• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

That seems a little fishy to me...

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have a question about fish during pregnancy. I know that some fish is ok to eat sometimes, some not at all. But what about shrimp and crab? Are they ok? Also are fishsticks ok? I don't know what they're made of, but i'm the only one who will eat them so i wanted to make sure i can eat them before i buy them.

pregnancy due date
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Leeann3110
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:20 PM

Maybe this can help you some it was posted in a different group

pregnancy calendar
iamcafemom83
by Silver Member on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:31 PM

it's the mercury laden fish u really need to watch out for, like swordfish. shrimp and crab are ok, but i think u still need to sty within the weekly limitation for fish, which is so many ounces, cant remember at the moment. i eat t least one serving of shrimp a week, i've been craving it! it's a great source of protein. salmon is good, too, of course 'cuz of the omega-3's.

stellarluna
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 5:41 PM

I eat fish or shell fish about 3x a week.  I also take fish oil.  Fish sticks are a-ok (typically made with cod), shrimp and crab are awesomely good for you!  Think bottom feeders in the ocean, those are what will contain the most mercury.  There are a few fresh water bottom feeders, like walleye and catfish that you just need to be smart with, but I think the whole mercury scare is not real huge unless you live off of fish!  There was a study done on moms who ate a lot of salmon during their pregnancies and I guess there's a link to a higher iq, so I say eat away!  Some people go overboard with this, but if you're going over board with fish, then there are a whole host of other foods you should re-evaluate as well!   KWIM?  Like our hormone filled red meats and chicken... just make sure you eat a wide variety of foods, and you'll be fine!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

rileysmomma17
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM

I dont like fish except for tuna ( does that count lol) and people are always talking about being careful with the mercury levels in fish so i just take the expecta lipil. Its a dha supplement made for pregnant women and bfing moms.

Pregnancy ticker
Make a pregnancy ticker

I am a single 21 year old, pro-life, semi co-sleeping, bottle/formula feeding, total vaccinating, disposable diapering, rear facing, spanking if needed, CIO , young hard working mommy to a beautiful babygirl named Riley and expecting my second child January 8th. I dont judge anyone for what they choose so i hope you respect me for the ways i choose even if you dont agree with them :-)

hannamanmommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:12 PM

I have the book "Your pregnancy week by week" and there is a whole week (13) that discusses fish. I read up last night and recall the book strongly urging against larger type fish such as swordfish and shark. The larger the fish the more mercury it can contain. It also suggested no more than two servings per week. I think the best thing to do is just follow your instinct. I know most fish sticks are made with a white fish such as cod-- just beware of those that are minced as you never know what you are eating. 

DeputyWifeJen
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:51 PM

My doc said shellfish is totally fine, just limit the amount of fish. You can find lists online of high mercury fishes to avoid or limit. I am not scared of fish sticks, lol.

Wife to Brian since 11-27-04, Mommy to Will since 6-28-07

Jamaica_Gyal
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:34 AM

Yeah the whole fish scare does get a little out of control here in the US. I mean you have to like live on nothing but these huge mercury laden fish to get in trouble. I eat sushi and love it love it. Raw fish, thats right. Its usually salmon or tuna or shrimp and crab.  But think about it. Women in Japan and parts of Asia are eating tons more fish and sushi and you dont hear of a wierd mercury scare over there.

sexy_cookie
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:46 AM

exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AND THOSE KIDS ARE SMART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLUS my aunt ate a can of tuna a day with my cousin and that child is a genius.

Quoting Jamaica_Gyal:

Yeah the whole fish scare does get a little out of control here in the US. I mean you have to like live on nothing but these huge mercury laden fish to get in trouble. I eat sushi and love it love it. Raw fish, thats right. Its usually salmon or tuna or shrimp and crab.  But think about it. Women in Japan and parts of Asia are eating tons more fish and sushi and you dont hear of a wierd mercury scare over there.

pregnancypregnancy due date
Mamagirlz
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:20 AM

There is a lot of mercury in tuna. You aren't suppose to eat it more than once a week if you are going to eat tuna.

Quoting rileysmomma17:

I dont like fish except for tuna ( does that count lol) and people are always talking about being careful with the mercury levels in fish so i just take the expecta lipil. Its a dha supplement made for pregnant women and bfing moms.

aimige
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:24 AM

My doctor told me to steer away from any "big fish".big fish has lots of mercury. we live in Florida off the coast.  Well I was craving some fish and my cousin's hubby fishes the pier all the time.  He brought me a filleted mackeral and I cooked it and only ate one piece of it...

I eat a tuna sub maybe once a week, 6 inches of course.. I was told tuna was fine as long as you don't eat a can a day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)