Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

playpen/bassinet

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM
  • 10 Replies

So we bought an Eddie Bauer play pen/bassinet from my friend. Has anyone used to bassinet as a place for the baby to sleep the first few weeks/months? We plan to get a crib, but I have never had a play pen with a bassinet so I'm stumped...

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
asaul
by Member on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

We did & I loved it....Liam was right there next to the bed for feeding, etc. I also layed him in the highest setting in the played pen in his poppy & he loved that 2.

azn_ladie82
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:32 PM

You don't have to get a crib. I never really liked them because of the bars. I've always gotten the pack n play (play pens) instead.

~ SAHM to Jordan (4), Jayden (2), Justin (1) & 2 Angel Babies ~
Kikesama
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:35 PM

Cool. I asked because hubby was like well maybe we don't have to get a crib right away. I am worried that maybe the play pens bassinet wont be as comfortable as maybe a crib mattress.. IDK Did you have any problems with the baby rolling over or anthing?

I guess the "rolling over" kind of sounds dumb if yah have it set up the right way, which I do. I am just being a worry wart and guess I was thinking of the sturdiness.

callie06
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:38 PM

we used a bassinet till my son was almost 4months old he started rolling over and was out growing it.

YvonnesMommy
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM

I used the pack-in-play for the day time... for naps, and someplace to put her.  But at night time, she was in her crib.  I loved it and it was light weight and easy to move around.

CafeMom Tickers
lucky2bemom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:39 PM

Reading your ? brought back the memories of when my DS first came home.  I wanted him with me all the time.  We often sleep together in the recliner with him on my chest. I felt that he was safe and I LOVED it.

So no I don't think you need one right way.  See if the play pen works for you and then you'll know.

JasonsMom2007
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 3:45 PM

We used them for a while in our bedroom for nighttime.  DS´ crib was downstairs in his room for naps.  The first one was baby trend and the mattress did NOT lay flat.  Where it folded the wood it felt like would overlap and leave huge bumps so we returned it and bought a fisher price rainforest one since my son loved the rainforest stuff.  Well, nobody really believed me but I INSISTED that the side was collapsing on it on its own and refused to use it anymore.  Babies R Us took that one back as well.  Boy did I feel vindicated when they were all recalled a few months later!   We replaced it with a phil and teds T2 and moved DS´ crib up to our room for him to sleep in.

This time I am going to get a co-sleeper so our baby can be right next to me.  But no, I don´t think you need a crib right away.

othermom
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:39 PM

My kids slept in a bassinet for 2-3 months till they out grew it, then a play pen till they moved to the crib.

RuckMama09
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 5:11 PM

We have a Graco Abbington Collection Pack 'N Play on our registry for Rayna. It has a bassinet, changing table, mobile, lights & sounds with it! She will be sleeping in there on a special playard mattress pad until she outgrows it & can sleep in her crib! We can't wait for November to finally get to meet, hold & raise her!

CafeMom Tickers
Happy2BDomestic
by on Aug. 31, 2009 at 8:27 PM

We didn't buy one before the baby was born b/c we thought we wouldn't need one.  We ended up going out and buying one b/c I wanted the baby close and the crib was to big for him to sleep in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)