Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stress & Pregnancy (rant)

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM
  • 8 Replies

Don't you ladies just hate it when you're stressed during your pregnancy?? I mean, pregnancy in itself is stressful (on your body) but to add other stress, it just sucks!

Here's the situation.. I was in a car accident a couple of weeks ago, and since then my ins. company has decided that my car's worth more "totalled" than fixed, so they've totalled my car and won't fix it. They are giving us $7000+ for the car, however, I owe $140000 on the car so that will go towards, paying off half of what we owe.

Add that to the fact that we just got Rob a new car, b/c his was falling apart, and my credit ISN'T good so I'd need his name on there but adding his name would make our debt to income ratio NOT so good, and we are having trouble getting financed.

Add all that to the fact that we can't just go w/1 car b/c we have odd schedules (meaning I work 8-5, he works: tue, thurs 11-7, wed 1-9, fri 11-5). And you get a stressed out mama w/no idea of how this is going to work out..

Right now, my main option is my sister's car. She has a 95 Infinity, and she's getting rid of it and getting her dad's car, b/c he's getting a new one. So, I've told her that we may need to buy her car from her whenever she gets her dad's car. She'll probably charge $1000 for it, which will be nice and low, but it'll probably need to be fixed weekly, so that won't be fun. But I'm hoping that by having that car, we can TRY to save up money (I say try b/c as it is right now, we have $4 left out of our checks monthly) to eventually get a new one..

UGH! Thanks for letting me vent! Sorry it's so long!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mrs_patterson
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 12:30 PM

I totally understand where you're coming from. My car is completely paid off, but it is falling apart... it has 250,000 miles, the headlights literally fall OUT of the car, it is beat all to hell... a HUGE crack in the windshield and NOW the alternator is going out on it which is going to cost me another $250 to get fixed. Not to mention it's a two door coupe which I'm trying to trade in for something that will be functional (4 doors) for when the baby gets here and NO ONE will take it because of the miles. *shrug* It sucks being stressed... like, I thought you were supposed to be able to enjoy being pregnant, but so far, it seems like that is the LAST thing i'll get to do, lol.

Anyway, I hope things work out for you!

idomatter
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Is it possible for you to get your vehicle to another body shop? The same thing happened to someone I know-where the estimate at one shop was so high that the ins. co. said to total, but when taken to another shop, they were able to fix the vehicle.

aikenchic
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:54 PM

I got hit a few years ago.  The at-fault driver's insurance totalled my car and gave me $1700.  It had dent in the front passenger side fender.  I bought the car back (Heck it was paid for!) for $250 and spent the rest getting the car fixed, new tires and a new paint job (which it needed anyways). I sold the car in April for $1000.  And yes the buyer knew it had been totalled but it ran great and looked even better.

How damaged was your car- was it still driveable?  Is it an option for you to buy the vehicle back and get it fixed with the $7000 they are giving you?  It sucks that you owed $14k on the car. 

Have you signed any papers yet or cashed the $7000 chk?  You may want to get an attorney- I am just saying that MOST drivers have underinsured motorist coverage.  I would not just take the insurnace company's wor dthat that is all you are going to get paid.  They don't want to pay you so they will low-ball you in a heartbeat and no-one ever questions it!  Good luck.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 1:57 PM

I am so sorry :(  I have never had a car payment so I don´t know how they work exactly.  And my dad owns an auto repair shop so repairs aren´t an issue for me either.  I hope somebody can help you out though.

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:08 PM

My car isn't driveable. The end of the back passenger side door was crushed, the back part of my car and my wheel was crushed w/my wheel having been pushed in to where I can't drive the dang thing, and the back bumper was broken.

We haven't taken any of the money, heck I haven't been able to get over there to sign it over. They haven't determined whose fault the accident was.

Quoting aikenchic:

I got hit a few years ago.  The at-fault driver's insurance totalled my car and gave me $1700.  It had dent in the front passenger side fender.  I bought the car back (Heck it was paid for!) for $250 and spent the rest getting the car fixed, new tires and a new paint job (which it needed anyways). I sold the car in April for $1000.  And yes the buyer knew it had been totalled but it ran great and looked even better.

How damaged was your car- was it still driveable?  Is it an option for you to buy the vehicle back and get it fixed with the $7000 they are giving you?  It sucks that you owed $14k on the car. 

Have you signed any papers yet or cashed the $7000 chk?  You may want to get an attorney- I am just saying that MOST drivers have underinsured motorist coverage.  I would not just take the insurnace company's wor dthat that is all you are going to get paid.  They don't want to pay you so they will low-ball you in a heartbeat and no-one ever questions it!  Good luck.

aikenchic
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Quoting ElijahsMom211:

My car isn't driveable. The end of the back passenger side door was crushed, the back part of my car and my wheel was crushed w/my wheel having been pushed in to where I can't drive the dang thing, and the back bumper was broken.

We haven't taken any of the money, heck I haven't been able to get over there to sign it over. They haven't determined whose fault the accident was.

Quoting aikenchic:

Don't sign anything or accept any money until you talk to an attorney.  The state you live in should have a lawyer referral phone number that you can call to find an attroney who might be able to give you some advice. 

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 1:48 PM

I work for attorneys who specialize in ins. law. :o) The money goes straight to the company that leases the car to me. Rob, my DH, estimates that the cost to repair the car would be $8000. Not really worth it as we'd have to come up w/another $1000. I don't really want to deal w/this anymore, I just want it OVER! :o) I'm not a fighter when it comes to things like this.

Quoting aikenchic:

Don't sign anything or accept any money until you talk to an attorney.  The state you live in should have a lawyer referral phone number that you can call to find an attroney who might be able to give you some advice.

having a baby
ProudArmyWife18
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 2:06 PM

does the bank you got your loan through have GAP insurance with your auto loan? if so you wouldnt have to pay the rest of the money left from the loan. Im sorry your having to stress about this all pregnancy is rough as it is without adding extra stress from other things! hope things get better momma

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)