• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Induction tips?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM
  • 4 Replies

Okay, so I was initially 100% opposed to being induced, but after a frank discussion with my doctor, who is awesome, I have decided that unless she comes on her own, the induction is the best way to go.  Before I get lectures about it... I will be induced because I have a blood-clotting disorder and this is my second pregnancy.  Statistics for my disorder show that subsequent pregnancies have a high incidence of 'fetal demise' after 39 weeks.  I would rather have her out a little earlier than she may be ready for than risk her life because it's not what I want.

What I am asking for now is advice from mommies who were induced.  My doctor will be starting with a cervical ripener and has promised to avoid pitocin unless absolutely necessary.  I have already decided that while I do not plan to have an epidural, I am not completely against it either... in other words I don't view getting one as a failure, I just want to try to avoid it.

I am NOT looking for advice on reasons to not be induced.  The decision is made and I am okay with it.  Thank you!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jasey929
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 1:52 PM
I was induced at 36 weeks due to dangerously high blood pressure by the doc breaking my waters in the hospital. He broke my water at 830 a.m and I labored through the day(just mild contractions, it was easy) then at 3p.m they started getting almost back to back so I opted for the epidural and after that it went by quick and i had a great delivery, she was healthy and everything went smooth. They did end of having to use pitocin the last few hours but I didn't have a bad experience with it. I know some people have on CM by reading their posts but I didn't. Good luck.
Ati_13
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM

Which cervical ripeners will your doc be using?  Cytotec is not recomended, but Cervidil and Prepidil are approved for use in pregnancy.  Cytotec cannot be adequately controlled (they cut an ulcer pill in quarters, making for some rather inaccurate dosages).  If you can, go with Cervidil or Prepidil.  That said, neither of those medications was available when I had my daughter by induction (due to high b/p) and so I consented to the Cytotec.  Pitocin can be HORRIBLE if you don't have a ripe cervix.  In other words, you will have contractions from HELL (which you might get from the cytotec anyway), and never dilate, necessitating either another trial of labor or a c-section if they have broken your water.

I don't have any science to back this up, but I think that breaking your water early in your labor is a bad idea as well.  Once that happens there is no "trying again later".  It's now or never, because of the risk of infection.  I'd wait until you have established a good labor pattern before concenting to that.  I made my midwife wait, and my water ended up breaking on it's own (yay).

As for the pitocin... my dear, I'm not going to lie.  Everyone I've talked to who had it both ways says that pitocin is way worse.  I managed my labor without the use of pain medication and I was on a LOT of pit.  So you CAN do it!  But I did request the IV narcotics.  I got lucky and my nurse had read my birth plan and knew how important it was to me to have my baby without pain medication.  She talked me out of it until I wanted it SO bad, but I couldn't speak any more.  I had a fast labor, though (7 hours, about 45 min of that in transition).  I was lucky that it went so fast, but transition, though it is the hardest part of labor, it is also the shortest.  Just when you think you can't possibly do it any more it's over and you're pushing.  Pushing was really easy for me, because my contractions stopped hurting when I pushed with them.  Then my baby was born 5 minutes later :)

My best advice is to stay upright as much as possible.  I was confined to my left side because of my blood pressure.  When I would get up to go to the bathroom my contractions were HALF as painful as they were when I was laying down.  It was torture to have to get back in bed.  But because you will not be in bed because of blood pressure problems, you can be up and moving around.

I know that all this sounds scary, and it is definately not ideal.  But YOU CAN DO IT!  Just know that the cascade of interventions has already begun before your labor has even started and be ready to head them off at the pass. 

Good luck!

kmstockwell
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:33 PM

Thank you so much for your honest post.  With my first delivery, my water broke before I had any other labor, so I wound up having pitocin.  So I can totally relate to everything you said about it.  I had back to back contractions for what seemed like hour upon hour and wound up getting an epidural which did not work for the contractions AT ALL.  I also had the same experience where once I was pushing, the contractions did not hurt.  My labor that time was a total of 10 hours starting with my water breaking.

Oh, and he will be using the Prepadil one.  Thanks for the info though :)

kylebearsmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:50 PM

I was induced with my 3rd child a few weeks ago (july 9th) and I was like you I did not want to do it at all. But everything doesnt always work out the wayt that you want it to. I was 5 days past my due date and it was time. I went to the hospital at 6am and they started me on piticon at around 7:30am. I let the nurse know before we even started the iv that I didnt want an epidural because of  complications that I had last time I got one, that way it wasnt offered to me when I was in pretty severe pain and I just let her know that I knew it was available and if I needed it I would ask. I started feeling contractions around 8am and they were mild but they eventually started getting stronger. I would say the contractions were no different then when I labored with my other children. They got worse after they broke my water around 11am. I was dilated to about an 8 by then. I had my son after a few short pushes at 12:23 pm. I did all this with out an epidural or pain meds. It can be done!!! It was hard but totally worth it. You just have to remember that when it gets really intense your almost done! My whole birth experience was perfect. You have nothing to worry about. I was afraid of them making me stay in bed the whole time, but my doctor had me change positions from laying down to sitting on the birthing ball, to standing every 20 minutes to keep my labor going and it really worked. It also helped keep my mind busy. I had no complications and neither did my baby he scored a 9.9 on his apgar test after he was born.  We both go to go home the next day.

So dont worry about it you and your baby will be fine. Its really not as bad as everyone lets on. Labor and delivery are going to be hard no matter what.... But you can do it!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)