Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Baby hiccups

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM
  • 13 Replies

I know that hiccups are common in the womb esp. the end of pregnancy but I was wondering if a lot of them often is  sign of anything? She gets them 3 or 4 times a day now....

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 2:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jasey929
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:10 PM
mine gets them about 2-3 times a day. When I went for my OB appt yesterday my doc asked me if the baby was moving ok and I told him he slowed down but I know he is ok because he gets frequent hiccups and my OB told me it's a good sign because it takes alot of energy for them to have hiccups so we know the baby is breathing in and out like he is supposed to!
Annette7931
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:14 PM

So does mine!!!  I've heard its a good thing.  That it really just means the baby is doing good and nothing more.  Last i heard, docs don't know the cause for it.  Lol, as i started writing this she started with the hiccups again :P

AngelaMunn82
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 4:23 PM

The hiccups means your baby is practicing breathing. Its normal.

<3 Angela

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
TigerBaby69
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:08 PM

Mine gets them alot too. I LOVE it lol.
When we had our first ultrasound she had the hiccups and then we had the second one she had them as well LOL it was funny. Now I am able to feel them and can tell the difference between kicks, moving, or her hiccups.

babies
babies
Mamagirlz
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 5:41 PM

So far I have only felt hiccups twice.  I actually had them while I was in the waiting room at the dentist this morning.  I had them a lot with my last pregnancy.  Nothing wrong with her or anything.  Some babies hiccup more than others. 

BaBiiMaMa89
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:38 PM

my mom said  the old wives tale is that hiccups mean the baby is healthy :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie

RoguesMommy
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:44 PM

My daughter had the hiccups ALL THE TIME! Almost constant. It was neat at first, but become annoying after it being for so long and so frequent.

When my daughter was born she had them all at the same times and just as frequent. When she started laughing and would get going with laughing at something she would get the hiccups and start throwing up. I asked her dr about it and she said my daughter would grow out of it. I hate it! She can't be tickled or anything that makes her laugh alot.

She turns 3 next month and still has a hiccup problem...

PhotobucketLilypie
Alishia655
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:47 PM

how can you tell hiccups from kicks and other movements?

RoguesMommy
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 12:32 PM
Quoting Alishia655:

how can you tell hiccups from kicks and other movements?

Hiccups have a rhythm
PhotobucketLilypie
peanutslave
by on Oct. 17, 2009 at 5:32 AM

Thank you! My son will be two weeks on Monday. He had the hiccups several times a day during his last month and he was born at 38 weeks. He seems to have the hiccups just as frequently now. I have been concerned and considering a new pediatrician because our doctor seems dismissive and the hiccups have been worrying me. Knowing this is not so unusual helps ease my mind a lot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)