Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Infant Carseat Question.

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM
  • 15 Replies

My friend bought me a carseat and sent it up here to me.  When I got it, its was perfect, but, I always thought infant carseats had that head support for the baby.  This one does not.  Though I still believe the carseat is perfect, I was wondering if anyone believes that headrest is needed or required.  I would imagine that if it was required, they would have one with the carseat.  Opinions?  Did you use the head support?  Did you need one?  Anything at all would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:21 PM

Not all infant seats do have head support and it is dangerous to add one.  You can roll up a couple of recieving blankets and put one on either side of the baby´s head.  Or check with the manufactor and see if they have one for that car seat.

Are you sure this seat has never been in an accident, is not expired, and the straps have not been submerged?  You should NEVER use a carseat that comes from someone you would not trust your child´s life with!

SarahDx2
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:23 PM

yeah a friend of mine who already has "been there and done that" doesn't like them, I am going to see how mine work out, if they are not really doing anything at all then I will take mine out. But I am going to see if it does anything special I guess you would say.

RamonsWife
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Not all infant seats do have head support and it is dangerous to add one.  You can roll up a couple of recieving blankets and put one on either side of the baby´s head.  Or check with the manufactor and see if they have one for that car seat.

Are you sure this seat has never been in an accident, is not expired, and the straps have not been submerged?  You should NEVER use a carseat that comes from someone you would not trust your child´s life with!

The carseat is BRAND NEW, just shipped from Walmart.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:43 PM

Which seat is it?

Quoting RamonsWife:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

RamonsWife
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:46 PM

I can't save the picture so I can add it on here, but, this is the link to where you can buy this carseat at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10051208  This is the one she bought me and sent up to me.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Which seat is it?

Quoting RamonsWife:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 2:48 PM

They do not appear to sell a head support for that seat.  You will either have to do without or use rolled up receiving blankets.

Quoting RamonsWife:

I can't save the picture so I can add it on here, but, this is the link to where you can buy this carseat at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=10051208  This is the one she bought me and sent up to me.

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Which seat is it?

Quoting RamonsWife:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

txangel77802
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM

I didnt even use the head rest support that came with my car seat, instead i used this.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299911&fromWidget=BRU%3ACategory%3ATop+Sellers

It is one of the only ones i found that are crash tested. There may be others but i do not know of them. I loved it, especially since my daughter was under 7 lbs. Made the fit on the seat so much better, her head never slumped over while in it.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Unless this is crash tested with your seat it still is not safe!

Maybe evenflo has an idea of one that is safe with their seat?  I would call them and ask.  The general rule is NO aftermarket products in the seat unless it is designed by the manufactor to go in your specific seat.  Otherwise you are making your child a crash test dummy!

Quoting txangel77802:

I didnt even use the head rest support that came with my car seat, instead i used this.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2299911&fromWidget=BRU%3ACategory%3ATop+Sellers

It is one of the only ones i found that are crash tested. There may be others but i do not know of them. I loved it, especially since my daughter was under 7 lbs. Made the fit on the seat so much better, her head never slumped over while in it.

VLY
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:35 PM

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Maybe evenflo has an idea of one that is safe with their seat?  I would call them and ask.  The general rule is NO aftermarket products in the seat unless it is designed by the manufactor to go in your specific seat.  Otherwise you are making your child a crash test dummy!

Does this include towels ? you know how they say to roll a towel up and put it around their heads?

Full time Custodial Stayathome Parent (Stepson age 4 and stepdaughter age 8) TTC my First! :) - MOM is not a Noun- IT IS a VERB, and I am doing all the hard work, she may have the TITLE of mommy, but I get to BE the MOMMY!

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:12 PM

You can use towels the same way as receiving blankets.  There is a GREAT car seat safety group on here I would encourage everyone to join.  The techs in there are awesome and my son is so much safer because of them!  You just do not want anything between the baby and the seat or the straps and the seat.

Quoting VLY:

Quoting JasonsMom2007:

Does this include towels ? you know how they say to roll a towel up and put it around their heads?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)