• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!! NEED BABY OUT!!!

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:37 PM
  • 8 Replies

I'm 37 weeks today and have a doctors appointment thursday morning. Last thursday doc said I was 2 cm and still thick. This is my fourth child and I really need to know when he or she is coming. I been having contractions for the last three days. They are 10-15 min apart where if I go to hospital they will just send me home. I asking my doc if we can go ahead and schedule an induction for the following reasons:

1. my older children will be starting school and need to make arrangements on where they will be to get back and forth to school.

2. my younger children need to be watched seeing that they don't attend daycare and I need to give my grandmother and uncle notice on when they will be coming so they can inform their jobs on when they need to roate days ( they work at same place)

3. my hubby job needs to find replacement manager for the birth

4. Most important I'm home alone during the day with younger kids and sadly where I live it takes the parmedics a long time to get here and I don't want to freak my 3 and 1 yr old out when mommy goes into labor.

What's the best way to go about asking for an induction? Has anyone had this happen where they just went into labor without anyone (other adult) there?

PLEASE NO BASHING ME FOR ASKING FOR AN INDUCTION!!!! PUT YOURSELF IN MY SHOES!!!!!

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
lil_bittie
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 4:51 PM

The day I met my dr I asked him to induce me

1. I have a home daycare and do not want to go in labor while I have the children here

2. I liver an hour away from the hospital

3. My parents are assisting me with the birth and my sister is watching my son.  They all live 700 miles away and need a day to travel.

My dr agreed to induce me the moment that I asked.  He said it is more convenient for him.  Yippy.  My previous dr was completely against it but thankfully I had to switch insurance companies so I had to switch drs.

ditzygirl987654
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:08 PM

I think that if you tell your doctor everything that you told on this post that you will probably get the induction.  A lot of doctors don't like to induce before 39 weeks, but if you aren't just doing it because you want the baby out, if you are doing it because you have a lot of stuff that is involved with the baby's delivery, such as other children and family and that kind of thing, they will probably tell you it's fine as long as you are scheduling it at the earliest 37 weeks. That's not a medical opinion, mind you, but I've done my research on induction, anyways, I hope that it works out for you. Good luck with your delivery no matter what happens.

cincymomof3
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:18 PM

I have been induced before with my oldest two children, different doctors each time

KChoatee
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

My Dr. said it was up to me, if I wanted to wait or be induced or even have a CS so I would just ask, the worst that vould happen is they say no, but if you explain things to them they may do it.

iamcafemom83
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM

just ask! it's been my experience that they will make u wait til 39 weeks, tho. GL!

stellarluna
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:51 PM

As much as it makes me cringe to talk about inductions, I do understand your position.  First, I would never call paramedics!  My dd sat through my entire labor when she was 3 and did wonderfully, but I prepared her.  Labor is not an emergency it's very natural part of life, not life threatening, and just explain to your kids that it hurts you but you will have people to help you get the baby out and everything will be fine--it's supposed to hurt.  

I'm curious to know how far away dh works?  I'm sure he'd have time to come home and get you to your destination just fine.  When my water broke I didn't go in for 6 hours.  I didn't go in for 12 hours with my first.  With my first I had a doctor and they were willing to induce me two weeks early because I was due on Christmas day, but I declined.  I knew they just didn't want to be called on on Xmas day!  But I wasn't the only one there giving birth so oh well.  I think you'll have a matter of hours before you deliver, and plenty of time to get dh home and someone over for the kids and for dh to drive you to the hospital.  

All you can do is ask I suppose.  Most these days don't even need a reason, they'll do it for you if you're 38 weeks or more. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Mamagirlz
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:50 PM

My hospital just recently stopped doing inductions just b/c you ask.  It has to be a medical reason now or they will not do it.    I guess they had too many law suits on it and can no longer induce just b/c.  So I'd talk to your Dr. soon and see if it's a possibility or not. 

cincymomof3
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 1:50 AM

I have prepared my oldest children on what will come about they have also experienced it just last year when I went into labor with my youngest. With my younger two kids they are too young to really understand. The last three days I been experiencing contractions and they didn't handle it too well they were upset cause mommy was hurting. My hubby works pretty close it's just he's a manager and they are very short staffed only three managers and other than my hubby the other two are in school (college). Then I'm scared because with my youngest I almost didn't make it to the hospital because I had to wait for someone to get me to the hospital. I very scared I would be alone and deliver at home.

Quoting stellarluna:

As much as it makes me cringe to talk about inductions, I do understand your position.  First, I would never call paramedics!  My dd sat through my entire labor when she was 3 and did wonderfully, but I prepared her.  Labor is not an emergency it's very natural part of life, not life threatening, and just explain to your kids that it hurts you but you will have people to help you get the baby out and everything will be fine--it's supposed to hurt.  

I'm curious to know how far away dh works?  I'm sure he'd have time to come home and get you to your destination just fine.  When my water broke I didn't go in for 6 hours.  I didn't go in for 12 hours with my first.  With my first I had a doctor and they were willing to induce me two weeks early because I was due on Christmas day, but I declined.  I knew they just didn't want to be called on on Xmas day!  But I wasn't the only one there giving birth so oh well.  I think you'll have a matter of hours before you deliver, and plenty of time to get dh home and someone over for the kids and for dh to drive you to the hospital.  

All you can do is ask I suppose.  Most these days don't even need a reason, they'll do it for you if you're 38 weeks or more. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)