Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

am i about to go into labor

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:07 PM
  • 12 Replies

hi ladies i am 37weeks pregnany with my first child well you see i dont know what to expect out of labor so this is what goin on with me............ive been noticing yhat latley ive been hurtin alot down there sorry tmi but  could just be sittin down and it really starts to hurtand then on top of  that i feel like i keep gettin contractions b ut i dont know if tey are real or if they are those braxton hicks ive been timing them and today they started out 18 mins apart and then they just kinda faded away so i dont know what is goin on someone please help me i dont know what to expect i dont know what to do or think but part of me feels like im not gonna make it through the next two days so what about yall did your body ever tell you that you werent gonna make it im mean besides the obvious contractions but like the day before labor did you just feel like it was gonna be the day....

by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
virgobaby1978
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:11 PM

If you change positions and the contractions go away they are BH. The discomfort can last for weeks since baby is getting bigger and has no room to move. But there is also a good chance that you will have him/her in the next week to 4 weeks. Good luck

makanfernie
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:18 PM

oh yea not to be tmi again but ive noticed with whatever  i eat i start to get diarhea or soft stools and another ? how do you know when you lose your mucus plug what does it look like

Shortfuse007
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:23 PM

Contractions, diahrrea and rectal pressure are all signs of labor. However, if your contractions are sporadic, with no true pattern and end after awhile, then what you're feeling are Braxton Hicks contractions--very normal. These are to help prepare your body for labor. They may be uncomfortable. If they get painful, keep an eye on the clock.

Your mucus plug is just that, mucus. You'll see a thick glob, or a few thick globs over a day or so...sometimes more. You may also see a little blood or it may be tinged a slight pink. Just because you lose your plug does not necessarily mean labor is going to happen that minute, or that day. But it does mean that your body is preparing.

Lower back pain, abdominal pain or contractions, shakes, diahrrea, vomitting are all signs of labor. The shakes will/may happen during transition while you're dialating. All are completely normal. If at any time you see blood/start bleeding call your OB. Remember to drink plenty of clear fluids to keep yourself hydrated.

Good luck!

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER 2009 BABIES GROUP OWNER
marywilliams
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:24 PM

I had no warning or signs that labor was starting.  I was kind of uncomfortable the night before, but only in hindsight do I realize what was going on.  I did not have any contractions (that I could feel) until the day I had my baby.  I went from being fine and joking about not having a Thanksgiving baby to telling my husband we better go to the hospital in a matter of a few hours.

For me, contractions were strong enough to make me stop what I was doing and not being able to breathe for a minute.

Fast labor is hereditary, my mom had very fast labor as did my sister.  We got to the hospital about 3pm, hooked up to the fetal monitor at 3:45 and at 5:36pm we had a baby girl!  The next one will probably be fast as well.  My sister was induced because her labor was so fast they were scared she wouldn't make it to the hospital!

Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

kelleysangels
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM

well i feel ya on that diarrheah stuff because I have had the same thing going on and im almost 37 weeks.  But no one seems to know whether it has anything to do with labor or not.  But as far as your mucus plug, you will know because it is somewhat different from regular discharge.  It is thick mucus.  Its rubbery or something.  It looks different.  YOu will know, trust me.  And sometimes it has a little blood in it.  Pink or Brown.   Good Luck!

masesmom
by on Jul. 5, 2009 at 11:34 PM

Hi!  I can totally relate with you.  I am also 37 weeks.  And seriously the last few days have been the worst so far.   Every position is incredibly uncomfortable and i feel huge,  Braxton hicks are crazy, and like you sometimes i feel like i should be timing them, but i dont.  I have been incredibly emotional for rediculous reasons like my husband going somewhere to not being able to sleep.  

As far as the mucus plug, im not sure much about it, cuz i didnt lose it with my first child.  But the last two days i have had brownish discharge (tmi)   and from what ive read its the start of the mucus plug but it doesnt sound like its any indication of labor :)        

And im sick of people looking at me and asking me how much longer and reminding me that it still could be 3 or more weeks.....UGH!

