Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bradley Method

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM
  • 6 Replies

Has anyone ever used or heard of the Bradley Method? My friend gave me a book called "Natural Birth the Bradley Way" and I have found it very interesting thus far. Any opinions? Thanks.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
prd2b_calledmom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:04 AM

i may have read other moms talking about it on here but im not sure what it is really. can you post info?

logunsmommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 12:11 AM

I wanted to take a class, but the lady wanted 250 bux for the 11 wks..  I can't afford that.. so I don't know much about it, but know that it is supposed to really really help with back labor. 

lacylulu
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:36 PM

I just started reading the book yesterday, but what I have gotten so far is the key to this method of natural birthing is relaxation, just letting your uterus do the work and natural breathing during labor. It's also called "The Husband Coaching Method" because your dh, or whoever you are having in the room, is there to help rub your back, help you relax and keep an eye on your breathing. It says one of the main problems with Lamaze is the difficult three-step breathing method which can cause hyperventilation in the mother and apnea in the baby.

This is my first pregnancy, and I really want to have a natural birth and I think I am going to try this method. I have a large tattoo on my side, I realize that this is no comparison to childbirth but my reference is moreso in respects to pain control, and whenever we are working on it for a long period of time the pain seems to be a lot more tolerable when you are relaxed and breathing normal than when you are frigid and breathing rapidly.

SabrinaL
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 1:07 PM

I don't have any personal experience with this method but from what I hear it is  a good method.  The most important this to me is the breathing and focusing on something other than the pain.  If you are in the natural childbirth group that would be a great place to post this.

riotgrrl
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 1:28 PM

I read up on a number of different methods for childbirth, and I found a lot of the techniques from the Bradley method to be very useful for me in transition labor. I liked the room being dark and quiet and peaceful, and I found it very useful to focus on conscious muscle relaxation through my contractions. The breathing techniques I didn't use as much. It's a good book. I'd read up on other methods too, and practice using the techniques that sound good to you from lots of different methods. Until you are actually there in it, it's hard to tell what will really be useful to you and what won't. Practicing the techniques ahead of time is a good idea because you want them to be familiar and basically second nature to you, not something you are struggling to remember and master while in the throes of labor.

lacylulu
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 6:15 PM

I am definitely reading up on other types of methods, I am waiting on a book to come into my library about Hypnobirthing and I've been doing a lot of online research.

Quoting riotgrrl:

I'd read up on other methods too, and practice using the techniques that sound good to you from lots of different methods. Until you are actually there in it, it's hard to tell what will really be useful to you and what won't. Practicing the techniques ahead of time is a good idea because you want them to be familiar and basically second nature to you, not something you are struggling to remember and master while in the throes of labor.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)