Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pregnancy Pregnancy

How early can a baby survive?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM
  • 31 Replies

I was talking to DH last night and we are fairly confident I wont make it to my due date. (Dec. 24th)  My water broke 4 weeks early with my DD & this time Im already having braxton hicks and my baby is head down & really low.  im also measuring 2 weeks ahead
He asked me how early a baby can be born and survive & be normal?  I honestly dont know.

by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
golther
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM

If your baby was born tomorrow it would probably be fine just a little early. I am in almost the same boat I am due Dec 25th, and I know this one will be here on the 10th lol the Dr said so and I am also on strict orders to not play the waiting game at all if I start having any sort of contractions that I am to go straight to L&D. Oh joy!!!

heidi_val
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM

About 20 to 35 percent of babies born at 23 weeks of pregnancy survive, while about 50 to 70 percent of babies born at 24 to 25 weeks, and more than 90 percent born at 26 to 27 weeks, survive

Human fetus, age unknown

There is no sharp limit of development, age, or weight at which a fetus automatically becomes viable. [22] According to data years 2003-2005, 20 to 35 percent of babies born at 23 weeks of gestation survive, while 50 to 70 percent of babies born at 24 to 25 weeks, and more than 90 percent born at 26 to 27 weeks, survive.[23] It is rare for a baby weighing less than 500 gm to survive.[22]

When such babies are born, the main causes of perinatal mortality is that the respiratory system and the central nervous system are not completely differentiated.[22] If given expert postnatal care, some fetuses weighing less than 500 gm may survive, being are referred to as extremely low birth weight or immature infants.[22] Preterm birth is the most common cause of perinatal mortality, causing almost 30 percent of neonatal deaths.[24]

Beautifulnewmom
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM

i know several people who have dlievered at 27weeks and there babies made it they had to spend a while in the nicu but they pulled thru

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

twinmamaof3
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 3:26 PM

I elieve 23 weeks.  my twins were born at 29 weeks and are happy healthy 2 year olds

MJWard
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 5:14 PM

I was reading that a baby has a good chance after 25 weeks. The baby would prob be in the hospital for a while but at least he/she would have a chance at life!

pregnancy week by week

mnt_2_b_mommy
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 5:19 PM

We just discussed this in school today. Our maternal/newborn books say the age of viability is now considered anywhere between 20-24 weeks, with good chances of healthy babies at 23+ weeks. My sister just adopted a baby that was born at 26 weeks and other than some initial setbacks, she is now a perfectly healthy 1 year old, already caught up to the growth chart!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
Shlamoof
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 5:24 PM

Go here: http://pregnancy.about.com/cs/pregnancycalendar/l/blpregcalc.htm

It will tell you when your baby will be "viable".

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
jessicaaris
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 6:32 PM

My best friend's baby was born at 30 weeks and is still in the NICU but she is totally fine. My friend's appendix burst so they had to take the baby when that happened. I am not sure how much earlier than that, but I just don't know.

Pregnancy Ticker
mommyziegler
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 6:37 PM

at the hospital i delivered my daughter at they said they had a baby born at 24 weeks that lived and of course it was a girl. BUT babies born before 32 weeks have a harder time at surviving. Keep that baby in you as long as possible especially if it's a boy.

expecting babytoddler girlproud wife and mother!

chel1195
by on Sep. 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM

I spent most of my last pregnancy in the hospital on bedrest.  During that time there were two babies born at 21wks that survived and as far as I know are fine.  Of course there are health problems but, nothing that was too overwhelming.  My daughter was born at 31 wks and spend 5 wks in the NICU.  Long road but, she's fine now.  11lbs, 7 oz and 4 months old.  She is slightly behind, of course and thats normal.  Premature babies are graded more on their age from their due date rather than their birth date.  If you are afraid of premature labor, talk to your doctor about the steroid shots you can get for the baby's lungs.  You get two shots 24 hrs apart in the butt (they hurt and leave huge bruises BUT, it's soo worth it!) they help mature the lungs.  My daughter was born about a week after I got them and although she was on oxygen for a few weeks she was born breathing on her own and only had to be put on the ventilator after throwing a huge fit while getting her IV in.

Facing a premature birth is scary.  My son was 5 wks early and Lexi was 9.  If you need to chat, or vent or even just want some encouragment, you can send me a PM.  I just went through this and it is all fresh on my mind!  Good luck Momma!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN