Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

watched a show last night couldnt believe my eyes..wow! i couldnt do it

Posted by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM
  • 10 Replies

I watched a tv show last night about free birthing....people who had no dr, no midwife nothing at all for thier births....no assistance ....one couple even used regular scissors to cut the cord and tied it with a shoe string then she had to go to the er cause her placenta didnt come out....another lady del in a blow up tub and the baby was so calm and she didnt even make a noise when del...it looked peaceful just not for me

all power to them ..i just couldn't do it ..how do u feel about it?

SERIOUS about losing weight? ..regardless if you have just had a baby, ttc or your children have grown come join us and have fun, gain support and share tips and lose that weight or maintain your weight ...WE ARE HERE FOR YOU!http://www.cafemom.com/group/96540

by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kara_g.
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:04 PM
Sooooooo not my bag.
riotgrrl
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:06 PM

I tend to feel a little panicky in transition labor and I think I would probably end up freaking out and making DH take me to the hospital and having the baby in the car on the way. Seriously. LOL. I think many women are perfectly capable of providing their own prenatal care and self-monitoring during labor. And more power to them.

We are planning a homebirth with no meds or interventions, but a midwife there with us to keep telling me that everything is fine, or let me know if it's really not.

hoping4number3
by Member on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:08 PM

I think free birthing is a lil on the dumb side (IMO)...you have to have SOMEone of knowledge there. I fully like homebirthing though (if you are the right candidate). I'm having my first home birth (WITh a midwife hehe) and am super siked about it!

Our FOURTH little princess is on her way :)pregnancy calendar 

MamaJen74
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:15 PM

Women were having babies for centuries without being in a hospital or attended by a physician.  The concept of unassisted birth does not freak me out.  I think anyone comfortable enough to do so should.  I am not that person.  I kind of go to another world and know that I would not be mentally THERE enough to know if something DID need attention and there's no way DH would have a freakin' clue.  I am perfectly comfortable delivering out of the hospital with a midwife though.

lilmomma92706
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 3:19 PM

Quoting MamaJen74:

Women were having babies for centuries without being in a hospital or attended by a physician.  The concept of unassisted birth does not freak me out.  I think anyone comfortable enough to do so should.  I am not that person.  I kind of go to another world and know that I would not be mentally THERE enough to know if something DID need attention and there's no way DH would have a freakin' clue.  I am perfectly comfortable delivering out of the hospital with a midwife though.

NaTashaVictoria
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:40 PM

Quoting MamaJen74:

I watched the show also and that was the women's point of view. They figured that since women have been doing it since the beginning of time, that is was THE way to do it. However, the infant mortality rate and the mortality rate for women giving birth in the days before doctors was astounding. I'd rather have a doctor who knows what they are doing, but I also get freaked out thinking about all the 'accidents' doctors have made that result in tragedy. It's a catch 22.

CafeMom Tickers
lil_bittie
by on Aug. 12, 2009 at 6:50 PM

I watched that show a while back.  The girl that had the placenta stuck inside her was doing it for all the wrong reasons.  She was even criticizing the doctor who was trying to help her deliver the placenta.  She had a terrible experience with her first birth so she decided to do a freebirth and ended up with a complication. 

The other two did it for the right reasons.  One had a painless birth and was in complete control.  The other knew what to expect and even consulted medical professions to prepare for an emergency situation.

I know freebirthing and homebirthing is not for me.  My grandmother had several home births.  She ended up delivering 18 times but only 12 survived.  My father was one of the oldest children and he remembers having to help her through the births.  It was tramatic for him losing siblings.  He has always encouraged me to use an OB instead of a midwife and deliver in a hospital because the mortality rate is much lower.  I listened. 

flutterby6969
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:25 AM

I am all for home births WITH midwives and doulas. That one chick who had placenta previa, KNEW she had it, and knew her baby may die....and still refused anyone being there or going to the hospital....was negligent to say the least. She had a supportive midwife come see her, who told her that she was too far from the hospital and even if she called 911, they would most likely not get there in time to save her or her baby. Her response? To ignore everyone, and do what she wanted despite the very high, obvious risks. She even seemed like she was being responsible by taking an infant CPR class so that she could give the baby CPR. I am all for natural birth, but when people do it when it's not advised, and put their wants before their baby's.....it just makes the whole industry look bad. Luckily for her baby, it was okay. No thanks to Mom. angry

kara_g.
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 8:32 AM

Quoting flutterby6969:

I am all for home births WITH midwives and doulas. That one chick who had placenta previa, KNEW she had it, and knew her baby may die....and still refused anyone being there or going to the hospital....was negligent to say the least. She had a supportive midwife come see her, who told her that she was too far from the hospital and even if she called 911, they would most likely not get there in time to save her or her baby. Her response? To ignore everyone, and do what she wanted despite the very high, obvious risks. She even seemed like she was being responsible by taking an infant CPR class so that she could give the baby CPR. I am all for natural birth, but when poeple do it when it's not advised, and put their wants before their baby's.....it just makes the whole industry look bad. Luckily for her baby, it was okay. No thanks to Mom. angry

I agree. I have a complete previa now (had one with the first so apparently lightning can strike twice). I cannot imaging making such a foolish decision and putting my personal desire above the health of my baby. Also, I have a great responsiblity to my husband, our other child and the rest of my family to make decisions that are in the best interest of a positive outcome for me and for my health too.
MamaJen74
by on Aug. 13, 2009 at 9:10 AM

Actually, the mortality rates raised significantly once the mainstream shifted away from MW attended births to hospital births.  The culprit?  Childbed fever.  (also called purpural sepsis/fever)  The doctor who discovered that the problem was being caused by docs not washing their hands (not only between pts but between autopsies) noted that the occurrance of childbed fever was 4-5 x higher when the mother was attended by an OB instead of MW (they had a different hospital wing for MW attended births). 

Yes, there ARE emergencies that happen during childbirth.  But generally, childbirth is a natural, normal biological process and is what we as women were created to do.  There is really no reason for a low-risk pregnancy to be attended by an OB or in a hospital.  MW are trained to understand the symptoms and indications of problems in a pregnancy and then refer a patient on to an OB if necessary. 

As for an unassisted birth, this is where I personally can't "do it."  I do not trust my knowledge (nor have I educated myself otherwise) to understand when there may be a problem that needs medical attention.  But for the mothers that DO trust their education and knowledge and bodies...I say go for it.

I have also seen this show and unfortunately do not think it truly represents the unassisted birth community.  All reality shows are like this I guess...they go for ratings and shock factor.

Quoting NaTashaVictoria:

Quoting MamaJen74:

I watched the show also and that was the women's point of view. They figured that since women have been doing it since the beginning of time, that is was THE way to do it. However, the infant mortality rate and the mortality rate for women giving birth in the days before doctors was astounding. I'd rather have a doctor who knows what they are doing, but I also get freaked out thinking about all the 'accidents' doctors have made that result in tragedy. It's a catch 22.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)