Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

At what week..?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM
  • 21 Replies

I will be 31 weeks next week and I will start going to the Dr every 2 weeks.  Will the Dr start checking me for dilation?  This is my first pregnancy.

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 5:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TigerBaby69
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:09 PM

With my first they started checking me at 34 weeks

babies
babies
Lena-Loo
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:15 PM
More than likely yes. They started checking my sis at 30wks(she was NOT high risk) But it can depend on the doc.
virgobaby1978
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:22 PM

They checked me the first time last week I was 34 weeks.

anashadow
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:23 PM

im 38 weeks and i just got checked for the first time at my last appt. monday :/  you could also ask to be checked if you like, but i wouldnt think much of it until at least 34 or 35 weeks

pregnant
cristina0709
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:27 PM

i never was checked. i went with a midwife. usually midwifes wont check cuz if they do it can cause pre dialation and all that before your body is ready.also if you do get checked and kept getting told that you are at 1 or 2 cm (lie what happened to my mom) you will go crazy and get worried because you are not progressing. i thouhgt i had until 42 weeks cuz my midwife said morst first timers go past 40 week but i had him at 39 wks and 2 days. my DF checked me once though cuz he knows up there better (LMAO) and freaked when he said his finger could kinda go in. after that i was so anxious the slightest difference in my BH contractions sent me haywire.

Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie

BooBearsMomma
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:31 PM

My dr starts checking at 37 weeks.

preview image

Natedogsmommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM

just depends on the dr. i was 34 weeks when i went last week and i have been having cramping and he told me they could check me if i wanted them too but he really thought everything was fine.

But i go back in 2 weeks and i know i will have my 36 week ultrasound to see if baby is head down and get checked for that group b strep but i don't know if they will check me or not. But with my 1st son i think i was around 37 weeks when they started checking me.

masesmom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:53 PM

They started checking me at 36 weeks.

eema.gray
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:42 AM
The OB I saw for my first starts checking at 36 weeks. The midwife I'm seeing now is not doing any checks before I get to the hospital! Cervical dilation and effacement don't tell you anything about when you'll go into labor - I was 60% effaced (cervix thinning out) for about five weeks before my son was born. The only information a doctor can get from dilation and effacement is calculating a Bishop's Score, which is a way of determining if induction will be successful or not. The baby's position in your uterus and how low s/he is can be determined manually. I don't think they're necessary but many women don't mind having the numbers. It's one of those things that won't hurt you if you do it and won't hurt if you don't.
babydsmommy18
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:45 AM

With my son my doctor checked me at 32 weeks and i was 0 well she Did not check me at my 34 week app. and i had my son that day.. They start checking arounf 33-36 weeks it depends on the doc.

Are you ready for this? I am a 19 year old re-married Mommy to a co-sleeping,Breastfeeding till 13 months, No CIO,Luvs wearing,Baby wearing,Mommy's boy Named Donovan that was born 6 weeks To early and A baby Girl on the way!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)