Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids in the delivery room?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM
  • 20 Replies

Hey ladies! I was wondering if any of you have had your kids in the delivery room? If so, how old were they and how was the experience? If not, what are your thoughts on it? I think I want my DD in the room with my hubby when the time comes. She will have just turned 5 (going on 30 lol). She will of course have a view from the top, and not see the actual delivery. She watches A Baby Story and Birth Day etc. with me everyday and knows where babies come from and that there all gross when their born and all that good stuff, so I don't think it will traumatize her or anything. LOL. She is already very involved in the pregnancy and has/will to all my Dr. apts with me (though she sits in the waiting room with daddy during the exam part) and I think that it will be an experience she will always remember and cherish.

pregnancy due date
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 7:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JaimieLynn144
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:11 PM

I think this is a GREAT idea!  It's a great learning experience, and not to mention it might make you feel a lot better during the delivery. 

KITTYCAT1
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:21 PM

I plan on having my daughters in the room. They will be 7 1/2 and 9 1/2 when the baby is born. I think it will be a good experience and I hope it will help them to feel included and help them form a strong bond with the baby. I would recommend having someone who is willing to take your daughter at any time if it becomes to much for her. I'm going to have my sister there to take my girls if they no longer want to be in the room.

Takeya8
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:40 PM

with my last pregnancy my three year old and six year old were in there the whole time and watched the whole thing blood and all! They thought it was very exciting! so i don't think there's nothing wrong with it!

CafeMom Tickers
KokoJones
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM

my dd1 was nearly 4 when i went in to have my dd2 she was there in the delivery room but it started getting intense right before they gave me my epi so she was getting upset seeing me in pain and my bestie took her home... i would love to have both of my dds in the room when i go to have this baby, dd1 will be nearly 9 and dd2 will be nearly 5.

CafeMom Tickers

Koko- navy wife-mommy of two- currently baking baby #3

TigerBaby69
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 8:50 PM

I don't agree with having kids in the delivery room. I know it would scare the hell out of my daughter to see all the blood and see mommy in so much pain, plus I don't want her staring at her sister coming out of my cooch. In my honest opinion, its not something a child should see.

babies
babies
angelluvgoddess
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I agree..I want grandkids someday

Quoting TigerBaby69:

I don't agree with having kids in the delivery room. I know it would scare the hell out of my daughter to see all the blood and see mommy in so much pain, plus I don't want her staring at her sister coming out of my cooch. In my honest opinion, its not something a child should see.

Proud Mommy And Wife
M/C 6/12/01-8wks
M/C 10/16/01-10wks
Samantha Renay 9/3/02
Wedding Date 3/4/05
Emily Nichole 5/21/05
M/C 2/20/07-10wks
EDD 1/20/10

:Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Pregnancy ticker
mama2mycuties
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 10:40 AM

I just posted this in another group and got some really positive experiences from mama's that have........this is baby 6 for us and we've decided that if the hospital allows it we'll let our 7yr old dd and 9yr old ds be there for the birth.....they'll be 1 mth shy of 8 and 10yrs at the time......they are very excited and since I have very easy fast births I don't think anything should be a problem, I'm going to find some birthing videos for them to watch.............and if by chance something should come up we'll have people in the waiting room they could go sit with :)

riotgrrl
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 2:23 PM

My oldest son was almost five when his little sis was born and was just turned six when his little brother was born and was in the room with me both times. He was amazed and enthralled by the experience and loved being there to see his little brother and sister's lives begin. As the OP suggested, he was in the room, but standing back next to my head where he could be there and see what was going on but was not subjected to an up-close and graphic view of mom's genitalia.

I think that you have already done one thing that is important, which is to show her videos of what birth is like so she knows that it hurts, and that's normal, and that it's got it's bloody and icky moments, and that's normal too. It can still be a different matter for kids from seeing it on a video, to being there in real life when it is their mom in pain and leaking strange fluids, so even if she's pretty well-prepared, have a back up plan in case it is a little too intense for her. Bring someone with her to be her support person, not just for if it gets too intense and she needs to leave, but just to tend to her needs and take care of her so that your support person and you can focus on the delivery. My mom came to both of my other kids births to take care of my older son.

This time we are planning a homebirth, and all 4 of our older kids (9,8,4 and 3) will probably be in the house, whether or not they are in the actual room. My mom is again coming to help out with the kids during labor and delivery. We've watched birth videos and talked about the process, and my oldest kid gave a pretty great impersonation of me in labor and answered some questions from the other kids about birth from a child's perspective. I think they will all be ok with it, and my DH and mom will be keeping tabs on them to make sure they are all, and if it does seem to be a bit much for one or more of them, we plan to have some new movies and favorite junk food snacks they are rarely allowed to indulge in to keep them distracted until the baby is born.

shawneewaiting
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 2:46 PM
I think it's great! my daughter is 10 and she will be in the room. I think it's good for them to really have an understanding of the whole experiance and not to mention maybe if they see the pain and some of the gross aspects of it it could deter her from being unsafe with sex later in life. Good luck.
shawneewaiting
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 2:57 PM

I meant to add that the most common piece of advise I've gotten about having my daughter in the room is to have somebody there (at least in the waiting room) that can take her out if she gets freaked out or upset by anything, which is a real concern for a five year old. You should have somebody there other than your husband so if she does need to leave he can stay. Also make sure he knows enough to answer any questions she has about what's going on, or what the doc is doing to mommy in case you are in too much pain to answer her yourself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)