Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kitty litter and pregnancy

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM
  • 12 Replies

Ok I know you're not supposed to mess with your cat's litter box while pregnant (which is why dh has taken over that responsibility) but is this because of the litter or because of the cat's waste?

Here's the reason I ask. My cats' litter box is in the laundry room. One of my cats, named wolf, is smart and uses it, the other (kikio) is just ..... stupid i guess or stubborn idk. But Kikio thinks the whole damn  laundry room is her litter box (including the dryer if i leave it open).  Anyway so every day she makes a horrible mess in the laundry room. Can I clean it up, or do i need to wait for dh to come home and let him do it? is it even safe for me to go in that room to do laundry? (it's not ventilated at all)

I just want whats best for my baby.

pregnancy due date
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chrissy9479
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:53 PM

I believe it has to do with the cats poo lol. My Dr asked me about having cats and I told him I've had cats my whole life and he said that since I've had them so long I've already been exposed to the bacteria and my body would have already built up a resistance to it. but I still got tested for it and it came back negative. I can't remember exactly what it is but anyways yes it is the poo not the litter. I am aprehensive about it too though and make DH do it  :)  

treehugger823
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 10:59 PM

yeah i know of someone that  their baby died shortly after birth because of a defect caused by her cleaning the box while she was pregnant so be careful with that

Quoting Chrissy9479:

I believe it has to do with the cats poo lol. My Dr asked me about having cats and I told him I've had cats my whole life and he said that since I've had them so long I've already been exposed to the bacteria and my body would have already built up a resistance to it. but I still got tested for it and it came back negative. I can't remember exactly what it is but anyways yes it is the poo not the litter. I am aprehensive about it too though and make DH do it  :)  

pregnancy due date
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
PyroGrl1983
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 7:11 AM

It's the kitty waste, not the litter, although if your cats are indoor cats it's not as bad. Here is a website: http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/kittylitter

I would make your husband clean it up. My hubby got to take over the litter box too :)

VLY
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 7:22 AM

could you just wear gloves and a face mask to clean out the box?

Let someone else change the cat's litter box if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant. If that's not possible, wear disposable gloves to change it, and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.  (from the ahealthyme website)

Quoting PyroGrl1983:

It's the kitty waste, not the litter, although if your cats are indoor cats it's not as bad. Here is a website: http://www.ahealthyme.com/topic/kittylitter

I would make your husband clean it up. My hubby got to take over the litter box too :)

Full time Custodial Stayathome Parent (Stepson age 4 and stepdaughter age 8) TTC my First! :) - MOM is not a Noun- IT IS a VERB, and I am doing all the hard work, she may have the TITLE of mommy, but I get to BE the MOMMY!

ashleysmommy820
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 7:36 AM

Toxoplasmosis can be transmitted from cat feces to a human, so avoid it if at all possible, but if you absolutely have to clean some up, wear medical grade latex or vinyl gloves (you can usually get them at a drug store).

CafeMom Tickers
ArrisColwell
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:14 AM

My b/f helps out with the box when he can, but his hours at work and mine make it hard for me to wait on him to do it.

I use gloves, and wash my hands like a mad woman after the fact. My OB is perfectly okay with that. (I called to ask her specifically) Sooooooooo, you can always ask your doc their opinion! :)

NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:14 AM

From the amonia and other stuff in the kittys pee.

Mamagirlz
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:17 AM

It's the cat's pee you aren't suppose to mess with.  If it gets into a cut of yours then it gets into your blood stream and can cause your baby to abort. 

But if you have to clean it up.  Make sure to wear long gloves and then scrub your hands afterwards.  We have a cat and sometimes I don't have a choice to clean some messes up.  So that's what I do to make sure I don't touch any of it.

Loverocks911
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:22 AM

its from the cats waste. I HAD to clean my cats box last year when I was preg due to my hubby being out to sea and living overseas where i dont have family to help me. I took the box outside and wore gloves to clean it. (outside so i could breath without a mask on)

aikenchic
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:18 AM

Quoting VLY:

could you just wear gloves and a face mask to clean out the box?

Let someone else change the cat's litter box if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant. If that's not possible, wear disposable gloves to change it, and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.  (from the ahealthyme website)

Quoting PyroGrl1983:

YES!  I have been changing my cat's litter but I wear surgical cgloves and a surgical mask when I do so.  Some cats can have a bacteria in their feces call Toxoplasmosis.  This bacteria grows 24 hrs after the bm.  HOWEVER.  More women are exposed to Toxoplasmosis through handling raw meat than changing their cat's litter (raw meat is where cats get the bacteria from that is why the risk is higher with cats that are allowed outdoors as well as indoors).  I use the surgical gloves whenever I handle raw meat, wash my hands with antibacterial soap after taking the gloves off, and scrubbing all utensiles and counter area with Bleach after contact with raw meat.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)