Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bradley Method

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM
  • 6 Replies

Has anyone ever used or heard of the Bradley Method? My friend gave me a book called "Natural Birth the Bradley Way" and I have found it very interesting thus far. Any opinions? Thanks.

by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Miss-Baby-Baker
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 10:47 PM

I have personally never tried it but I did hear about it from a pregnancy group at an Army hospital I was attending. I wish I had heard about it before I had my baby because they were having classes on it at a Baby's 'R Us. The woman told us that a mother had a very successful birth with no medication at all. She said it was the most wonderful experience she had ever had. So based on that, I'm sure it works very well!

robin1725
by on Aug. 28, 2009 at 11:42 PM

I'm planning on taking a birthing class that focuses on the Bradley method. I really want a completely natural birth and that is what the method is all about. I have heard very good things. It is supposed to help you get in tuned with your body and take control. I have the same book along with "Birthing from within" and they are both great books!!!

CafeMom Tickers
Jenny301
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 12:39 AM

I have that book (along with several others) from our library right now.  I'm not sure if I am going to try that or hypnobirthing.  I am looking into both.

mlyn23
by on Aug. 29, 2009 at 10:18 AM

personally I am not sure as to weather i plan on using this method for our new baby or not... i did not use it for my last child.

What is the Bradley method of childbirth?

This method embraces the idea that childbirth is a natural process and that, with the right preparation, most women can avoid pain medication and routine interventions during labor and birth. It's named after American obstetrician Robert Bradley, who developed the method in the late 1940s.

The program lasts 12 weeks and is more intensive than other childbirth education classes. Proponents claim that over 86 percent of Bradley-trained couples have had spontaneous, unmedicated vaginal births.

The Bradley philosophy says that it takes months to prepare for childbirth and parenting — mentally, physically, and emotionally — and prides itself on addressing all aspects of natural childbirth, as well as many pregnancy and postpartum issues. The course also emphasizes educating partners to be effective coaches.

What will my partner and I learn in a Bradley course?

To make sure the classes are thorough and personal, classes are limited to eight couples and are often even smaller. The course will address:

• Nutrition and how it affects a growing fetus

• The importance of exercise (when appropriate) during pregnancy

• Common pregnancy symptoms and complaints, and how to cope with them

Techniques for relaxation during labor and birth, with an emphasis on breathing methods to help you "tune-in" and manage your pain rather than distract you from it

• Methods to help your partner be an active participant and a skilled coach on labor day

• The
stages of labor and how to cope with the changes your body experiences during each one

• Medical interventions and how to avoid unnecessary ones

• How to reduce your risk of having a
c-section and what to do if it becomes medically necessary

• Making a birth plan and how to communicate effectively with your medical team

• Breastfeeding

How can I find out more or find a class near me?

Call the American Academy of Husband-Coached Childbirth — the organization that Bradley founded to disseminate information about his method — at (800) 422-4784 or visit the group's website to get a list of instructors certified in the Bradley Method who practice in your area.

doulala
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 1:35 AM

I did it, it was great!

But I love learning about birth stuff, anyway, lol!

Do you want a natural birth?  In a hospital?

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

lacylulu
by on Aug. 30, 2009 at 11:40 AM

i originally wanted a water birth, and the closest hospital that "allows" it is an hour and a half away without traffic. yes, my insurance won't cover a homebirth and we don't have the finances at the moment to pay out of pocket. so i decided to go with a CNM and have the baby at the hospital. my midwife seems as though she is compeletely compliant with all of my wishes so i am hoping for the best when the time comes. smile

Quoting doulala:

I did it, it was great!

But I love learning about birth stuff, anyway, lol!

Do you want a natural birth?  In a hospital?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)