Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Epidural question...

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM
  • 33 Replies

Well, ever since I got pregnant I have been all for an epidural.  But, I started reading the risks and side effects of it, and now I'm starting to think that I wouldn't need one, so, why risk it.  You know?  Besides, I know I'd be soooo proud of myself if I did it without drugs.  So, my question to all you momma's out there that have had kids already, please tell me your good and bad thoughts or experiances regarding epidurals.  Please tell me opinions, anything you want to say.  I need all the input I can get, I'm trying to decide if I should or shouldn't get an epi, and I know its up to me, but, now I'm just curious to know if anyone has an opinion about whether its worth it or not.  Thanks momma's!!!

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
crowned_mom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 6:20 PM

after hearing about how excruiciating it is to give birth naturally i flat out refused to go through it. i had an epidural. i thought it worked great. as for the side effects there are side effects to everything so i dont worry so much about them. it is a personal decision. i am for them.

baby
pregnancy due date
Natedogsmommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:46 PM

All I will say from experience is I got one the first time, Im NOT ashamed I got it, and will most definitely be getting one again this time.

For everyone who has had a bad experience with them your gonna probably hear you should try it natural, and for ones like me who had no problems with it you will probably hear how great they are. It's just something you will have to decide for yourself when that time comes. I know you already know, but no one will react to them the same, no dr. will put them in the same and so someone elses experience will not mean you will have the same outcome, so it will  just be something that you wait and decide in the moment. I know lots of people who said they wouldn't get one until they were actually in labor and couldn't take it anymore, and ones who said they would probably get it and ended up not. Good luck with everything no matter what you decide to do!!!!

Air0623
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I was induced with my daughter,and it IS more painful then letting your body go naturally. I know for a FACT I could have never done it without the epidural. I was so sick from pain,I was throwing up,and couldn't even talk. Like I said,I was induced,so I know contractions are more painful in that scenario. Did I know that before I was induced? Nope. Wish I had! I was only induced b.c my husband is Military,and he could only come home for 3 days. I will NEVER be induced again,but I WILL be getting the epidural again. I'm sorry but we as women go through a hell of a lot,and I do not feel ashamed to get some relief during the process!!!

Air0623
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:53 PM

BTW...it truly depends on your threshold for pain. My mother had all three of us completely naturally,not even an IV! We were all 8 pounds,with my youngest brother being about 9. So,some women can do it...some women cannot.

monkeyberry
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I didn't want one...........at first. Then I was induced for health reasons and it sucked! I progressed to slowly to get one and then when it was time (they wanted me at 6 cm) I went from 6 to 10 in 25 minutes and had to push by the time the guy was rinding down on the elevator to my room. I wanted it and didn't get it, but I think that building up naturally instead of being induced, I would have been able to tolerate it.  I hear good and bad. Like anything else you jsut do our reasearch and do what is right for you. 

ethans_momma06
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:59 PM

My mother delivered all fove of her children naturally. No epidural, no nothing. My brother was 11 pounds 6 ounces, I was 10 pounds even. I did not want to risk the risks of an epidural, so I opted for a homebirth where having an epirdural simply wasnt an option for me.

Guess what?

I did it. Yes it hurt, but it was amazing, I was awake and responsive with no ill effects, as was my beautiful 7 pound 12 ounce son. Next child I have will be epidural free as well. I think the key is to make a real decision not a 'Well we will see how it goes....' if you don't want one. Remember that you CAN do it, you'll feel great after it's all over! But if you do opt for unmedicated, I would make sure I took some birthing classes or some deep breathing techniques.

Good luck with your decision, and I hope that no matter your choice you have a happy, safe and speedy delivery!

jaylahsmum
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:02 PM

i was also induced and teh dr told me to hav the epi after 9hours of drug free labour as it was going to b a long day, labour was a further 20hours so im kinda glad i did so i could hav a little rest. but i hated feeling paralised. we turned it off a while before i fully dialated so i could push adn all that adn i couldnt lift my legs but i could feel all the pain so it was very strange. i had horrible midwife deliver my dd , dr didn show up. the midwife took out my catheter immediately adn didnt let em know (i was very dazed) and all of a sudden i felt wet...yup thats right i had wet myself without realising, it was horrible. and tehn as it was night time i went back to  my rrom and slept, and when my dd woke for teh first time i was unable to move my legs to get up, which was very distressing as i was still very dazed and confused. now im preg with my 2nd and teh hospital i have to give birth in does not do epidurals, so even though i had a crap experience with the first im terrified of giving birth without one!! its personal choice really. just dont make a desicion yet, wait until ur in labour and then decide if u can take it or not. going thru labour and deleivery drug free does not make u a super hero, nor does having drugs make u weak. we are all different.

PaigeAlysse
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:14 PM

I chickened out at the last minute so I got one. The only problem was that I couldn't get up and walk around, but they do have "walking epidurals" just not where I gave birth. I loved it, though.

Brokensurvivor
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:22 PM

well i never thought i would say this but... i had a baby no epidural!!
im pround of my self... but wont do it again... oh so painful felt like my vag was on fire burned so much!!!
Then again i liked that after i had him i could walk around..

Good luck!

punching         toddler boy        breastfeeding

Mommy And Daddy!            Clayton Gwyer             Abel James

April 7th 2007                   July 2nd 2007            July 18th 2009    

rvcookie
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 12:06 AM

I know exactly what you're going through. I gave birth to my first child this past December, and I had an epidural because I can't handle pain. I was scared to death of every aspect of getting an epidural but I was even more afraid of the pain of childbirth, and I am so glad I got it. Believe it or not the worst part for me ended up being my fear. I panicked waiting for the epi,and I panicked while they were putting it in.  I thought it was going to be so much worse. It just felt like a pinch and then a cold feeling, and by the next contraction ALL my pain was gone. Now I did get shaky afterwards which they told me was probably a side effect from the epi, but I think my nerves had a lot to do with it. Also my legs felt itchy(and that was a side effect), but my husband sat beside my bed and just rubbed my legs lightly and as long as he was doing that every so often the itching didn't bother me. I know I made the right choice for me because twice the epi wore off and they had to call the anesthesiologist to come give me a booster (which is  just more off the pain medicine they add to your IV ) and in the time I was waiting for the booster the pain was almost unbareable. As soon as I got the booster I was in no more pain and I was able to take a much needed nap. The next thing I know I was waking up to my doctor telling me it's time to push. Also I was able to stand up and take a shower within 2 hours after giving birth so it's not always true that you can't stand up afterward. I'm pregnant again now, and I'm going to get another epi, I'm hoping it works out just as well this time.Let me just add my older sister gave birth to her first to completely natural, but with her third they had to give her pitocin to speed things up, and she said she wishes she had an epi because the pitocin makes childbirth much more painful. So if you find out you are going to need pitocin I would get an epi, and the same thing goes for being induced( much more painful). What ever you decide will be the right decision, and you will be ok. Don't dwell on the fears. It's scary for everyone.Looking back you think that wasn't so bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)