Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm scared I won't know when I'm in labor....

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am currently 37 weeks pregnant.  I am so scared I won't know when I am in labor.  I know that sounds stupid, but I have a REALLY high pain tolerance, even according to my dr.  At the last appointment she said "Oh I can feel you're having contractions" and I had no idea, and she was pretty amazed I couldn't feel them.  I've been passing kidney stones as well (6 so far) and I didn't even notice until I actually peed them out, I mean I've had kidney stones for 14 years now, but I never thought I wouldn't be able to feel that pain.  I've been having some cramping and lower back pains, but I'm not sure if they are contractions or not.  Everyone keeps saying "don't worry you'll know" but even my dr seems a little worried I may not be able to tell.  Any suggestions or helpful advice?!  I'm scared!! lol.

preview image

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
balagan
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 10:57 PM

If you can feel some "cramping," you should be able to feel contractions. Just pay attention to the timing of the cramps -- if the cramping seems to come and go every few minutes, time to get checked. You may be one of the rare lucky people where labor isn't that painful!

ETA: The standard advice is 5-1-1 ... go in when the contractions are consistently at least 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, for at least 1 hour. I'd follow this even if you feel no pain, since cramping may = contractions.

Mamaz
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:00 PM

you will know. even if the pain is not bad. your body will feel so weird. you can tell the baby is coming. i could tell with my 2nd before i even had contractions. i woke up at 7 am and i knew i was in labor. i didn;t have a single contraction until after 8 am. and i had her at 3:30 that day

I am the formula feeding, independent sleeping, baby wearing, vaccinating, disposable diapering, public schooling, pro-life, full-time working, college educated 21 year old divorced mama of two beautiful little girls!!!

Photobucket

(\__/) This is bunny. Copy and paste
(='.'=) bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him gain world domination

arkansasmama08
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM

i had a friend like that. She ended up with a c-section because she couldn't feel the contractions to push the baby out. But she had other issues too. I agree with pp. just really pay attention to your body and you'll catch on.

NavyWifey122305
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:01 PM

That cramping you are feeling are contractions. time them when you get 4-5 min apart its time to go to the hospital.  If you are unsure you can always go to L&D check in and they will monitor your contractions and ether say go home or your staying.

dont feel bad alot of moms dont know when or if they are in labor its very common. I had a c section with my 1st so this pregnancy it seems like a whole new experiance. I went in last sat for contractions come to find out i was super dehydrated and thats what was causing them. Had I not gone I could have gone into early labor. gotta love L&D

ILoveMyJason
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:10 PM

I will be the first to tell you that you're not crazy, and it does happen ... I didn't know I was in labor. But - good news! I still made it to the hospital and delivered the baby there, and not on the side of the road. :-)

I also have a very high pain tolerance. I took everyone's "Trust me, you'll know" comment so seriously, that I really wasn't convinced I was in labor when I apparently really was.

I agree to just go with the timing of the cramping and pains your experiecing, and to pay attention to the fact that it may be intensifying, even if it's still not too much for you to handle. I don't think you really have a reason to be worried, necessarily. It's just something that you may have to pay more attention to than others to recognize if you're possibly in labor.

MarineWife1108
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:20 PM

My friend didn't fell any of her contractions either. But her water broke. She didn't really get big anyways so she had basically no pain during labor at all and zero stretch marks. I wish I was built like that but, when I'm not pregnant, I have my dad's body style which is slender but takes effort to be that way and when I get pregnant, it doesn't matter what I do, I blow up like a sponge thrown in water. It's beyond annoying and frustrating. Anyways. First thing to look for is your mucus plug. If that comes out, call your doctor. With my son, mine came out at 6:30am, I was on the way to the hospital at 11am bc I couldn't handle the contractions anymore. The second thing is your water to break. It doesn't always happen as, it didn't happen with my son, they had to break it after several hours in the hospital. A nd do what the one PP said and monitor your cramping as those could actually be contractions. My contractions felt extremely similar to cramping except much more painful. GL! 

MarineWife1108
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:25 PM

Quoting NavyWifey122305:

That cramping you are feeling are contractions. time them when you get 4-5 min apart its time to go to the hospital.  If you are unsure you can always go to L&D check in and they will monitor your contractions and ether say go home or your staying.

dont feel bad alot of moms dont know when or if they are in labor its very common. I had a c section with my 1st so this pregnancy it seems like a whole new experiance. I went in last sat for contractions come to find out i was super dehydrated and thats what was causing them. Had I not gone I could have gone into early labor. gotta love L&D

Yup. I spent 4 hours in antepartum last week because I started getting kidney pain and my doctor said to go to the hospital and get checked out. The nurse who got my urinalysis back said there was a little bacteria but not enough foran infection. Then my actual doctor comes in and says that there is bacteria and some blood in my urine(not enough to see with the naked eye) and gives me a prescription. My kidney still has been hurting on and off but mainly when it gets close to time to take my medicine. I'm about 24 weeks. Which is why they said to go straight there and they would fax over the orders. It took them so long to do everything. I hope they're not like that when I actually go into labor. It irritated me then, I can't imagine how bad it would irritate me while I'm in labor.

JasonsMom2007
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:28 PM

I have a high pain tolerance as well.  So high I was in full blown labor and my doctor looked at me like I was nuts and said ¨wow, you have a REALLY high pain tolerance, higher than any I have ever seen!¨  I could feel contractions by touching my giant belly.  It would get really tight and hard during contractions and relax between them.

Have you experienced a miscarriage or lost a baby during pregnancy? 

For support from other Christian Moms just like you join my group:

http://www.cafemom.com/group/christianloss

kmstockwell
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:30 PM

Just a note to the PP, mucus plug actually means next to nothing.  I lost mine almost 2 weeks before I went into labor and when I told my doc they really didn't seem to think it meant much.  Definitely call your doc if your water breaks though.

As for the whole thing with your contractions.. they are probably Braxton Hicks right now.  I have been having them for the past 2 weeks but I really know it when I am hooked up to the NST machine.  Otherwise it just feels like a tightening.  Oddly enough, the cramps I feel do not register as contractions... just goes to show everyone is different.  The cramps MAY just be gas, or they could be contractions.  As everyone else said, just pay attention to the timing of everything.  Actual labor contractions are evenly spaced.  They may not be painful, they may just make you uncomfortable, so just pay attention to all the little changes in your body.

Good luck!

JaimeLynne714
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:36 PM

trust me- and your body- you will know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)