Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any Books for teens w/Prego Moms?

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM
  • 6 Replies

I have seen all the "what to expect when she's expecting" type stuff for fathers & things about introducing younger siblings to babies.  Does anyone know of something like this for teens?  I am pregnant w/my third child & have daughters who are 12 & 14.  I just wondered if there might be something out there geared towards older children & the changes that can happen will a new baby. 

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
SabrinaL
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I'm not sure.  I know there are things geared towrad smaller children but I have never seen anything for teens.  Of course I have never been looking either. I would talk to them and let them know how things will be when the baby arrives.  Like do they need to share a room, can they still do their after school activities.  What are they going to be responsible for if anything as far as helping with the baby. IMO the key is going to be communication.  I think they are big enough to understand what it is like to have a sibling but with a baby they need to understand how that is going to affect their life and that part will be different with every family.  Best of luck to you and hopefully you can find something.

mommy2alexis79
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:41 PM

I was wondering the same thing. Ive looked and cant find any. My dd will be 14 when the baby comes.

heres a BUMP

katznkt
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM
Don't know of anything. But really, they will get over it. They will probably even like it. Your attention will be off of them and their activities. :) And they will get to play with a baby but have no real responsibility for it.

Congrats, and they will accept it in time. They would probably think it is lame if you gave them a book like that anyways. You can try talking to them about what your body goes though, but they will just think it is gross.

I would just tell if they have any questions they can come to you any time and leave it at that. :)

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

gradysmom2006
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 10:25 AM

To be honest, I doubt most teens would read a book like that.  Your best bet is to talk to them.  Allow them to express their frustrations and questions.  Encourage them to attend doctors appointments/ultrasounds.  They are old enough to understand a baby means serious changes...they don't need a book to tell them that.  But they will need you to be okay with them telling you they don't like it, if that's how they feel.

My husband was 25 when his mom became pregnant with her second child.  Everyone ignored him.  It took him years to stop acting like a 3 year old everytime his sister was around.  He was not okay with being an only child forever and then suddenly someone new is in the picture...and he was grown and moved out. 

Pregnancy ticker
roselinebunz
by on Aug. 18, 2009 at 5:07 PM

Thanks for the replies.  My oldest is excited about the baby & she is now mothering me lol.  ("you need a nap"  "you need to drink some milk" etc)  My youngest isn't crazy about the whole idea, but not protesting loudly at least.  They both have a lot of social & school things going, so they have other things to think about besides my expanding waistline. 

Not really worried about it too much, they are great kids.  Just thought there might be something out there geared towards teens & not in a lame way . . . maybe my oldest can start writing a book about her experience as a very much older sibling.  :-) 

nikkig422
by on Aug. 19, 2009 at 9:17 AM

not that i know of and my mom was pregnant when i was a teen twice.i now am 20 years old and my sister is 3 years and my brother is almost 2 years.to make  it even better i have a 1 year old lol and one on the way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)