Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

safety of home birth

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM
  • 12 Replies

A friend just passed this along.  Thought some of you would enjoy reading this collaboration of info:)  It's a great list of medical studies!  If you aren't interested, don't read it.  Want to debate, please bring some facts to the table to back up your side.

The Safety of Home Birth

There's also a great list of books to check out if you haven't read them before.

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker I'm a natural-birthing, public breastfeeding, attachment parenting, co-sleeping advocating, future home-birthing, cloth-diapering, mom of 2 boys - 10/06 and 3/08. One is circumcised, one isn't, ask me why! (and don't mutilate your poor baby's penis:( ) I tandem nurse.
I'm an open book when it comes to my pregnancies and births. There's nothing you can ask that I won't answer.
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Curllyq
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Good info:)

bump

Lilypie Breastfeeding Ticker I'm a natural-birthing, public breastfeeding, attachment parenting, co-sleeping advocating, future home-birthing, cloth-diapering, mom of 2 boys - 10/06 and 3/08. One is circumcised, one isn't, ask me why! (and don't mutilate your poor baby's penis:( ) I tandem nurse.
I'm an open book when it comes to my pregnancies and births. There's nothing you can ask that I won't answer.
BaBiiMaMa89
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 9:55 PM

home births are a great option for those who feel more comfortable in their own home and have no other medical issues. i personally love the hospital if anything at all goes wrong docs and surgeons and life support are right there! thats just my opinion everyone has one :)))

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

Bmomma2
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 9:59 PM

my husband just did a mock set up of my aquadoula in the bedroom yesterday....all ready to go!!!  Just playin the waitin game now!

hey great info...everything just compiled together like that is really convenient for sending to annoying relatives. 

pregnancy due date
ttaylor1998
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 10:03 PM

Wow!!!  That is a lot of great info in one place.  Thanks for passing it along. =)

siggy2 by you.

Grand Opening July 31st, 8p.m. EST: 

Donate Here For A Great Cause:      

Curllyq
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 10:07 PM

I understand how you feel:)  I did, too.  I wish I had done more research to find out just how safe homebirth was, I'm sure my first son wouldn't have been pulled out with a vacuum.  Luckily, I'm within 15 minutes to the hospital which means I can get there quicker than most hospitals can get me into the OR if it really is needed (average time of decision to incision is 30 minutes).  But the truth is, few things go wrong in a split second, most can be seen coming ahead of time which means as long as you have an experienced baby catcher who knows when to say "it's time to go to the hospital in case this gets worse" you're good to go!  It's taken me 2 hospital births to realize they would have been much happier and calmer and just as safe if I had just stayed home.

I hope Indiana gets with it soon and "legalizes" CPMs and homebirth!!!

Quoting BaBiiMaMa89:

home births are a great option for those who feel more comfortable in their own home and have no other medical issues. i personally love the hospital if anything at all goes wrong docs and surgeons and life support are right there! thats just my opinion everyone has one :)))

Curllyq
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 10:08 PM

YAY!!!  Good Luck! :)

and you're totally right!  If we have a third it will be at home and I'll have to keep this list handy for my MIL.

Quoting Bmomma2:

my husband just did a mock set up of my aquadoula in the bedroom yesterday....all ready to go!!!  Just playin the waitin game now!

hey great info...everything just compiled together like that is really convenient for sending to annoying relatives. 

Bmomma2
by on Aug. 10, 2009 at 10:20 PM

Quoting BaBiiMaMa89:

I understand your position.  Home birth isn't for everyone by far.  I used to sound just like you.  I actually am the "life support" person in the hospital...I am a respiratory therapist and whenever anyone needs help breathing or needs to be resuscitated due to a cardiac or respiratory arrest I am the one who runs through the halls when the magic button is pressed and I insert the breathing tube and initiate the mechanical ventilator.  I am still having a home birth.  Having an inside view of the hospital only helped me make that decision.

pregnancy due date
Curllyq
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 9:47 AM

I know an OB who feels the same way! lol...you'd think that if ANYONE was going to have a hospital birth, it would be the OB.  But no, she's seen WAY too much crap go down because OBs are too "pro-active" and all the intervention makes births go bad.  She picked a highly-qualified midwife and will only go to the hospital if something comes up needing medical attention.  She realizes that birth is not a medical event and having medical equipment close by actually ups the chances that it is used even when it isn't needed.

