Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Birthplans??

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:55 PM
  • 11 Replies

I know I am only begining my second trimester but I cant stop thinking about a birthplan. I never had one, nor really understood them, when my DD was born but I really want to have one for this baby. Where do you ladies find them or how do you go about making one? I have seen a couple outline type things online but is that really where to start or is there a better way? Just wondering because I just wanna make sure my hospital and doc know what I want.

Thanks Ladies!!!

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 11:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mlg87ok
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:00 AM

I never had a birth plan with my first two pregnancies but I did make one for this pregnancy. It all just depends on what kind of birth you are wanting. I pasted a copy of mine below, you are welcome to use it to get an idea of what it should be like and to copy anything you might want to use.

Birth Plan for Mikki & Derrick

General Comments
  I am creating this birth plan prior to my labor in order to make my wishes clear to my doctor and the nurses at the hospital where I am delivering. These are the items I consider important in the birth of my baby and I would like them to be followed as closely as possible. I understand that a circumstance might come up where either I may change my mind or that my doctor may feel that it is in my best interest to deviate from my birth plan. I will be flexible, although I ask to be kept informed ahead of time of every aspect of my labor. I expect that any and all medical suggestions, procedures, and medicines will be explained fully before we decide what we feel is best.

Labor induction/augmentation
If I go past my due date, and there are no health risks for me or my baby, I do not want to be induced.

I would like the option to return home if my labor is not progressing.

I do not want my water to be broken, please allow it to break on its own.

I would prefer vaginal exams be kept to a minimum.

I do not want an episiotomy.

I would like to be able to try any position comfortable to me during pushing.

I would prefer to be able to eat and drink during labor.

I would prefer no IV unless absolutely necessary. If I need an IV, I would like to use a heparin or saline lock.

Intermittent external monitoring (ACOG standards) using Doppler only.

No coached pushing. I will wait until I feel the urge to push even if I am fully dilated.

Pain Management
We are going for a completely natural, drug free birth with this baby, therefore I do not wish to be given any forms of medication. Please do not ask me.

Environment
I would like my husband to be present during labor and birth and do not want to be separated from my husband during labor and birth.

I would like my children present during labor and birth and do not want to be separated from my children unless an emergency situation arises.

I would like to be able to walk around, mobility is important to me.

After Birth
I would like to have baby placed on my chest immediately after birth.

My husband would like to cut the umbilical cord.

I would prefer baby is breastfed but formula may be given if necessary. If formula is given, I would prefer it to be soy formula.

Cesarean Section
I would like to avoid a c-section if at all possible. I will not consent to a c-section for the following reason: Failure to Progress

I want pain medications that are compatible with breastfeeding.

Tarzan
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:07 AM

Yea I was wondering about tht as well. With my first child I DID have a birth plan but tht was jst a piece of paper me and my doula wrote things down on. It wasnt nothing really planned out, jst writtings here and there as we thought about them and agreed.

And even tho I had a birth plan some of the things I had on there were NOT done. But I guess tht's my fault. I should have stood up for myself more.

But  mlg87ok  I really like the way u did your birth plan and I was actually going to use some of the things you have on there. I hope tht's not a problem...LoL

But other than tht I was jst Bing.com'ing Birth Plans and kinda went from there.

Myspace Pregnancy Countdown Clocks

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
mlg87ok
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 12:19 AM

Not a problem use what you want.

Quoting Tarzan:

Yea I was wondering about tht as well. With my first child I DID have a birth plan but tht was jst a piece of paper me and my doula wrote things down on. It wasnt nothing really planned out, jst writtings here and there as we thought about them and agreed.

And even tho I had a birth plan some of the things I had on there were NOT done. But I guess tht's my fault. I should have stood up for myself more.

