Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

sitting too long no oxygen?

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM
  • 5 Replies

I am 28 weeks pregnant.  Last week I drove with my best friend and two year old 2600 miles across country to visit family.  I drove at least 8 hours a day with brief bathroom stops throughout the day and of course to sleep at night.  My aunt just told me that my baby is not getting any oxygen because I am sitting so long and now the baby is at risk???? Is that for real, do I really need to be worried?  My feet got a little swollen, but I mean, some women are on bed rest and stuff so can it really be that bad?  thanks

ps, I leave to come home next week and am taking a slightly longer route... I probably will go a bit slower but I am sure i will be anxious to see SO and get home.....so I might end up driving like nuts. 

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
arika1234
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:45 PM

NO that is not true as long as you have oxygen your baby is fine......

kmstockwell
by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 11:47 PM

The only thing that can deprive your baby of oxygen/blood is laying flat on your back for an extended length of time after a certain week (can't remember the number) because it can put pressure on the major artery that delivers blood to the uterus.  Sitting for long periods of time can cause all sorts of discomfort and things like that but is highly unlikely to cause fetal distress of any kind.  My doctor told me to get up and walk around for at least 10 minutes for every 2 hours in the car, if that helps.

aln1972
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 7:35 AM

I have heard that preg. are not soposed to sit for too long because of blood clots in your legs.

lil_bittie
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 8:31 AM

It is called blood pooling.  Your blood can back flow into your legs but as long as you keep your feet elevated and get up every once in a while you will be fine.  I think it is funny that so many people come up with these whoppers.  Do not believe everything you hear.

kmstockwell
by on Jul. 29, 2009 at 10:42 AM

To the PP, I have a prime example of that.  Someone told me not to eat too much grapefruit while pregnant because the acids would destroy the baby's immune system.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)