Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How early did you know if your toddler was right/left handed?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM
  • 11 Replies

I am just curious...

DH and I are both right handed (even though I can write with my left if I have to).  My stepson is left handed.

When my DS started picking up crayons around 1 yr he would use his left hand sometimes, but then eventually started w/the right more and more. He is 8 yrs old and right handed.

My DD is almost 3 (in March), about 98% of the time, she uses her left hand.  It's really cute because if she picks up a crayon w/her right hand, I can say, "What are you doing?" and she will put it in her left....like she knows that's where it is suppose to go lol.

2009sig.gif picture by fredregillc

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrsmoore02
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:49 AM

DD is 2 1/2 and she uses her left hand 100% of the time when coloring.  She always has.  DS is 6 and used his right hand 100% of the time and he's right handed.  I would be surprised if DD turned out to be right handed.

3girlsihave
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:49 AM

We still don't know because she eats with both hands and write with both hands.

meagansmommy07
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:59 AM

My daughter uses her left hand to color almost all the time and her right hand to eat..so we still don't know

Kara

Mommy to Meagan Marie

Join us on

The Preschool Group
Preschool Group Mod

moodywife
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:01 AM

my 2 yr old daughter is left handed she has been that way since about 1 yr and my son is right handed lets see what the baby is lol

lesbians*Think of what you have instead of what you want*

4time-mom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:50 AM

Between 2-3 they started showing preference for one over the other. Oldest we knew shortly after she turned 2, youngest is 3 months from turning 3 and we're pretty sure what he'll be (finally, he's been using both consistently til recently), and the middle 2 were in the middle.

LadyJag
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:10 AM

I didn't think that "handedness" was determined in children until age 4-5...until then I thought they used both hands for most tasks.

Nevertheless, my 3-year-old's ballet instructor thinks my DD might be a lefty, because DD finds it easier to "sashe" (sp) to the left than to the right. I'm not so sure, though, because I use my right hand for most things, but prefer to kick a ball with my left foot, and have always used my left eye to take aim (guns, crossbows, etc.)

So I think that unless there is a really strong tendency one way or another early on, you can pretty much encourage kids to use their right hand when they first start learning to hold a crayon or fork. But that's just my theory.

jchelle309
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:15 AM

My 4 year old has always used her left hand for everyhting except eating, but i think that is because she is a mams girl and I am right handed so i eat right handed. My 5 year old is the opposite, everything is right handed except eating and she does that lefty because daddy is a lefty and she is a BIG daddy's girl!

buchmanbabe
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:36 AM

My son is 2 1/2 and he writes and colors only with his right hand but will eat with either one.  If I put his fork on the right he uses his right if it is on the left he uses his left but i still use both hands for eating and can switch back and forth.  I am pretty sure though that he will end up being right handed like all of his family.

sandbuster
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 7:12 AM

My son turned three in October and still uses both. My mom noticed that he eats easier left handed so now i'm encourging that.  

krystlewv
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:32 AM

I knew by 3 at least. Shane has always used his right hand. His daddy is a lefty, I am a righty and his brother is a righty, so we didnt know what was going to happen. It was clear pretty early though. 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)