• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why am I not dilating???

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM
  • 7 Replies

I've been having contractions for a couple of weeks now and they've been getting stronger and closer together.  Last night they were 8-10 mins apart and all day today they were 3-5 mins apart.  They were getting strong enough that I was getting pretty uncomfortable and since this is my 2nd baby I heard things can happen quickly; I called the doctor who told me to go to L&D to be checked out.  I'm only 1/2 cm dilated (have been for a week) and don't know why these stronger contractions aren't doing their job.  The nurse said she was surprised I wasn't more dilated because the contractions were so strong they were off the chart, lasting a minute and coming every 3-5 mins.  Well, the doctor sent me home and the nurse said she'd be shocked if she didn't see me back by the early morning, but I don't understand why I'm not more dilated since they've been getting really regular and stronger since last night?  Now I don't know when to go to the hospital because I don't want to waste everyone's time if it's nothing again, but then how long do I sit around with them this regular and getting stronger (as I was in the hospital they continued to get stronger)?  I guess I'm just venting since I don't think anyone can really answer why I'm not dilating...

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
luvmyaustin
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:14 PM

first off congratulations!!!!!! with this being the second time around never feel that you are wasting anyone's time that is what they are there for and things can change at any time i went from a three to a nine in a matter of minutes so you never know also you might not be dilating fast cause the baby is high and you might have a lot of amniotic fluid has your water broke?

HeatherW
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:21 PM

No, and I asked the nurse if high fluid could prevent me from dilating and she said no!  I was told at a u/s I had high fluid levels and wondered the same thing.  She told me if I wasn't back by the morning to call my dr to be checked out since my next appt isn't until Fri...so I'll ask her about it then. 

I've heard so many stories of how quickly things have happened for others I'm scared to wait to long, but it's discouraging to be turned away!!  LOL.  One lady said she didn't have any pain and when she was uncomfortable went in to be checked and was already at 7 and was pushing 30 mins later!! 

luvmyaustin
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:28 PM

see that's why things are hard to say exactly when i just had our daughter and my fluids were so much that she was just swimming every time they checked me they felt her head and it was bouncing lol and then finally she went to break my water and just her hand going in ruptured it and then i went to a nine i have heard differently about the fluid thing and if the baby is very high up of course you wont dilate if the baby is high and not pushing down! have you tried walking a lot?

Quoting HeatherW:

No, and I asked the nurse if high fluid could prevent me from dilating and she said no!  I was told at a u/s I had high fluid levels and wondered the same thing.  She told me if I wasn't back by the morning to call my dr to be checked out since my next appt isn't until Fri...so I'll ask her about it then. 

I've heard so many stories of how quickly things have happened for others I'm scared to wait to long, but it's discouraging to be turned away!!  LOL.  One lady said she didn't have any pain and when she was uncomfortable went in to be checked and was already at 7 and was pushing 30 mins later!! 

Mazie0723
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:30 PM

With my second I was at 1 for over two months I went in for a scheduled induction and I was 6 cm and had no clue. It can go very fast so if you feel your in labor take the trip to the hospital better safe then sorry. Good Luck!

CarterMommy
by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:34 PM

i wish you the best of luck --- i was barely 2cm at my appt less than a week before i had my 3rd son... i waited until my contractions were like 2 minutes apart and hurt pretty bad before calling and the dr almost didn't believe me... they didn't even get to check how far dialated i was when i got there cause i got to the room and tried to give a urine sample and change into the gown when my water broke and about 14 minutes later i was holding my son. they couldn't believe it because i was 2 cm like 5 days before and it just went really fast...

i really have no advice other than to really pay attention and if the contractinos keep getting closer go in again and just ask them if you can stay just in case because you'd rather not have the baby at home or in the car(which almost happend to  me with my 3rd)... 

oh and my second was similar but i'll stop with the posting, you can check out my journals where all my boy's birth stories are posted -good luck! 

lil_bittie
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 8:11 AM

My neighbor went a whole week doing the same thing you are doing.  She never dialated, effaced or softened eventhough she had regular strong contractions.  Once her mucus plug came out the contractions were unbarable so she demanded they induce her.  They inserted cervidil and that was all it took.  Five hours later she gave birth.

HeatherW
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 11:14 AM

Quoting lil_bittie:

My neighbor went a whole week doing the same thing you are doing.  She never dialated, effaced or softened eventhough she had regular strong contractions.  Once her mucus plug came out the contractions were unbarable so she demanded they induce her.  They inserted cervidil and that was all it took.  Five hours later she gave birth.

This is all I think I need.  The nurse from L&D told me to call my doctor today for a BP check, since it's been going up and down a lot these last couple of weeks, and I think while I'm there I might ask her about it.  I'm so uncomfortable and these contractions are coming so strong that I'm just tired of wondering if it's the real thing this time and heading to the hospital just to be sent home.  I can't even enjoy the ending of this pregnancy and my 3 year old is also suffering because I'm too uncomfortable to really do anything fun with her and I don't want to go too far away from home alone in case something does happen.  I was induced last time and really wanted to go into labor on my own this time, but I don't know if I can sit around like this too much longer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)