Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Natural but induced??? [UPDATED IN PINK!]

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:23 PM
  • 24 Replies

SO,... mamas, im scared sh*tless... Im due today (the 25th) and i have terrible nerve pains in my back and legs. i wanted to have this baby all natural with no drugs and whatnot. However, because of the horrible nerve pains and the fact that i can no longer WALK, my doc wants to induce me this week. now, mamas everywhere on this website say how much more painful the contractions and labor and whatnot is because you're being induced. Has anyone given birth without any pain meds after being induced? i know being induced would be counter productive to my wishes of an all natural birth but i dont know what to do! HELP!

Thank you mamas for all your advice! I spoke to my doctor today (had an appt) and she states that the baby is healthy but because of the nerve pains i'm having, she wanted to induce me.

If not for the pain i would say no but since the pain is now traveling up my arm too and making it numb, im giving in to the induction.

I do plan to refuse all pain meds as far as i can. my man and i both do not want me to be too drugged up for this experience.

I've had a dd previously (4 years ago) and i was so drugged up i was barely concscious (sp?) ! also i couldnt breastfeed for hours and my daughter refused to latch on for weeks :( I'd like to make this a positive experience as much as possible!

So early morning tomorrow i will b going into the hospital to be induced. Hopefully everything goes well, and once i get out i'll post pictures of Leiah Juliette!

THank you ladies!! and wish me luck!!!!!! I"M GONNA NEED IT AS IM A WIMP WHEN IT COMES TO PAIN!!!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg87ok
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Look at different ways to induce labor and talk them over with your doctor. Do some research that way if you do decide to be induced you know all your options, do you want to induce labor natuarally by sex etc. Or do you want you doctor to strip/sweep your membranes, rupture membranes, cervical ripening with gel or balloon, or do you want them to use Pitocin? Its up to you, but I would research first and choose what you think is right. You have a lot of options.

arkansasmama08
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM

Alright mama, let me put it to you plain and simple...Pitocin is from the devil!! Avoid at all costs. lol. Seriously though. I was induced with my first and they put me on a pitocin drip....I made it about 4 hours before my hubby made me get an epidural because I was crying so hard I couldn't catch my breathe, let alone do the breathing I was supposed to be doing. With my second, they put me on a small dose of pitocin, broke my water, and then stopped the pitocin when the contractions started coming stronger by themselves. But that stuff litterally puts contractions one on top of the other. I have already decided that i don't want that stuff to touch me this time around. See if maybe he'd be willing to strip your membranes and see if that won't get things started. But trust me, please....STAY AWAY FROM PITOCIN!!!

momma_gig
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:33 PM

i wasn't induced, but i was given pitocin to make me progress faster because my ob was a b*** and wanted everything done on HER schedule. other than the pitocin and the antibiotics for gbs, i didn't have anything else. no pain meds, no epidural... i wanted it natural too, so i wasn't going to let them take that away from me just because they decided to shoot me up with pitocin. it was bearable until the VERY end. i actually said "ok, i want drugs now" and my ob checked me and said "it's too late, you're almost ready to push". so i tell everyone that definitely wants a natural birth to hang in there and not give up because by the time the pain is so unbearable that you think you can't take anymore, it's almost over :) good luck!

I'm a 20 year old proud mommy of a princess (Emery Grace)kissing expecting a prince (Lucian Abel) in mid October expecting boy and in love with the best guy ever! in love

ttaylor1998
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:49 PM

Just something to consider...   if you choose to be induced, you will be strapped to a bed and on your back.  You will not be able to move much with all the monitoring equipment and iv tubes.  If you are in pain now, imagine how bad it is going to be if you can't move, ya know?

The baby might be laying in a weird position causing all your pain.  Have you gone to www.spinningbabies.com yet?  There might be some exercises you can do to help ease the pain.  A good chiropractor might be able to help as well.

Happy due date, btw. smile mini

siggy2 by you.

Grand Opening July 31st, 8p.m. EST: 

Donate Here For A Great Cause:      

momto1ryen
by Lindsey on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Remember being induced increases your chance of a c-section and pitocin sucks. If you can stick it out even on bed rest I would. If not I wish you nothing but the best!

sassy_sweet_blu
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Ditto.........

Quoting ttaylor1998:

Just something to consider...   if you choose to be induced, you will be strapped to a bed and on your back.  You will not be able to move much with all the monitoring equipment and iv tubes.  If you are in pain now, imagine how bad it is going to be if you can't move, ya know?

The baby might be laying in a weird position causing all your pain.  Have you gone to http://www.spinningbabies.com/ yet?  There might be some exercises you can do to help ease the pain.  A good chiropractor might be able to help as well.

britt6
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:45 AM

Contrary to what alot of women on here say , I say "you can do it" LOL, I was induced  and received no pain medicine of any kind not even an IV...and I wish I could tell ya it wasn't that bad, but it did hurt like hell...but my point is I did it, I put my mind to it and I put my foot down as far as what I wanted because believe me other's in the room were begging me to get the epidural. My best advice to you is try everything you can first and see how well you progress, if you are not progressing and you have spent several hours in agonizing pain than consider the epidural. I am a firm believer that not every woman's body is the same that includes how you feel pain, some well feel more pain than other's, some won't feel hardly any pain at all. Just see how things play out and then make a decision. Good luck mama!

britt6
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:50 AM

Quoting sassy_sweet_blu:

Ditto.........

Quoting ttaylor1998:

The baby might be laying in a weird position causing all your pain.  Have you gone to http://www.spinningbabies.com/ yet?  There might be some exercises you can do to help ease the pain.  A good chiropractor might be able to help as well.

LOL, I was induced twice and I was NEVER strapped to the bed, infact I was allowed to walk around. They just had me lay down every hour and monitor me like 20 minutes or so. Also I was able to move in bed just fine, you don't have to lye flat on your back that is a misnomer. You can move as freely as you like and it is possible. Also you can request at most places to try just the cervical gel and see if that gets things started, if it does than you will not need pit and that means no IV, but ofcourse the gel does not work for everybody. Still you guys are making sound like induction is the end of the world...it is not 1980 anymore, for pete sake I was induced 1 year and 1 month ago and I did not have to do anything you mentioned really. I don't think you guy's realize you have choices and you need to voice them.

Loverocks911
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:10 AM

I went into labor on my own but was scheduled to be induced so, I had pitocin written all over my chart. The people werent paying attention and gave me 3large doses. I was NOT strapped down to the bed, in fact i was on a labor ball for a good bit. But when the contractions starting getting strong I asked to lay in bed. I was in the hospital for just under 5hours before I had my daughter. I DID ask for an epidural after they broke my water and 15mins before i started pushing. and ofcourse they told me no but im soo glad i wasnt able to get it! I'll be going pain med free again when we finally have another.

BaByMaMa27
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:21 AM

I can tell you from PERSONAL experiance that it is almost impossible to deal with pitocin-induced contractions with NO meds. I tried. Even WITH the dang epidural, I was still in horrible pain. But you gotta do what you gotta do to keep you and your sweet baby safe!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Amber. Wife to Clay. Mommy to Faith. TTC baby #2 [with two losses]

Lilypie Trying to Conceive 21 to 37 day cycle tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)