Quoting Bmomma2:

Quoting BaBiiMaMa89:

I understand your position.  Home birth isn't for everyone by far.  I used to sound just like you.  I actually am the "life support" person in the hospital...I am a respiratory therapist and whenever anyone needs help breathing or needs to be resuscitated due to a cardiac or respiratory arrest I am the one who runs through the halls when the magic button is pressed and I insert the breathing tube and initiate the mechanical ventilator.  I am still having a home birth.  Having an inside view of the hospital only helped me make that decision.

Andrea337
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 12:45 PM

I think that home birthing sounds wonderful however it's not for me. We did not know that or daughter would be born with Down Syndrome and have alot of issues after birth. My whole pregnancy went smooth and there were no complications, not even during delivery. Once Cadence was out they discovered she was blue due to aspiration of meconium while in utero (she had her first poop before she came out and it got in her lungs). Because of that she was born w/ pnuemonia, had floppy/low muscle tone, could not suck and did not eat by mouth. She spent the first 10days in the special care nursery at the hospital and was fed via NG tube. She could not hold her own temp and they discovered when she was 5days that she had a heart murmur. From there she went by ambulance to the nearest Children's hospital to have her heart checked and she had 3 heart defects. They confirmed when she was 5 days old that she had Down Syndrome.

The whole birthing experience and beyond was very scary for first time parents and could happen to anyone, therefore i personally would rather give birth in the hospital where we had a wonderful experience and wonderful care! I don't know if Cadence would have made it if she were born at home and we were 25min from the nearest hospital! 

Good luck to all with whatever method you choose and don't let anyone bash you for it. Just make sure you do research on both sides of the argument!

Curllyq
by on Aug. 11, 2009 at 12:59 PM

Hi!  I'm sorry you had to go through all that.

I just want to point out to anyone who reads this that the hospital didn't do anything a midwife isn't trained to do in the same situation.  They deal with maconium all the time and as soon as there was respiratory trouble after clearing the airway, she would have been transfered to the hospital.  She would have been just as safe and well-cared for if she had been born at home with a compitant midwife.  I think people assume that the hospital doctors and nurses are somehow the only ones trained for such situations and it just isn't true.  Babies with defects, illness, and malformities are safely birthed at home all the time.  So being at the hospital in this case wasn't any more benneficial or safer.

Quoting Andrea337:

I think that home birthing sounds wonderful however it's not for me. We did not know that or daughter would be born with Down Syndrome and have alot of issues after birth. My whole pregnancy went smooth and there were no complications, not even during delivery. Once Cadence was out they discovered she was blue due to aspiration of meconium while in utero (she had her first poop before she came out and it got in her lungs). Because of that she was born w/ pnuemonia, had floppy/low muscle tone, could not suck and did not eat by mouth. She spent the first 10days in the special care nursery at the hospital and was fed via NG tube. She could not hold her own temp and they discovered when she was 5days that she had a heart murmur. From there she went by ambulance to the nearest Children's hospital to have her heart checked and she had 3 heart defects. They confirmed when she was 5 days old that she had Down Syndrome.

The whole birthing experience and beyond was very scary for first time parents and could happen to anyone, therefore i personally would rather give birth in the hospital where we had a wonderful experience and wonderful care! I don't know if Cadence would have made it if she were born at home and we were 25min from the nearest hospital! 

Good luck to all with whatever method you choose and don't let anyone bash you for it. Just make sure you do research on both sides of the argument!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)