Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

Question about Marriage and Medicaid PIOG

Posted by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:04 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am currently 30 weeks pregnant and on medicaid strictly for my pregnancy. My daughter has medicaid until she turns 18 and the new baby was going to be on it as well. My question is, will I lose medicaid if I get married? I'm wondering if they will let me continue on it for the rest of the pregnancy or if they will cut me off as soon as I say "I do". I'm also wondering if my kids will no longer be able to have medicaid due to me getting married. If anyone knows anything about this I would appreciate the input.

by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
divamommao
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:06 PM

Unless your husband makes too much money I do not see why they will cut you off. you will have to add him to your case though if he is not already on there.. But I wouldnt see why they would cut it off..

Momma of 4: Jazlyn (6), Jacquez (3), Jo'Nika (1), Jay'Dyn Ray (due 9-2-09). Proud Wifey to Do'Shan.

KBM99
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:07 PM

If yall make over the income amount together then I THINK it will cut you off.. I'm not 100% sure though.. I would just wait until you had the baby.. I know my son cannot get medicaid because my SO makes WAY too much for my son to qualify and we have to go off both of our incomes and the reason we have to be on medicaid is because the current insurance I HAD didnt cover pregnancy..

I am a young and loving teenage mother, college going, SAHM, outgoing, && outspoken.

pinkykoala2006
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:07 PM

i think its strictly just based on ur familys income. im married and having my 2nd child and i applied to medicaid. its pending but becuz my husband doesnt make much and i dont work then ill get aproved. just make sure to let them know about ur marriage.

LaurenMarie2307
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:08 PM

Yikes, thats a hard one....does your bf have health insurance from his work? If so, I believe that if you get married, he'd be legally responsible to put you on his insurance, as well as your kids....but if he doesnt, I think it depends on your income....you still might qualify....Call your worker and ask them.....  GL hun

and Congrats if you do get married, how exciting!

brittnicole1106
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:12 PM

He may make too much. He makes $19 an hour but his job offers no health insurance 

mommytobe921
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I got married and I got cut off even though my son is not his son.  I still got cut off.  My hubby works cash and I had no way to prove it so they cut me off!  And we are still trying to have another baby!  We are going to be suffering a lot of medical bills.  I understand me and my husband and our future children cant have insurance, but its not fair I have a son with another man and he cant go to his 2 year appointment because he has no insurance and his dad wont help me payt for it !!!! VENT

brittcobb20
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM

They can't kick you off if you are pregnant at all! Regardless if you get married they can't kick you off.They will kick you off 6-8 weeks after you have the baby!

kylismomma
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 2:37 PM

no, once you get approved for Medicaid you and your daughter have it for one year and it cannot get cut off. However, after your year is up and you go to reapply for you and your daughter, you might get denied if your husband makes too much money. It all depends on how much you both make per week, and how many people you have in your household. 

Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
babies
momof525
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I think if you already have it...you have it for the whole preg, and 2 mon after. I don't think it would change. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Natedogsmommy
by on Aug. 15, 2009 at 6:28 PM

I didn't think you could lose it. If it's just for your pregnancy you keep it the whole time and 2 months after. I know like with your childs you have to renew each year therefore report any new income which would be your new husbands, but I wasn't told to report a change in my income (haven't had one just saying) during my pregnancy, because like you since it's just for my pregnancy I lose it after the pregnancy anyway.

Besides even if your new dh has insurance and adds you, isn't being 30 weeks pregnant considered a pre-existing condition or whatever? So you wouldn't be covered anyway. I know having no other insurance (as well as meeting the income guidelines) is how I have pregnancy insurance.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN