Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

First Dr.'s Appointment

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM
  • 9 Replies

I just found out that I'm pregnant.  I called today to make a dr.'s apt, and they don't want to see me until the first week of September.  And my first appointment with the Dr. is in Oct.  Is it normal to wait that long for my first appointment?

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
lilmomma20
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:02 PM
they made me wait till i was 11 weeks to go in
MrsPilat
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:13 PM

Not sure how far along you'll be but yes they usually don't want to see you till your about 8-12 weeks. I was 8 weeks when I went in...I didn't even meet with a dr. just the ultra sound tech.

PaigeAlysse
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:19 PM

Yea, here they don't see you until about 8-12 weeks. Then, you meet with the nurse and a few days later with the dr. and she does an ultrasound to look at the heartbeat. I can't wait! I have my appt with the nurse on the 6 and with dr. on the 10. I'll be about 9 weeks.

ereed
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I went in to the dr. at 3-4 weeks because I wanted them to check my hcg levels and progesterone levels.  I had no problem getting in that early.  But I've heard that the first doctor's appt is usually in the latter part of the first tri.  My progesterone levels were low so I'm glad I got them checked.  Now I'm taking progesterone.

meesa0210
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:09 PM

My doc doesn't make you wait that long. I found out I was preg. at 3w4d, called the next day to make my appointment and got in at 5w. But from what I understand on here a lot of docs don't want you coming in that early cause they want to make sure the preg sticks. I'm sure you'll be fine. You'd be bout 9 weeks right?

Starchild84
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM

It would be right at 10 weeks.

jaynam1881
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:53 PM

my doctors like to get you in before 12 weeks so you can get genetic testing if you want. But, normally not earlier than 8 weeks.

wifey26
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Yeah it is normal most doctors in my area wont even give you an appointment until you are like 12 weeks along.... I am 6 weeks along... and my first appt is not until Aug 14.... I can t wait!!! Congrats on your preggo-ness!!!!

CafeMom Tickers
Starchild84
by on Aug. 2, 2009 at 11:03 PM

I guess I won't be needing those appointments after all.  I've started cramping and bleeding a lot tonight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)