But  mlg87ok  I really like the way u did your birth plan and I was actually going to use some of the things you have on there. I hope tht's not a problem...LoL

But other than tht I was jst Bing.com'ing Birth Plans and kinda went from there.

emtgirl885
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 7:06 AM

I made my birth plan in my second trimester. I had two miscarriages, so I wanted to be ready, just in case the baby came when the third trimester started. I am currently 34 weeks, so I am happy that the baby has not come yet. Plus, now that I started my third trimester, I am tired all the time and just want to sleep, so I am glad that I made my birth plan early.

I started out by getting ideas online and then just modified what I wanted.

Here is my birth plan:

Robert and Melinda Lamb

Religion: Catholic

Due Date

: October 6, 2009

Allergies

: Latex

Blood Type

: A+

Doctor

: CDR. Harvison

Medical

: Gestational Diabetes

This birth plan is intended to express the preference and desires we have for the birth of our baby. We fully realize that situations may arise such that our plan cannot and should not be followed. However, we hope that you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options. Thank you.

A. First Stage of Labor

Upon arrival at the hospital, I would like to have my husband with me at all times.

Minimal vaginal exams.

Freedom to move around, unless not allowed.

Clear Fluids/Ice Chips. IV allowed, when needed.

Monitoring of baby allowed.

Epidural wanted, when needed at appropriate time.

Relaxation/Positional changes/Massage can be used as pain relief options too.

For Induction or Augmentation, I would like to use natural methods.

B. Second Stage of Labor

I want only my husband allowed in the room while I am pushing.

Different positions used for pushing. Directed pushing.

Episiotomy can be done, if tearing will occur. Local anesthetic.

Delay cutting of cord, unless cord is around baby’s neck. Doctor will cut cord.

Immediate eye care and other treatments/tests to be done on baby.

Baby will be breastfed and bottle fed. Glucose water and pacifiers can be given.

Baby not separated from us, unless we have been told.

If baby is a boy, we allow him to be circumcised, under our watch.

If my delivery went smoothly, I would like to be up two hours after.

C. Other

C-section to be done, if an emergency comes up.

My baby and I should be given ALL medical treatment, if something happens.

ashleysmommy820
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 7:41 AM

I just used one of the outlines I found online when I was pregnant with dd. Just remember that at least 50% of what you put on there probably will not happen...babies all have a mind of their own when it comes to labor...

CafeMom Tickers
robin1725
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:13 AM

I used the sample birth plan on earthmamaangelbaby.com and picked out the points on it that were important to me. Then, I typed my own out to develop my birth plan and here is what we came up with:

It is mine, Robin ***** and my husband, Robert *****'s ideal plan to have a natural birth, free of drugs and unnecessary interventions. In the case of an emergency, if fetal and/or maternal demise is imminent, we expect to discuss all procedures and/or medications.

Our requests for first stage labor:      

•·         Fetal heart rate monitored by intermittent monitoring for 15 minutes every hour, no internal monitors. 

•·         The mother wishes to have minimal vaginal exams.

•·         No chemical induction methods or artificial rupturing of membranes are to be used. If labor is slowing, we will use natural methods.

•·         Husband is to be present with mother at all times, especially if the doctor wants to discuss doing things differently than what is in our birth plan.

•·         *** The mother requests that no one offer her medicinal pain relief. ***

•·         The mother wishes to have the freedom to eat and drink during labor.

•·         The mother also wishes to have the freedom to move around, change position, shower or bathe during labor.

•·         No IV

•·         No use of a catheter unless needed during an emergency

Our requests for second stage labor:

•·         The mother wishes to push when she feels it is necessary. No "coached" pushing.

•·         The mother also wishes to push in the positions she feels are best at that time including but not limited to squatting.

•·         The mother does not want an episiotomy.

•·         Refrain from use of forceps and vacuum extraction 

•·         Cesarean section is a worst case scenario, only to be used if absolutely necessary...failure to progress is not an emergency!!!

•·         The mother wishes to have the birth videotaped and photographed.

