Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ever been told your babys belly is measuring big? High blood sugar question too.

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM
  • 4 Replies

Ok so awhile ago I did the 1 hr glucose test and I failed it. Then I did the 3 hr test and I passed. Well last night I make a trip out to the hospital b/c I start having the sharp horrible pains in my tummy that's all the way up in my chest right along w/ nausea. A week ago I was told I had preeclampsia so I was a little worried and wanted to make sure I hadn't got worse. Anyway so that part is actually fine but whats not fine is I had sugar in my urine. This is like 6 hrs after I ate last too. So then she checks my blood sugar level. It was 247. She was like Whoa. So I don't know what is going on here thankfully I see my new drs office tomorrow. Anyhow it got me thinking about those ultrasounds. At 31 weeks while giving me and ultrasound the lady told me that my baby's belly was measuring 34 weeks, but the head was 31 weeks. Last week at an ultrasound a different lady once again mentioned my baby's belly was large. But when I asked about it they said well it can happen and didn't seem to concerned with it. But now I'm wondering if maybe this has something to do with my blood sugar being so high? What yall think.

by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
KatieRaugh
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 1:43 PM

I had something similar happen with my last pregnancy--- I failed my one hour but past my three hour also---I started measuring 4 weeks ahead of schedule so I kept having ultrasounds once a month to track the babies growth. The difference between you and I is that my babies head was measuring one to two weeks ahead of the belly--- I am sure everything is fine but you should be aware that moms with blood sugar issues tend to have large babies. I hope everything works out for you and if you are really concerned talk to your doctor tomorrow.

Mom2Jack04
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM

247 is very high....and if your body has been experiencing high blood sugar for prolonged periods of time then YES that can be a cause for the baby measuring large.  Those who are diabetics (while pregnant and not) and those who develop GD should be 120 or less 2 hours after meals and less than 100 fasting (reading first thing in the morning)!

I'm a type 2 diabetic.  To get to 247 I'd have to go carb crazy.....chinese or too much pasta...I pretty much stear clear of that stuff for the most part.  Feel free to PM me if you have any High Blood Sugar/Diabetes related questions.  I've had diabetes for the last 7 years, that I know of....

Mamagirlz
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 6:11 PM
ReginaStar
by on Sep. 9, 2009 at 12:56 PM

I went to the doc yesterday and this time I didn't have sugar in my urine so they said nothing else about it. It's all very weird. Now their back concerned about the protein in my urine so I'm having to do another 24 hr urine collect.

The baby isn't really large though she just has a large belly. They measured her to weigh about 5.5 yesterday and I'm suppose to be 34.2 weeks. Which she looks just like my other son and he has a small head so I'm sure her head is just small b/c of her genetics. Her dad has a small head too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)