaking some meds to see if it helps i gotta get those filled.  i think you will pry have to wait titomorrow anyway most obs are filled up,  you could call and see if anyone cancelled.  but def talk to her and see what they say.  i hope it's nothing to bad

kylebearsmom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 9:46 AM

I get the same thing sometimes. I can be sitting on the couch relaxing and my heartbeat will be like 120. I feel like I am not getting enough air and and am completely exhausted. The only thing that makes me feel better is to drink a bunch of water an lay around until I feel rested. At first I was afraid and  thought it had to be something more serious but nothing ever got worse. It actually has gotten better. I sometimes start feeling that way and I know I need to lay down. We may not be experiencing the same thing. I have no pain with these symptoms. Do you have pain? I figured if it was a blood clot or something I would be in some kind of pain. I also cut back on caffeine and I noticed a big difference. It doesnt happen near as often now.

Good luck hope this helps you.

I am 36 weeks and actually started feeling this way at about 24 weeks or so...  This is also my 3rd pregnancy and I never felt this way with the other 2 either.

MommySteph06
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:22 AM

That's pretty much how I feel too. I have no pain anywhere. That's why I wasn't that concerned about getting a CT scan since blood clots are usually pretty painful. I've already cut back on caffeine (ever since the beginning of my pregnancy). It seems like this is getting more and more frequent though. It started just happening in the shower and I would feel faint and have to sit down and eat something. Then it started happening when I was outside sitting down. Then when I was walking. And now when I was just sitting here not excerting myself at all. It's more frequent and worse. IDK. It's weird. This is also my third pregnancy and I haven't felt this way with the other two.

Quoting kylebearsmom:

I get the same thing sometimes. I can be sitting on the couch relaxing and my heartbeat will be like 120. I feel like I am not getting enough air and and am completely exhausted. The only thing that makes me feel better is to drink a bunch of water an lay around until I feel rested. At first I was afraid and  thought it had to be something more serious but nothing ever got worse. It actually has gotten better. I sometimes start feeling that way and I know I need to lay down. We may not be experiencing the same thing. I have no pain with these symptoms. Do you have pain? I figured if it was a blood clot or something I would be in some kind of pain. I also cut back on caffeine and I noticed a big difference. It doesnt happen near as often now.

I am 36 weeks and actually started feeling this way at about 24 weeks or so...  This is also my 3rd pregnancy and I never felt this way with the other 2 either.

kylebearsmom
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:30 AM

Quoting MommySteph06:

That's pretty much how I feel too. I have no pain anywhere. That's why I wasn't that concerned about getting a CT scan since blood clots are usually pretty painful. I've already cut back on caffeine (ever since the beginning of my pregnancy). It seems like this is getting more and more frequent though. It started just happening in the shower and I would feel faint and have to sit down and eat something. Then it started happening when I was outside sitting down. Then when I was walking. And now when I was just sitting here not excerting myself at all. It's more frequent and worse. IDK. It's weird. This is also my third pregnancy and I haven't felt this way with the other two.

Quoting kylebearsmom:

Heat makes it worse for me! Sounds like the same for you too. Especially if its happening in enclosed shower. My friend was having ba dizzy spells kinda like this and the dr told her that the weight of her growing uterus and baby was just compressing one of the main veins that lead to her heart. Not much you can do about it but lay down on your left side and keep hydrated. I kinda thought that was going on with me cause it comes and goes and doesnt seem to serious.

iluvmommyhood58
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 10:40 AM
Hypothyroidism can cause fatigue and weakness. I suppose feeling short of breath could be linked to those symptoms or if you're pregnant and, yes, shortness of breath is common, perhaps a thyroid condition could exacerbate that. There are other symptoms associated with thyroid conditions too but what your describing, shortness of breath, racing heart, lightheadedness... are very non-specific symptoms and can be associated with a barrage of things, anxiety, blood pressure, if you're pregnant, added possibilities like gestational diabetes, preeclampsia/toxemia...

I'd definitely mention that to my doctor and if you're having a real problem with it now, I'd call the doc before my scheduled appt.
MommySteph06
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 11:58 AM

I know it's not hypo- or hyperthyroidism. My T3, T4, and TSH levels all came back normal. They have also tested for poly-something in my blood and autoimmune disorders. Again, all normal. I am scheduled for a thyroid biopsy Friday morning to determine if the goiter is malignant or benign.

They tested my blood sugar at the ER and said it was normal. It was 101. I don't know anything about what "normal" is when it comes to diabetes though. My blood pressure has been normal so far, but I'm only 20 weeks and I know it's a little early to diagnose pre-e (I had it with my second, but the doctor doesn't seem concerned about it happening again).

When I called to talk to the doctor, I talked to a nurse there instead. She's thinking hypoglycemia and when I look up those symptoms on in internet, they seem to fit pretty well (except for the racing heart).

Quoting iluvmommyhood58:

Hypothyroidism can cause fatigue and weakness. I suppose feeling short of breath could be linked to those symptoms or if you're pregnant and, yes, shortness of breath is common, perhaps a thyroid condition could exacerbate that. There are other symptoms associated with thyroid conditions too but what your describing, shortness of breath, racing heart, lightheadedness... are very non-specific symptoms and can be associated with a barrage of things, anxiety, blood pressure, if you're pregnant, added possibilities like gestational diabetes, preeclampsia/toxemia...

I'd definitely mention that to my doctor and if you're having a real problem with it now, I'd call the doc before my scheduled appt.

MommySteph06
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 12:01 PM

I thought it was the heat too. Except this past incident makes me think it's something else because I was sitting in my house (with the AC on) and not doing anything but typing (on CM...lol) when I started feeling like this. I don't know what's going on. What kind of tests did the doctors do for you? Same things they are doing for me? I'm just wondering, because it does seem like we're having pretty similar symptoms.

Quoting kylebearsmom:

Quoting MommySteph06:

Quoting kylebearsmom:

Heat makes it worse for me! Sounds like the same for you too. Especially if its happening in enclosed shower. My friend was having ba dizzy spells kinda like this and the dr told her that the weight of her growing uterus and baby was just compressing one of the main veins that lead to her heart. Not much you can do about it but lay down on your left side and keep hydrated. I kinda thought that was going on with me cause it comes and goes and doesnt seem to serious.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)