• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Constipation TMI, please help!

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM
  • 8 Replies

I am in SOOO much freaking pain! I can't even move without doubling over from the pain. I am sure it is constipation or just REALLY bad trapped gas. It hurts so freaking bad I can't stand it anymore. I took Milk of Magnesia 14 hours ago and still no results whatsoever. I am 38 weeks pregnant and I don't know what else I can do, or if I should take more Milk of Mag. I know that I don't want to over do the laxative because I sure as heck don't want to go into labor with diarrhea! Could someone please tell me what I can do to get some relief from this pain? It feels like I am being stabbed in my lower abdomen and I don't know what to do, every movement hurts so badly. I usually take a stool softener but have been out for the last few days. Like a smarty I thought I would wait until Thursday when I see my Dr. for a refill, but appearantly that was STUPID!

pregnant

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
tiny_mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:11 PM

This sounds really dumb... but.. ok..

Egg salad sandwich on whole wheat bread.... Seriously. I've been constipated this whole pregnancy and NOTHING HELPS! If I eat a bunch of fiber I blow up like a balloon and still don't poop!

I had an egg salad sandwich for lunch a few days ago... OMG.. I RAN to the potty! I've had one for lunch ever since... 15-20 mins later.. I gotta GO! LOL.

Hope it works for you..

Oh..

I also discovered tuna salad works too. lol.

The things we have to go through. ;)

Jackie

baby development pregnancy calendar

Pregnancy ticker

MommySteph06
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:15 PM

You shouldn't have to get a prescription for a stool softener. They sell plenty OTC that are prego-safe. Metamucil, Colace, and Citracil are all ones that OK (along with milk of magnesia but you already knew that).

It's a shot in the dark, but are you taking iron supplements? When I get constipated, I will stop taking my iron supplements for a few days and I'm all better. (In the mean time I will be sure to eat lots of iron rich food).

Pregnancy Ticker

in lovetoddler girltoddler boyexpecting boy

Steve&Steph                Kayla             Brennan                Baby Boy
   11/2004                  10/28/06            3/16/08              Due 10/27/09

elismom122003
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 2:27 PM

I take the prescription stool softener because that is what my doctor gave me, it is the equivalent to colace, just covered by my insurance.  I am on iron and I think I will stop taking it for a few because my stool is black (tmi sorry), but I know from working in healthcare that, that is from my iron. I think I will try this. And to the pp, I may just try eating egg salad later on today when I can stomach the thought of food. Thanks, I really hope something happens.

Quoting MommySteph06:

You shouldn't have to get a prescription for a stool softener. They sell plenty OTC that are prego-safe. Metamucil, Colace, and Citracil are all ones that OK (along with milk of magnesia but you already knew that).

It's a shot in the dark, but are you taking iron supplements? When I get constipated, I will stop taking my iron supplements for a few days and I'm all better. (In the mean time I will be sure to eat lots of iron rich food).

pregnant

tiny_mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Don't forget to drink TONS of water... and going for a walk can help get things moving.

Eating things high in iron and skipping the supplement can help your body absorb more of the iron so you don't end up constipated. (leafy greens!)

Also, make sure you're eating foods high in fiber (wheat bread instead of white, fruit instead of fruit juice, etc)

Good luck!

Jackie

Pregnancy ticker

Chrissy9479
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM

OMG I'm so glad im not the only one!! For some reason today my lower back like right where my kidneys are, was so painful and I knew it was gas but I couldnt get rid of it! When I got home from work I was finally able to go and I feel like 10 pounds lighter and my back stopped hurting so yay!!

I know the only thing that helps me go is drinking hot chocolate, I have no idea why but yeah it works for me lol.

tiny_mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 3:11 PM

Quoting Chrissy9479:

OMG I'm so glad im not the only one!! For some reason today my lower back like right where my kidneys are, was so painful and I knew it was gas but I couldnt get rid of it! When I got home from work I was finally able to go and I feel like 10 pounds lighter and my back stopped hurting so yay!!

I know the only thing that helps me go is drinking hot chocolate, I have no idea why but yeah it works for me lol.

Cold chocolate milk does it for me. lmao.

Jackie

Pregnancy ticker

elismom122003
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:07 PM

I wish it worked for me. I drink Ovaltine everyday, sometimes even twice!  I am drinking plenty of water, but nothing is working. I can't believe the milk of mag still hasn't worked! It's making me thinki there is something wrong with me becuase milk of mag usually makes me go a lot and I can't go at all. My doctors office still hasnt' called me back and I have called twice. I hurt so bad it is rediculous, I seriously can't even bend at all or it kills. I want to take more milk of mag, but what if end up going into labor? Then I could have a HORRIBLE mess. Lol.

Quoting tiny_mama:

Quoting Chrissy9479:

pregnant

tiny_mama
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 4:33 PM

If all else fails you can always use an enema! :(

Quoting elismom122003:

I wish it worked for me. I drink Ovaltine everyday, sometimes even twice!  I am drinking plenty of water, but nothing is working. I can't believe the milk of mag still hasn't worked! It's making me thinki there is something wrong with me becuase milk of mag usually makes me go a lot and I can't go at all. My doctors office still hasnt' called me back and I have called twice. I hurt so bad it is rediculous, I seriously can't even bend at all or it kills. I want to take more milk of mag, but what if end up going into labor? Then I could have a HORRIBLE mess. Lol.

Quoting tiny_mama:

Quoting Chrissy9479:

Jackie

Pregnancy ticker

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)