GOOD luck toYOU!  :)

MommySteph06
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:19 AM

It doesn't sound like it's time to me. The pain down there is the baby moving it's way downward and causing a lot of pressure on your pelvis. It means yours baby's getting into position, but it could be in the position for a few weeks more.

Don't worry about contractions until they are in even increments. Like 5 mins for a while, then 4, then 3...and so on. Not if they are 10 mins apart, 5 mins apart, back to 10, down to 3 and just all over. Also, if you change positions and they stop, they are not real contractions. With real contractions, no position will stop them (different positions may ease the discomfort, but not stop them).

With me, my first came unexpectedly. Well, I expected her "any day now" (I was 39 w, 4 d), but not really that day, KWIM? I woke up early with contractions 4 mins apart and terrible back pain. It was time. My second was different. I had bad contractions the day before. I actually went to the hospital thinking I was in labor, but the contractions weren't registering and they were too far apart so they sent me home. I woke up the next morning with contractions again but refused to go to hospital. My mom was literally pushing me out of my front door at about 11am when my contractions were less than 2 minutes apart. I had him at 3pm.

Pregnancy Ticker

in lovetoddler girltoddler boyexpecting boy

Steve&Steph                Kayla             Brennan                Baby Boy
   11/2004                  10/28/06            3/16/08              Due 10/27/09

cllasater
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:26 AM

if you have regular contractions {ie 18 mins apart consistently} that dont get closer together, are not getting increasingly more uncomfortable, and eventually go away.. its called false labor. happened to me with both of my kids. Its just your body geering up to go into labor. your 37 weeks so your close, but i dont think this necessarily means your about to go into labor in the next day or 2.. it could, but its not likely. The only warning sign I had was with my first and i had diareah all night long and woke up in active labor. with my 2nd i went into labor out of nowhere dialated to 5 and a half cm, and the contractions stopped so i went home and was back 2 days later to finish, so i was kind of expecting it after i was already almost 6 cm! lol

hang in there, your baby will be here soon and when its time, youll know it and you wont have to question it at all. = )

cllasater
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:29 AM

Quoting makanfernie:

oh yea not to be tmi again but ive noticed with whatever  i eat i start to get diarhea or soft stools and another ? how do you know when you lose your mucus plug what does it look like

do a google image search for mucus plug.. thatll give you a good idea its gross but at least youll know. and even if you loose it, it doesnt mean you have to go into labor i lost mine a few times with my first because it regnerates itseld after i think like 24 or 48 hrs.. so thats not a sure fire labor sign either..

virgobaby1978
by on Jul. 6, 2009 at 1:34 AM

Not always true, I am on #7 and I have had these problems since about 25 weeks. The Bh are starting now and I am 32 weeks now. It just depends on the person and their body. The mucus plug can look different usually you will get a bloodly snotty looking mucus, I agree with another poster google mucus plug and look at the images to get an idea.

Quoting Shortfuse007:

Contractions, diahrrea and rectal pressure are all signs of labor. However, if your contractions are sporadic, with no true pattern and end after awhile, then what you're feeling are Braxton Hicks contractions--very normal. These are to help prepare your body for labor. They may be uncomfortable. If they get painful, keep an eye on the clock.

Your mucus plug is just that, mucus. You'll see a thick glob, or a few thick globs over a day or so...sometimes more. You may also see a little blood or it may be tinged a slight pink. Just because you lose your plug does not necessarily mean labor is going to happen that minute, or that day. But it does mean that your body is preparing.

Lower back pain, abdominal pain or contractions, shakes, diahrrea, vomitting are all signs of labor. The shakes will/may happen during transition while you're dialating. All are completely normal. If at any time you see blood/start bleeding call your OB. Remember to drink plenty of clear fluids to keep yourself hydrated.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)