•·         The mother would like a mirror available to view the birth.

•·         The mother would like to feel the head as it crowns.

Our requests following the birth of the baby:

•·         The baby is to be placed on the mother immediately after birth.

•·         Delayed cord clamping and cutting until it has stopped pulsating.

•·         The father is to cut the cord

•·         Natural delivery of the placenta -no drugs, uterine massage or tugging on the cord. The mother will use natural methods, such as nursing, and using the bathroom to encourage the placenta to come out on it's own.

•·         The mother wishes to keep the placenta for religious reasons.

•·         All newborn assessments are to be delayed and done while the baby is with the mother

•·         The baby is to be with either the mother or father at all times.

•·         The mother and father will give the baby its first bath.

•·         The baby is to be breastfed ONLY. DO NOT give the baby a bottle or a pacifier.

•·         Under NO CIRCUMSTANCES is the baby to have a Hepatitis B shot, Vitamin K shot or eye drops.

•·         NO VACCINATIONS of any kind are to be given to the baby.

•·         We have made other arrangements for PKU testing to be done at a later time.

If a cesarean is necessary:  

•·          The mother does not want her arms to be strapped down.  

•·          The screen is to be lowered when the baby is being pulled out so that the mother can see the baby as soon as she emerges

•·          Placenta and umbilical cord are to be delivered with the baby and delay cutting the cord until it has stopped pulsating.

•·          The mother wishes to hold the baby as soon as fetal assessments are finished.

•·          The baby is to stay with the mother the entire time she is being stitched up.

•·          The mother wishes to nurse the baby as soon as possible after the birth.

Rules for visitors

•·          The only people allowed in the room during the baby's birth are my husband, my mother, and my sister. 

CafeMom Tickers
riotgrrl
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Some hospitals have a format that they preferred. In my last two pregnancies, my midwife gave me a copy of the hospital's form that DH and I filled in and stated our preferences. There was a blank page on the back for 'other'.

There are lots of online forms you can fill out and alter to add things that are important to you. It's not too soon to discuss with your provider. I really think a birthplan is only useful if your provider is on the same page with you about things. As long as you and your provider are in agreement, it's very helpful to have it all in writing for the hospital staff.

jerbear83
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:26 PM

Here is my birth plan. Sometimes I feel like I am being a bit too picky and the staff may not follow my birth plan. Then, sometimes I feel like my requests are not too hard to accomodate and i shouldn't feel bad about it and it;s my baby, right? What do you other mamas think about this? Do you mamas think my request are reasonable or too picky?

Birth Plan

Mother: Jerri L. Wiser

Father: Allen K. Craven

Other support person: Jodie L. Ackley

Due Date: January 6, 2010

Doctor: Dr. James Douglas

This birth plan is intended to express my preferences for the birth of my baby. I understand that complications may arise where the following plan can't or shouldn't be followed for the safety of myself or my baby. I do expect to be kept informed and aware of all of my options if a situation should occur. I expect that this birth plan will be followed to the best of the medical staff's ability provided there are no complications. I understand that the medical staff has the best interests of me and my baby in mind and it is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

First Stage of Labor

Environment:

•-       I would prefer a calm and peaceful environment.

•-       I would prefer to visit with family and friends.

Mobility:

•-       I would prefer to maintain mobility and the freedom to move around when desired.

Hydration:

•-       I would prefer to be able to drink clear liquids and have ice if I choose to.

•-       Insertion of an IV is fine as long as I can still maintain mobility.

•-       If needed, IV fluids are fine.

Monitoring:

•-       I would prefer vaginal exams be kept at a minimum.

•-       I would prefer intermittent monitoring with a Doppler.

•-       I am only okay with continuous monitoring if there is a problem with the baby.

Pain relief:

•-       This is my first child and I have no clue how labor will feel, but I would prefer to avoid an epidural at all costs.

•-       IV pain meds can be given, such as Stadol, but only if I ask for it.

