Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

headache remedies during pregnancy? piog

Posted by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM
  • 7 Replies

I woke up with a killer migraine this morning and i tried to go back to bed to sleep it off but no luck. I know I can take tylenol, but for me that would do as much good as eating a piece of candy. none whatsoever.

So what can I do? I always used to take excedrine migraine, and that worked beautifully, but I can't take it because it has aspirin. Any ideas? home remedies? anything?

pregnancy due date
CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
doulala
by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I am sorry~ but I can't get past your avatar.   That is THE cutest pic, ever.  !   :-D

Pregnancy headaches are common, often caused by lack of rest/sleep, nutrients, and especially water,  or high blood pressure.    But the hormones themselves can be the culprit, no way to rid yourself of them...

Try to drink a LOT of water and get something to eat.   Could you lay down and sleep a bit??

Headaches

Resulting from hormonal changes or stress, headaches can be familiar during pregnancy.

Suggestions:

• Get plenty of rest
  • Exercise regularly
  • Excessive caffeine can cause headaches, as can caffeine withdrawal. If you have been totally avoiding caffeine, a cola or cup of caffeinated tea may help
  • Try relaxation exercises
  • Soak a washcloth in cold water containing a few drops of essential oil of lavender. Apply to forehead and rest in darkened room
  • Massaging the neck and spine may help

• We have a secret in our culture, and it's not that birth is painful. It's that women are strong.                                                                      ~Harm
    • Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.                                                                       ~Einstein
    • To know the way ahead, ask those coming back.  ~Chinese proverb

Cisri1974
    by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:19 PM

I suffer from migraines myself.  I have luckily only had one during this pregnancy, but boy was it a whopper.  I was at work, so thankfully I had people around who knew what to do.

There is a pressure point in your hand (the web of your hand between thumb and forefinger) that when pressed and held for about a minute starts to relieve the pain.  It sometimes has to be repeated, and it really hurts!  But man did I feel so much better afterwards!

The other thing I do since I've had migraines for a long time is see my chiropractor regularly.  He keeps me in alignment, which appears to be one of my big triggers for migraines.  As long as I keep up with the appointments I am fine.  About six months after not seeing him, they come back.  Might be worth a shot for you.

doulala
    by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:23 PM

Quoting Cisri1974:

There is a pressure point in your hand (the web of your hand between thumb and forefinger) that when pressed and held for about a minute starts to relieve the pain.  It sometimes has to be repeated, and it really hurts!  But man did I feel so much better afterwards!

Good for labor, too:

Hoku - This point can be found on the top of your hand in the webbing between your thumb and index finger. Press on an angle underneath the bone that connects with the index finger. To stimulate contractions, rub the point. This point can be used for pain relief with steady pressure during contractions.

Faith, Acceptance, Surrender ~Unknown

Fear can be overcome only by Faith. ~Dr. Grantly Dick-Read

Rain, after all is only rain; it is not bad weather. So also, pain is only pain; unless we resist it, then it becomes torment.   ~I Ching

If I don't know my options, I don't have any.  ~Diana Korte

fallenangel8508
    by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:24 PM

My dr told me to take tylenol & benedryl. something about the 2 together will kick the migraine out. Good luck!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

navywifey2006
    by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:26 PM

my dr prescribed me indural, its also used for high blood pressure.

Lilypie Expecting a baby Ticker

mnt_2_b_mommy
    by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:32 PM

I am a migraine sufferer. I see a chiropractor which helps tremedously, but when I do get one, I take Excedrin Tension. It is just tylenol and caffeine. That and a nap with an ice pack on my neck or head does the trick.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

momof525
    by on Sep. 7, 2009 at 4:34 PM

I love, Asprin-free Excedrin for headaches. Normally I take Excedrin Migraine, but it has Asprin, so while I'm preggo I use the asprin-free. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)