Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

About my Glucose Screening. Please help im young and unknowledgeable.

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM
  • 10 Replies
I went to my ob for my glucose test. I drank all of the drink and then an hour later they tested my blood sugar and it was 40! Has this ever happened to you?
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Schleetle
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:04 PM

I am getting my test next Wednesday so I have no idea what numbers are good, or bad yet... Did you eat, or drink anything sugary before you went? (I am assuming 40 is high, but like I said I don't know).

Pregnancy Ticker

Sarah725
by Gold Member on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:08 PM

(I am a medical laboratory technition, so I test people for this)

40 is very low, sounds like you have a good metabolism!  Were you feeling sick or shaky after that?  You wont have any problem with gestational diabetes that's for sure!  Maybe you would feel the best eating a lot of small meals through out the day with that metabolism for the baby.

On average your glucose should be anywere from 70-100 at any given time for someone without diabetes.

Mama2Noah07
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I'm sorry, I don't have any advice about the glucose. Best of luck, though.

I just wanted to comment on what you put in your post title. "Please help im young and unknowledgeable"

That makes me a little sad. Just because you are young, does not mean you can't have knowledge about everything that's going on regarding your pregnancy and baby. I was a young mom. I got pregnant with my son when I was 18, had him at 19, and I just had our second baby a few weeks ago and I turn 21 this week. I spent every minute I could reading about EVERYTHING pregnancy and baby-related. I refused to fall into the stereotype that people make of young mothers not knowing what they are doing. I ended up becoming really into car seat safety. I joined online groups and learned a ton about how to properly put my son in his car seat. So at 19 I was the one who had my baby 100% safe, and my 30-something "perfect" SIL with her beautiful car and house had her 2 year old in a booster, and before that couldn't manage to get the straps anywhere near snug or the chest clip where it needed to be. My point is, just because someone is the "right" age to have a baby, does not mean they know everything. It's up to you. Just don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions. That's what he's there for......... when you found out your glucose was at 40, asking your docto what that meant and what you should be doing would have been your best bet.

Anyway..... I'll stop rambling now. Best of luck with your pregnancy.

toddler boybaby girlarmy*Christine* SAHM and proud wife

*Noah* 12-13-07    *Hayden* 8-20-09 *Kevin* The best husband and daddy!

MillsGirl
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:24 PM

I happen to be one of the few women who has Hypoglycemia in pregnancy. Your body is supposed to have a natural defense against your sugar dropping but mine seems to enjoy going below the normal limits. Drink lots of water, eat protein and some carbs (like a PB&J), it usually helps bring it up and make you feel better. Small meals every two hours also helps keep you normal.  Talk to your doctor and see what they think you should do. Mine suggested this website: http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/#treatment

I hope it was a fluke. Sometimes tests are wrong. Good luck hun!

stars_silly
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:44 PM
by saying i am young and unknowledgeable i meant on that subject. i am VERY knowledgable when it comes to pregnancy and also how to properly discipline children. And to another mom i am hypoglicemic. But my dr. told me he didnt know why it was so low but said hypoglicemic just means you have to eat more recent.
Schleetle
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Ohh Okay... I am not knowledgeable at all about this either (obviously). I didn't have the test last time (if I did I was already too sick to know what was going on) because I went into the hospital the week before I was going to get it. My next one is coming up this week. I guess if your doctor isn't too concerned I would just continue to eat healthy, and eat a little more.

Pregnancy Ticker

sarahmward
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 2:22 PM

I always have had low glucose test scores, I have been hypoclycimic (sp) since I was really little, just eat more often.  Things that have natural sugars like bananas and peanut butter.

Mom2Jack04
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:06 PM

40 is very low.....as in could go into a coma low!!

I'm a type 2 diabetic and that doesn't mean I just have high blood sugars if I eat high carb foods, but that I can have lows from not eating enough carbs as well. 

I've passed out with a reading of 48....and it came on fast, I started feeling the cold sweats, repeated myself, then couldn't get a single word out and blacked out on the kitchen floor. 

What I would do is go to any drug store or pharmacy and purchase glucose, they have tablets or even gel and keep them with you ALWAYS.  I, personally, haven't had the gel, but the tablets are tasty, lol it tastes like they squished a pixie stix into a chewable tablet. 

Keep something with you at all times and when you feel hungry where you get the shakes, wring your hands (one of my first symptoms), cold sweats, dizzy, can't talk or you get confused EAT a couple of tablets or take the gel....it's fast acting sugar, and once you get that in you eat something more long lasting like a sandwich or fruit. 

Ashley7805
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 10:30 PM

are you sure it was 40? thats super low...  maybe you have hypoglycemia, what did your dr say? 

EthanMMomma
by on Sep. 8, 2009 at 7:35 PM

Yeah positive it was 40?  I am in a Patient Care class and we did our own glucose testing on ourselves and the teacher must have put the wrong strips with the meter b/c my reading read 40 and my teacher was like "Oh no those strips cant be the right ones, b/c if you were really at a 40 you wouldn't be able to be sitting here talking normally to me right now!" So needless to say she got the right strips out and I was back up to a 85 or s/t like that which is "normal". 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)