• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby slings?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM
  • 10 Replies

Anyone used one?  How did you like it.  I'm thinking about getting one with the rings.

Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NakiahsMommy
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:00 PM

http://www.sleepywrap.com/ I LOVE IT

Quoting Happy2BDomestic:

Anyone used one?  How did you like it.  I'm thinking about getting one with the rings.

Baby_Aidans_Mom
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM

I LOVE wearing my baby. It makes thing so much easier. My son is now 14 months old and I still wear him when ever we go out. I actually started making my own slings , when I couldn't find one that I liked. I didn't care for the ones with the rings as they kind of start to dig into your shoulder after a while. I do have a Playtex Hip Hammock that I absolutely love but it is for older babies.

Emmy217
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:06 PM

I tried one with my daughter but she hated it. However, she did love one of the front pack carriers. (it's more like a backpack)

richgirljj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM

I have three different types.

I have a mobywrap www.mobywrap.com

I have a ringsling  http://store.theslingstation.com/ringslings1.html?gclid=CIe6qKfr-ZsCFQMQswodL0-KAA

and a Hotsling http://www.hotslings.com/

I love them all. I love wearing my baby, she loves it too.  She is calmer when she is near me.  I hate carrying the car seat carrier thing, this is so much easier. 

I didn't get my ringsling from a website, a friend of mine made it for me.

Hotslings are sold at Target & Babies R Us.  I love to buy used which is how I got my Moby Wrap... BUT I caution you, when it comes to slings/wraps, most come in different sizes; Moby & Ring slings are One Size, but Hotslings and most other slings/wraps have different sizes, so if buying used, make sure that you research to find one that truly fits your body shape and size.  This is important for your comfort and your baby's safety.

You can find them gently used on Craigslist and on other websites. 

Another good website to use; www.babywearer.com

You can also see how to use the slings safely and appropriately by watching videos on youtube.com.

Best wishes!!  Congrats on your new baby!

Oh, and I use them all differently.  My ringsling stays in my car, so I always have it.  My Hotsling stays in the house as does the Moby.  I originally bought my Moby for my husband, since it's so large, and can accommodate his size and mine.  I am actually using it right now and have my baby against me.  She has reflux, so I have her against me, upright, and my hands are free to type to you!! :)

Other things to consider is where you live, what you will be doing when you wear it, and the type of weather you have.  I live in Florida, so mine are light colored and light weight to accommodate the heat.  A friend of mine lives in Chicago, she has about 12 different wraps, (she's a bit fanatical) varying in weight so she can wear heavier weighted fabrics during colder months to keep her baby close and warm.  She also has different colored fabric, because she likes her sling to match her outfit... when it comes to that, I personally don't care!  LOL

balagan
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:21 PM

The Ergo Baby Carrier worked out the best for me -- I tried two different slings, but both hurt my shoulder/back. The problem with a sling is that they put all of the weight of the baby on one shoulder; the Ergo distributes the weight better across both shoulders and the back.

richgirljj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Quoting balagan:

The Ergo Baby Carrier worked out the best for me -- I tried two different slings, but both hurt my shoulder/back. The problem with a sling is that they put all of the weight of the baby on one shoulder; the Ergo distributes the weight better across both shoulders and the back.

That all depends on what type you have, and if you wear it properly, it's very comfortable.

I heard GREAT things about the Ergo, but it's too expensive for me.  I keep looking on Craigslist for a used one... so far no luck... bummer.

happytexasCM
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM

I loved my Moby Wrap; great for hands free ability and nursing. I also had a Hotsling when I did not need my hands as much; you can just "drop" them in. I did not like ring slings; hurt my shoulder.

Unrelated, but I loved my Nursing Nest for nursing laying down.

CNN-Freedoms you'd lose in Obama Care
1. Freedom to choose what's in your plan
2. Freedom to be rewarded for healthy living, or pay your real costs
3. Freedom to choose high-deductible coverage
4. Freedom to keep your existing plan
5. Freedom to choose your doctors

NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I got one at my baby shower. I didnt have one with my 1st but Im going to try it this time. I tried it on when i got it and there is the plastic piece for adjusting it that hits my neck just where you dont want it to but Im hopeing it sits different when the belly isnt there lol

richgirljj
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:35 PM

Quoting NavyWifey122305:

I got one at my baby shower. I didnt have one with my 1st but Im going to try it this time. I tried it on when i got it and there is the plastic piece for adjusting it that hits my neck just where you dont want it to but Im hopeing it sits different when the belly isnt there lol

What kind is it?

robin1725
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:19 AM

I have no experience with them yet because this is my first baby. However, I have heard that they are great so I bought one with the rings too. They have some really cute ones at rockinbabyslings.com.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)