Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Scary incident at work!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM
  • 17 Replies

So, I work at KMart, and the last job I had was an office job (for 5 years) so I pretty much have gotten used to sitting on my a$$! I have been working here for almost a month and I'm 11 weeks now, and although I'm a bit afraid to tell everyone I'm prego (they just hired a 6month prego girl! I just don't know how to say it!) I guess my body decided it was time for the news to come out whether I liked it or not! On Friday, I was up front on the registers and then I had to go down to the mall entrance, I usually don't mind because then I am the only cashier, and its ALOT busier, so time goes quicker. That also puts me next to the cafe, which always has weird combinations of smells coming from it. Well, on the walk down, the lady that was walking me is as sweet as can be, and I just said something about how my stomach didn't feel too good that day, her response was "Well, if you have to go home, you go home!" That made me feel better about telling them I didn't feel like being there if it got worse. I had barely been there an hour and of course I had a line of 5 or 6 people and my stomach ache turned into me pouring sweat and getting a little bit light headed. I told the people that were there I was sorry, but I had to run and get a drink. I ran and got a drink from the water fountain and quickly ran back. Again a few minutes later, I got even more lightheaded than before and started to black out or pass out! I then told them I think I'm going to be sick, and ran to the bathroom again! I sat down on the toilet just to sit for a minute to get myself together. I went out to put cold water on my face and looked in the mirror and I was very pale, and GREEN! I have never seen a shade like that on anyone's face! I told the ladies in the cafe to call the front desk and that I wasn't going to be able to stay, so they did, but of course like everything else, 10 minutes later, I called back and they said "yeah, we are getting someone down there as fast as we can" while there are 5 registers open up front!! The front supervisor came down (who cant be much older than I am, maybe 26 or 28) and this other sweet girl I like who is 22. Of course they start asking what happened, and I was so scared, I burst into tears. They then asked if I'm pregnant, so what could I say!?!? Then the supoervisor said the most rediculous thing I have ever heard! "You know, you CAN drink too much water!" WTF is that about? I KNOW that isn't true!!

Anyway, I walked back up with her and she starts telling me shes going to put me on whatever register up there, and I informed her, NO! I want to go home! There was no way I was going to stay there and feel like that all day!

So I scared the hell out of myself, and I didn't know if anyone had any idea what in the world that was about! I came home and ate a sandwich, although I wasn't too hungry and felt fine pretty much as soon as I left there!

Cady ~ married to Loco 4/21/07, mom to Elizabeth Milagro 6/27/07

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SamanthaRae_bby
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:32 PM

did you eat before you went to work? when I first found out I was pregnant, if i hadnt eaten i would get sick and feel like i was going to pass out.

i'm sorry youre having to go thru being sick at work. i hope you start to feel better at work instead of having a repeat of this day. :]

Pregnancy ticker
My baby girl! Coming soon!
marriedmomma3
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:34 PM

actually you can drink too much water.  That was not your problem but you can actually die from drinking too much water. You basically drown yourself.

Keep candies in your pocket to munch on. It happened to me when I worked retail

pregnancy due date

baby

babies
iamcafemom83
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2009 at 8:38 PM

whoa, so she was like, so you're pregnant, you have to stay and work? crazy. i work for target, and i know exactly how u feel! not much u can do when you're feeling like that, but just to get off for awhile. that's why i decided to tell my boss, if no one else, so at least she is in the loop. i hope it gets better for ya!

marriedmomma3
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:17 PM

I had to quit Target when I was pregnant with my son

Quoting iamcafemom83:

whoa, so she was like, so you're pregnant, you have to stay and work? crazy. i work for target, and i know exactly how u feel! not much u can do when you're feeling like that, but just to get off for awhile. that's why i decided to tell my boss, if no one else, so at least she is in the loop. i hope it gets better for ya!

pregnancy due date

baby

babies
elismom122003
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 9:27 PM

Yup you can drink too much water and it can be fatal, but of course you have to go overboard.

