Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

32 week appt.... appropriate?

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM
  • 17 Replies

Is the 32 week appt an appropriate appt to bring up the birth plan, and induction date, especially since i have my hospital tour next week? I need an induction date agreed on now (preferably Oct 20, my due date is the 18th) if i don't have her before then so my mom can get her tickets and get it all settled. He has already agreed to an induction a month ago, we just haven't settled on a date. So would this be an appropriate appt?

And as for the hospital tour do you bring your birthplan then too, to go over when you are filling out all your paper work and talking with the nursing coordinator?

toddler boystorkamerican flag ribbonair force

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DeputyWifeJen
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:48 PM

I just had my 26 week appointment and my doc had me complete my birth plan while I was waiting on my glucose test (Great use of that time, she's so smart!) I gave it back to them and they fax it to the hospital :)

I wouldn't be afraid to ask about induction date now. I am assuming you know you will have to be induced for some medical reason?

Wife to Brian since 11-27-04, Mommy to Will since 6-28-07

sassy_sweet_blu
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:44 AM

to me it sounds like its not medically needed induction.........more like time frame of OPs family needs.......  which JMO  not smart.   First off would u take a cake out of the oven before its done ???  I know ur hoping after ur due date to be induced...... but a due date is a guess.   Its not a for sure thing done deal that the baby is ready to come...   and if the baby is not ready to come then why set urself up for interventions that could cause u to have a c section.???

Now for the induction and birth plan options......... skip the thoughts of induction...... and birth plan i would bring up at the appt....... and at the hospital.  Make ur plan known every where every time...... so it sinks into their heads that u mean business.

Quoting DeputyWifeJen:

I just had my 26 week appointment and my doc had me complete my birth plan while I was waiting on my glucose test (Great use of that time, she's so smart!) I gave it back to them and they fax it to the hospital :)

I wouldn't be afraid to ask about induction date now. I am assuming you know you will have to be induced for some medical reason?

riotgrrl
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:51 AM

I would discuss the birth plan with your provider before the hospital tour.

mamad122
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:57 AM

Don't be afraid to bring up the birth plan, etc. at this next appointment. There's no rules for this:) I don't think that just 8 weeks before is too early to have everything in order!

Pregnancy Ticker 

in love    toddler girl  expecting baby
 Jeremy & Nicole      Shae        Thane OR Joslin
       7-14-07          7-13-08
          12-21-09

ElijahsMom211
by Platinum Member on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:50 AM

Personally, I think the induction plan is a good idea. You're waiting until 2 days after the estimated due date, so you will have kept "the bun in the oven" for 40wks and a couple days so it's not like taking the baby out will be a big deal, unlike having the baby at 32wks or something.

I think that it would be ok to discuss all the things that you want to discuss (your fears, your worries, your questions about induction & birth plans) at your next apt. Heck, IMO it's ok to discuss them whenever. Whenever a question pops into your head, write it down and ask at your next apt.. Couldn't hurt.

Good luck mama and keep us posted!

sassy_sweet_blu
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:37 PM

inductions usually = interventions...........

Quoting ElijahsMom211:

Personally, I think the induction plan is a good idea. You're waiting until 2 days after the estimated due date, so you will have kept "the bun in the oven" for 40wks and a couple days so it's not like taking the baby out will be a big deal, unlike having the baby at 32wks or something.

I think that it would be ok to discuss all the things that you want to discuss (your fears, your worries, your questions about induction & birth plans) at your next apt. Heck, IMO it's ok to discuss them whenever. Whenever a question pops into your head, write it down and ask at your next apt.. Couldn't hurt.

DeputyWifeJen
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:59 PM

I agree. Plus due dates are an ESTIMATE which can be wrong by 2 weeks on either end (or more if you don't know your date of conception or didn't get a u/s until late). Something everyone seems to forget! There is something in the baby's lungs that when they are ready triggers your contractions. WHY would you want to induce (for a non medical reason) before that? I personally just don't understand evicting a perfectly healthy child from your body for no good reason, but that's just my personal opinion.

Quoting sassy_sweet_blu:

inductions usually = interventions...........

Quoting ElijahsMom211:

Wife to Brian since 11-27-04, Mommy to Will since 6-28-07

2009mami2alex
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 10:02 PM
Yet again another mom putting her needs before her babies...sad.
mrs.jonesy
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:41 PM

Honestly, It's this momma's choice.  Let her make it on her own to induce or not.  We're all grown women and don't need to have someone hold our hands and tell us how to do things.  To some people maybe their family lives miles and miles away or maybe they have a deployed husband like i do.  We opt to not have a c-section eventhough we know there is always that chance.  But we also opt to have our families there for a very important part in our lives.  I just don't think it's right to bash her for her choice.  I'm sure she's done her research and knows the risks.  

Sarah: mother to one Wyatt Thomas, got a bun in the oven, going through my first deployment military wifey, sahm, going to college, healt food eating, germaphobic, formula feeding, ex cop momma. =)

katznkt
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:46 PM

I would bring up your birth plan with your doctor, and then ask how she feels about induction. I personally am against it unless medically necessary, but she might not have an issue doing it after your due date. 

I understand the need to buy a plane ticket early and to know ahead if at all possible. Keep in mind, it probably won't be necessary because while most first babies run late, second pregnancies usually end earlier. 

My first came a week early so I am expecting something similar this time around. Who really knows though? 

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Hubby and I can't wait to meet our new addition!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)