Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ovulation pain but no +OPK?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM
  • 2 Replies

I think I've been ovulation pain today. Just a dull ache all day by my right ovary...I also had some creamy CM today and I never am wet down there..I took a digital OPK today at noon and it was negative...

Is it maybe too soon for the OPK to be positive? Do you feel pain and then ovulate a few days later, or the same day? And when do you get a +OPK in relation to your ovulation pain?

My name is Erin and I'm Happily married to Matt. We have 2 beautiful children, Kylie (6-13-06) and Lucas (5-23-08), and we're TTC our 3rd and last baby.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
JsunkissedB
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 4:17 PM

im confused on this as well, i always have pain in my right abdomen as well 2 weeks before im supposed to start AF so i always thought i was ovulating. I took an OPK and there was only the control line. I have taken an OPK test for a couple weeks now everymoring and have only had one faint line never the solid go baby dance line.

I have never had trouble getting pregnant just wanted to see if we could concieve a boy (your supposed to 24 hours before to 12 hours after Ovulation) thought it couldnt hurt maybe i already am ,AF hasnt come yet . Good luck im curious to the responses i have had the same question!!

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 5:00 PM

Well I found this information, which is pretting cool. I will keep testing a few times a day over the next few days and see if I get a positive. If I do, I'll update this.

18. My OPK results don't align with my ovulation pain. Is the OPK wrong? The official medical word for "ovulation pain" is "mittelschmerz," which is the official German name for "I am a jelly donut." Wait, I'm confusing my German phrases. Actually, "mittelschmerz" means, literally "pain in the middle." If you are like me, you grew up hearing "Ow, I'm ovulating" from big sisters or girls at school. Much as I love my sisters, they really didn't know what they were talking about. Who am I kidding? All little sisters love announcing a revelation like that ;)

Most women don't really feel themselves ovulate. ("I do!" you're exclaiming.) Probably not. ("But look at my chart! It only happens around ovulation!") Yup, happens to me too . . . and it may be occurring the exact moment of ovulation. But in fact, studies on mittelschmerz have shown that a woman is just as likely to have these pains days before ovulation (when the egg follicle is growing, or a build-up of mucus in the Fallopian tubes getting ready for ovulation) or after ovulation (the egg bursts out of its follicle with some force-- sometimes women will experience spotting or moderate bleeding at this time.) Yes, you may actually feel the egg burst out of its follicle at the moment of ovulation-- but you could just as well be feeling the pre- or post-ovulatory effects. Or that burrito.

Therefore, if your "ovulation pain" doesn't seem to jibe with the timing of your OPK, go with your OPK-- the presence of the hormone in your urine is a much better detector of ovulation than trying to make sense of twinges or tingles in your abdomen.

For what it's worth, feeling or not feeling "ovulation pain"/mittelschmerz isn't important; some women feel it, some don't, some feel it only sometimes, some are in major pain (up to and including emergency room visits suspecting appendicitis), some are "Hmm, I felt a little twinge." All are variations on normal, and don't mean you are more or less fertile or anything like that.

Read more: http://messageboards.ivillage.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=iv-ppttcanother&msg=38623.1&ctx=0#ixzz0PVtd8cKN

My name is Erin and I'm Happily married to Matt. We have 2 beautiful children, Kylie (6-13-06) and Lucas (5-23-08), and we're TTC our 3rd and last baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)