Quoting marriedmomma3:

actually you can drink too much water.  That was not your problem but you can actually die from drinking too much water. You basically drown yourself.

Keep candies in your pocket to munch on. It happened to me when I worked retail

pregnant

CaddyG
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:26 PM

I definately don't think there is any way I can drink too much water! I hate the stuff, I had just started drinking some since that was all there was in the fountain! I got a cup of ice just so it wouldn't be gross. I don't really drink more than 2 bottles of water a day, and I think there was probably only a day or two that I even drank that much!

I just thought it was stupid of her to say just because I told her I started chugging water to make me feel better. Would she rather I had passed out on the floor? I hadn't even drank a glass of water by then!

I had definately eaten a huge bowl of cereal that morning, but another girl that worked there said it sounded to her like low blood sugar. She is diabetic and I'm not, but knowing that I had eaten a chocolate bar the night before and sweet cereal for breakfast, I could see how the difference would make my body feel that way!

Thanks for all the support and help, I just didn't know what else to do! I don't want to stand there all day when I felt like that! I just wanted some support somewhere, my husband wasn't doing too good in that department, so THANKS!!!

Cady ~ married to Loco 4/21/07, mom to Elizabeth Milagro 6/27/07

iluvmommyhood58
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:30 PM
Actually, you CAN drink too much water and die from it. But, that would be a lot more water than it sounds like you were drinking.
pugmama
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:42 PM

i know exactly how you felt.  i was in the check out line at the grocery store during my last pregnancy and the same thing happened to me.  i had my 1 1/2 yr old in the cart and the lady was checking me out, but i got the same feeling you described and i had to sit down, right there in line.  my son was like, "mommy, where you go?"  and the lady was asking if i needed an ambulance.  i was like, "no, i'm just pregnant."  =)  i'd never had it happen before and it didn't happen again.  but that one time was a really bad incident.  i had nausea with both pregnancies, but that was a whole new level of sick.

like others have said, do your best to eat regularly.  even if it's just a small amount.  protien bars are good, like luna or clif bars.  lots of nutrients packed in them.  and of course, stay hydrated. 

=)

s.h.star
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM

I worked as a manager at McDonalds with my last pregnancy. I would get sick and have to sit down for up to 15 min at the most. It sucked but I dealt with it. I worked full time up till I was 8 months. With my last pregnancy I didn't get sick as much as with the 1st. Is this your 1st baby?

AND PRACTICE FREE SPEECH AT http://www.cafemom.com/group/33103

IF YOUR A LIBRA JOIN http://www.cafemom.com/group/22605

Check out my graphic tees and baby gear at http://www.zazzle.com/serena07

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 10:33 PM

Have you been tested for gestational diabetes yet? My OB said the new standard is to test early- during the 1st trimester. I never understood why they waited until we're nearly a third of the way done before testing. Anyway, my nursing instructor has us remember this saying to determine if the problem might be low blood sugar or high blood sugar- "cold, pale, and clammy- need some candy. Hot, flushed, and dry- sugar high". If you feel that way again, try drinking some orange juice, or eating something with carbs in it. Hope work goes okay!

Quoting CaddyG:

I definately don't think there is any way I can drink too much water! I hate the stuff, I had just started drinking some since that was all there was in the fountain! I got a cup of ice just so it wouldn't be gross. I don't really drink more than 2 bottles of water a day, and I think there was probably only a day or two that I even drank that much!

I just thought it was stupid of her to say just because I told her I started chugging water to make me feel better. Would she rather I had passed out on the floor? I hadn't even drank a glass of water by then!

I had definately eaten a huge bowl of cereal that morning, but another girl that worked there said it sounded to her like low blood sugar. She is diabetic and I'm not, but knowing that I had eaten a chocolate bar the night before and sweet cereal for breakfast, I could see how the difference would make my body feel that way!

Thanks for all the support and help, I just didn't know what else to do! I don't want to stand there all day when I felt like that! I just wanted some support somewhere, my husband wasn't doing too good in that department, so THANKS!!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)