Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddlers & Preschoolers Toddlers & Preschoolers

2 year old and a new baby on the way

Posted by on Dec. 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM
  • 10 Replies

my son will be 2 in feb. and my next baby is bue in feb. ( but i think he will come early my self) so i just wanted to know if anyone had any advice to help my son understand or how to get him use to a new baby in the house.

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
by on Dec. 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Dec. 28, 2009 at 11:38 AM

Mine are 22 months apart and I got my son a doll and just talked about the baby all the time and brought him around other babies. He was a bit jealous at first but after 3-4 days things were back to normal.

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb3f.lilypie.com/oT80m5.png[/img][/url]

[url=http://lilypie.com][img]http://lb2f.lilypie.com/l5OJm5.png[/img][/url]

stephs0105
by on Dec. 28, 2009 at 12:14 PM

my kids are 14 months apart when we first brought our daughter home he was very jealous he was use to having all my attention but after awhile he was ok when she would cry he would give her a bottle and hes still the same way their pretty close anytime he hears her cry he comes running to see whats wrong

kyru2
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 8:24 AM

My daughter was 2 1/2 when my twins were born. She was really excited from the start. We included her in everything. She helped pick out clothes and toys for them when I was pregnant. She got "big sister" gifts at the baby shower..and a special shirt and pin to wear for the shower and the birth. We made a big deal about her being the oldest, and the only girl. We just did everything we could think of the make sure she felt extra special. She has adored them from day 1. I have never...ever had a problem with jealousy. She thinks/acts like a second mommy to them. We continued it after they were born. She goes and gets diapers for me, picks out their outfits for the day..she is just wonderful with them. Now they are 10 months old, and she is thrilled that they can finally play with her. She is genuinely proud of them when they learn something new..she claps for them and tells them "good boy". Her relationship with them is the sweetest thing I have ever seen..I am so proud to be their mommy :) Congratulations and good luck with the new little one!!

YoungMomLovinIt
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 8:35 AM

My daughters are exactly 2 years and 1 month apart. when i was pregnant i told Anya that there's a baby in mommy's tummy and soon the baby will be here and you will be a big sister and just things like that. well the morning i went into labor she stayed with my MIL and she told her all morning that the baby's coming. we have to go see mommy and the baby later. your baby sister is here. when she got to the hospital she just wanted to see the baby and watch everything that was going on. when we brought Kailyn home from the hospital Anya helped me a little with her, then went through the jealous stage, and now the 2 of them play a lot. your just gonna have to tell your son whats going on and he will figure it out once the baby is here and everything will fall into place. Good Luck and Congrats.

fairymom2316
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 7:39 PM

My kids are 22months apart and I don't think my daughter understood what was going on. When our son was born, she would just look at him like, "What is this?" LOL. We try to involve her as much as we could with everything. She would "help" me change his diaper, feed him, rock him to sleep. I think she felt like she was helping me so she was happy. She wasn't jealous at all!

iluvcallalilies
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 9:20 PM

I have three girls all 2 years apart. Each time the older sister(s) adjusted really well. I read a lot of books about babies to them and taught them (they have dolls, but also when we were around other children) to be gentle and ask to hold/touch baby. At the hospital, I gave each big sis a gift (Color Wonders, new book) and bought Sister shirts off cafepress.com for photos. The main thing I work to do is make sure I give each girl one-on-one time during the day so they don't feel pushed aside by baby.

Click to join our group: Christian Celebrations

Kim24kids
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 11:47 PM

Quoting kyru2:

My daughter was 2 1/2 when my twins were born. She was really excited from the start. We included her in everything. She helped pick out clothes and toys for them when I was pregnant. She got "big sister" gifts at the baby shower..and a special shirt and pin to wear for the shower and the birth. We made a big deal about her being the oldest, and the only girl. We just did everything we could think of the make sure she felt extra special. She has adored them from day 1. I have never...ever had a problem with jealousy. She thinks/acts like a second mommy to them. We continued it after they were born. She goes and gets diapers for me, picks out their outfits for the day..she is just wonderful with them. Now they are 10 months old, and she is thrilled that they can finally play with her. She is genuinely proud of them when they learn something new..she claps for them and tells them "good boy". Her relationship with them is the sweetest thing I have ever seen..I am so proud to be their mommy :) Congratulations and good luck with the new little one!!

Yum make them feel extra special they will adjust fine=) Congrats!

countrygirlkat
by Silver Member on Dec. 29, 2009 at 11:55 PM

My sons were 16 months apart.  I knew my older one couldn't understand at all but we did get him a doll a few months before the baby was to be born so that we could tell him how to be gentle with a baby.  Then when the baby was born we would encourage him to feed his doll when I was feeding the baby and such.

Dedicated wife to Joe, loving stay-at-home mommy to Landon and Epi, and caretaker to Strawberry(horse), Buttercup(pony), Snowball(rabbit), Rio and Hunter(dogs), & Nike, Mr. Mooch, and Tinkerbell(cats).

cowgirl

lindsaymama
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 9:38 AM

My kids are 2 yrs & 4days apart. Their due dates were within 2 days of being the same. When Andrew's B-day came around all I could do was pray so he would not be mad at Lindsay for making mommy miss his B-day. I talked about her all the time so he would get used to hearing about her & show him pictures from my ultra sounds & other babies. He was a little jealous at first but he was still really good w/her.

Teresa~mommy to Drew 6 & Lindsay 4

usmcwifemom2
by on Dec. 30, 2009 at 10:08 AM

i got a i'm a big sister book for her, they are 19 months apart. so i would read that book nightly to her so she started to understand what being a big sister meant. and then we'd talk about what's in mommy's tummy, she was younger than your son is now and she was able to understand. i thought we were in trouble when i would hold one of her dolls like a baby and she would yank it out of my hand and climb in my lap! but when we brought lexi home she ran up to the carseat looked in and said ever so cutely "sister" and walked the other way and dind't think twice about it. granted that night was when emma jumped out of her crib for attention. and she also would climb in the infant seat, or the baby swing but you just have to either ignore that behavior or do what we did, "oh emma, that's a baby swing you're mommy's big girl, come help me do this over here i need a big girls help" and she'd instantly feel important. it was just me for the first 7 months having two kids, my husband deployed shortly after lexi was born. so with him in iraq and me a new mom of two! i had to now divide my attention totally in half with my oldest. and that was hard, she no longer had daddy around and now mommy was mommy and daddy and there's a new baby. so i'd let her do special things, i'd set up the stepstool in the kitchen when making dinner and let her wash dishes, i'd cut a sponge in half for her and fill the sink with water and bubbles and worried about the mess later, and i'd always make a point to say only big girls are able to do this, not babies. so she felt special. they will fight! the older one will do something that makes you go WTF!? emma at one point sat on lexi and was reading her book, she used her little baby sister as a seat!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)