•-       I prefer to manage my pain by changing positions, relaxation, water therapy, or massage.

Induction/Augmentation:

•-       I prefer not to be induced even if I go over my due date unless I or my baby is in danger.

•-       I prefer for my water to break on its own unless medically necessary.

Catheterization:

•-       I would prefer to avoid catheterization at all costs unless absolutely necessary.

Second Stage of Labor

Pushing:

•-       I prefer to push in any position that's the most comfortable for me.

•-       I prefer to push when I feel the urge to do so even if I'm fully dilated.

Delivery:

•-       I would prefer to have a mirror available so I can watch the birth.

Immediately Following delivery:

•-       I want the baby placed on my chest after the birth.

•-       I would like the father to cut the cord.

•-       If the father is unable to cut the cord or doesn't wish to do so I would like my mother to have the option to do so.

•-       I would prefer that the clamping and cutting of the cord wait until pulsating stops.

•-       I don't want anything to assist with the delivery of the placenta unless it's necessary.

•-       I want the baby examined in my presence or for the father to be with the baby at all times.

Episiotomy:

•-       If it looks like I may tear then an episiotomy is fine as long as the area is numbed first.

Baby Care:

•-       I want to breastfeed exclusively.

•-       I would like to meet with a lactation consultant as soon as possible.

•-       I do not want the baby to be given a pacifier or glucose water.

•-       I would prefer my baby stay with me until I can accompany her to the nursery or the father is able to go with her.

•-       I would prefer that my door be closed and the staff and visitors knock before entering.

•-       I would like for my baby to room in with me, unless I ask for her to go to the nursery. In any event I ask for her to go to the nursery I still want her brought to me for breastfeeding.

Complications:

•-       In the event my life or my baby's life is threatened, do whatever is necessary.

C- Section:

•-       I only want a c-section if it is medically necessary.

•-       I would like everything to be discussed before hand.

•-       I would prefer for the father to be present.

•-       I would prefer a description of what is going on and what I should expect to feel to reduce anxiety.

•-       I would prefer for the father to cut the cord after it has stopped pulsating.

•-       I would like to breastfeed as soon as possible afterward.

•-       I would like to hold my baby as soon as possible afterward.

Sick Infant:

•-       I would prefer to breastfeed or pump milk for the baby under any circumstances.

•-       If my baby has to be taken to another hospital I want the father to be able to accompany the baby and I would like to be transferred as soon as possible.

Thank you to everyone involved for respecting my wishes and trying to make our birth experience as enjoyable as possible!

Mamagirlz
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 2:44 PM

I've written one but I don't know if I'll use it or not.  Mainly b/c I know what I want and this is my 3rd time doing it.  Each delivery is different and you don't know what to expect.  I like going with the flow anyways and do what I feel is needed at the time. 

MommaTiff23
by on Aug. 26, 2009 at 3:29 PM

i made a birth plan with my first but I honestly I dont think it made any difference. Everybody just sort of went with the flow and did what they wanted regardless of what I wanted, so I didnt even bother making one this time. I was induced so nothing went like I wanted cause I had planned to go into labor naturally. My doc induced me because she wanted me out of the hospital before thanksgiving. I didnt think that was a good reason but i didnt want to argue. I was immediately hooked up to an iv as soon as I got to the hosptal. They gave me IV meds because of the pitocin without asking me first. I was hooked up to fetal monitors the whole time so I couldn't move around like I wanted to. I was never able to get up and walk. I had coached pushing which started to get on my nerves after a while because I felt like my husband,mom,and nurses were getting frustrated with me cause I wasnt pushing like they wanted me to. But it was my first baby and I didnt know what I was doing and I was trying to listen to my body, but they all felt like I was taking to long I guess. This time I plan on bein a little more forceful with my preferences. Good Luck. but in my opinion birthplans are a waste of time.

Lilypie

Lilypie

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)