Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anyone else past their due date???

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM
  • 9 Replies

Hello!

I am going to be 41 weeks tomorrow and they are inducing me... I was hoping so bad to go inot labor on my own I tried walking, sex, pineapple, spicy food, my midwife even stripped my membranes 6 days ago and still nothing progressive.

I had been losing my mucous plug for 3 days after the membrane stripping but that just completley stopped also.

I am 3 cm at least but I still don't want to get induced- but I am worried about keeping him in there any longer... so I am just praying all goes well tomorrow.  Figures yesterday I came down with a terrible chest cold.

Just wondering if there's any other mommas out there who are past their due date and what's going on with you.?? 

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
doulala
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Try not to be worried!    What has you woried?

The average gestation is 40 weeks, a mid-point of a four-week period.   That means that normal, spontaneous labor usually happens sometimes between 38 and 42 weeks.

Your body IS getting ready, the cervix is changing, the plug is coming.  This means that your body works!   You can be confident because your body knows what to do, when, how!

Those home remedies weren't working because your body is doing it on it's own, at it's own pace.   Don't feel discouraged.  Know that your body WILL bring that baby out if you give it the chance.  :-)

With my second baby I went to 41 weeks.   It was a spontaneous labor~   so much nicer than my first, induced labor.    Letting the body & baby line up to do their dance together makes a huge difference.

Stay strong, hun, good luck!!

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

KatieFlower
by Bronze Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:44 AM

than you so much for your words of encouragement!

BrunetteMomma
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:46 AM

I've been induced with both my children and my DD wasnt induced till 41.5 weeks. Its just lame our bodies dont go into labor on their own but at least we have help to push it along. You will do great.

{{ ROCK YOUR UGLY }}
doulala
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:47 AM

No problem, I have more, too.  ;-)

Let me know if you need anything!

Best wishes!!!

Birth is not only about making babies. Birth is about making mothers ~ strong, competent, capable mothers who trust themselves and know their inner strength.

~Barbara Katz Rothma

When you change the way you view birth, the way you birth will change. -Mongan

shawneewaiting
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 11:59 AM

I'm not even in my third trimester yet, but I went almost two weeks overdue with my daughter and it freakin sucks:)- I remember sitting there on the night of my actual due date and just being so mad. Here was the day I had been counting down to and I got a big bunch of NOTHIN'! Well during my next pregnancy I went to a midwife who gave me safe tips on inducing labor on my own that totally worked and are safe. 1) Nipple stimulation and 2) some hearbal teas with black cohosh, blue cohosh and red raspberry leaf. They definately worked. I never did have to be induced with either, but the remidies she gave me definitely worked, so maybe you can give them a try if you wanna try to  avoid induction. If not just try to revel in the fact that you will have your prescious baby within the day, that can only be good. Well good luck and congrats on making it to the finish line.

doulala
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:14 PM

Quoting shawneewaiting:
Well during my next pregnancy I went to a midwife who gave me safe tips on inducing labor on my own that totally worked and are safe. 1) Nipple stimulation and 2) some hearbal teas with black cohosh, blue cohosh and red raspberry leaf. They definately worked. I never did have to be induced with either, but the remidies she gave me definitely worked, so maybe you can give them a try if you wanna try to  avoid induction.

Good to hear you had successful experiences!   Not all remedies are "safe" for everyone.   Your midwife knew these things would be good for you.    They were done under her direction, her supervision.

When moms I have worked with do these things, it's under the supervision of the L & D nurses, in the hospital, or with the awareness of doctor/midwife at home.

And when I did them myself I had to be in the prenatal office because those herbs can dangerously lower blood pressure, even though I was perfectly healthy.   And the nipple stimulation is releasing Oxytocin ( = natural Pitocin).   That makes for abnormally intense contractions, this could deprive baby of oxygen, like Pit does.

Lots of moms do this stuff~   as long as she's aware of the risks & consults her care provider, go for it.

The knowledge of how to give birth without outside intervention lies deep within each woman. Successful childbirth depends on an acceptance of the process. ~Suzanne Arms

Birth is not an emergency. It is simply an emergence.” - Jeannine Parvati Baker

JakemeandBABY
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:20 PM

I am 41 weeks today. We've tried sex, sex and more sex. :)  Long walks, tea, labor cookies, nipple stimulation - you name it, we've tried it.  The only thing I haven't tried is castor oil. I have a doctor's appointment in the morning. I'm sure we'll talk induction.

Alex, Jake and baby makes 3!!

expecting baby

RamonsWife
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 5:45 PM

Quoting shawneewaiting:

I'm not even in my third trimester yet, but I went almost two weeks overdue with my daughter and it freakin sucks:)- I remember sitting there on the night of my actual due date and just being so mad. Here was the day I had been counting down to and I got a big bunch of NOTHIN'! Well during my next pregnancy I went to a midwife who gave me safe tips on inducing labor on my own that totally worked and are safe. 1) Nipple stimulation and 2) some hearbal teas with black cohosh, blue cohosh and red raspberry leaf. They definately worked. I never did have to be induced with either, but the remidies she gave me definitely worked, so maybe you can give them a try if you wanna try to  avoid induction. If not just try to revel in the fact that you will have your prescious baby within the day, that can only be good. Well good luck and congrats on making it to the finish line.

OMG!!!  So, this is where I stand and I know EXACTLY how you felt!!!  I was due yesterday and here I am... at work... STILL pregnant!  UGH!  My fiance is going NUTS, he can only see me on Saturdays and the Doctor recommends I don't go up there because its 1 1/2 hour drive and anything is possible.  This sucks!  sooo... to the OP, I will be induced on Monday 9/14 if she doesn't come on her on this week.  The cool thing though... my birthday is 9/13.  :o)  But, I REALLY WANT HER HERE NOW!!!!!!  I want my body back!  lol

MarigoldsMama
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 5:52 PM

Not with this one... I'm still early on... but with my 1st, I thought I'd be waiting forever!

Her "due" date was October 31st -- my Halloween baby -- Her actual birthday? It is November 13th! Those two weeks were really hard, but I was fine (blood pressure, etc.) she was fine (had an excellent non-stress test & ultrasound) So, I just decided to wait until I went into labor on my own. I really didn't want to induce.

I had an induction scheduled if I went much past the 42 week mark, but she decided to come on her own. I went into labor without needing to be induced. Everything went fine and I had the drug-free birth that I planned.

Good luck to you, Mama! Hang in there!

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)