Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

bad abdominal cramps diarrhea (sorry tmi)

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM
  • 6 Replies

i am 26 weeks pregnant.  this evening I started getting really horrible abdomial cramps and then liquid diarrhea a little later (sorry gross i know).  I googled it and kept seeing "early labor" and other problems.  Could it just be normal?  I ate normal food all day, nothing that could have made me sick.  I think I remember experiencing something similar with my son,. but I was further along.  Anyone else have the same thing?  thanks

by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 1:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Kayla42388
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 2:04 AM

I had a simular experience when I was like 30 weeks along. I think it was something I ate though. Other than that I was constipated for the whole 9 months! lol. I would talk with your doctor and make sure you aren't going into pre-term labor. Good luck, and I hope you have no more of the diarrhea, that is no fun! For anybody!

MissAndrea125
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 2:19 AM

That happened to me too, I don't remember how far along I was, I guess around 30 weeks or so. I remember thinking it hurt like I was in labor, but it was way too early to be labor. It was in the middle of the night. I sat on the potty and started crying and calling for my DH, and he came in there and sat in front of me and watched me squirm around in pain, asking if he should call the ER, but then I started going, and he said "I can't believe you just woke me up to come in here so you could poop." It was funny as hell, but it seriously hurt like hell for like 5 minutes! 

Mom2Jack04
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:00 AM

You never know what you can eat that can just have that ONE bacteria that will bother you.  If it continues to happen with cramps you *might* have gallstones, but I would only say that if it continues very frequently. 

I had my gallbladder removed 5 years ago because it was a solid mass of stones....and another side effect of NOT having one is even more diarrhea.  Sadly, it's something i've dealt with daily for the last 5 years. 

But both gallstones and kidney stones ARE more frequently seen in pregnant women.  With my first pregnancy 6 years ago I had BOTH!

dbp00
by on Jul. 17, 2009 at 8:18 AM

At my first Dr. apt the Dr. asked me if I had had bad diarrhea or comstipation so I guess either is normal during pregnancy-except that they really bad of the two extremes isn't.  The next week I started to get dirreah but have always had a really upsetable stomach.  I am in the end of the 2nd trimester now and still no constipation and do get an diarreah sometimes but not where it hurts that bad.  I'd call the nurse and see-better to let them know you know.  I did look it up too-it is scary!!! the only thing I could find too was that it was the start of early labor but I am not having cramps or anything. Hope u feel better.

TruePuppyLove
by on Jul. 19, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Well this is my 1st pregnancy at 37, so I was very curious and surprised when it seemed that I started having very loose diarhea like BM's (tmi, I know) as soon as my pregnancy test came back positive. My doctor said that constipation or diarhea can be normal. i didn't have massive pains or anything, but as everyone I know was complaining about being constipated when pregnant, here I was with daily diarhea. i still think it is better than constipation...hoping not to get to compare. The problem has now seemed to go awayfor the most part.

PS. The doctor said maybe I was too worried about staying hydrated and taking in too much water or maybe it was just me. Of course he also told me that I am not "allowed" to tell anyone in the waiting room who asks, "how are you feeling?" that I feel just great. LOL He jokingly said that the women who are sick will hate me.  Everytime I see him I am paranoid and keep asking, "Aren't I supposed to be sick and feel horrible? Is something wrong with the baby because I don't even really feel pregnant, let alone sick????" He said some people just get lucky. I told him that to date, I am NEVER lucky. He just keeps laughing and saying well maybe it is your time for luck. YOu and the baby are fine.

matthewsmommysd
by on Jul. 25, 2009 at 3:26 AM

ok so heres the thing... i tried the looking things up online route... but every time i did that it ended up freaking me out id get all pannicked over nothing, cause all this stress on the baby. theres one thing i was told... never trust what you read online... anybody can put any sort of info out there that they want. if you are worried about something, do what is best for you and your baby, call your doctor. i looked up online what it means when there are changes in your babies movement patern and what i found freaked me out big time. it said stuff about still birth, i went to work that day an emotional wreck. called my doc and felt a ton better. since that day i call the doc first i dont need to freak like that again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)