Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I know it's early but....

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:10 AM
  • 20 Replies

What do you do for Valentines Day? Is it just another day or is it celebrated in your house? Do you get your kid a small gift or some candy? Tell me your plans/ideas for Valentines Day!!

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ncmommyof3
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:14 AM

We always get the kids a small stuffed animal and some candy. Sometimes they get a cheap movie or something like that. We cook a nice meal or go out to eat.  Me and my fiance usually go to the beach the weekend of Valentine's day, been going to the same hotel since my highschool prom lol but the past few years we've taken the kids with us so we may do that again also 

Visit my blogs daily! http://motheringthree.today.com/  and http://motheringmadesimple.today.com/ 

It's not just a physical attraction,I love him for every single thing he is. Every word he says, every step he takes.This will never die.

seaniesmommie87
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 9:27 AM

We usually go out to dinner since that is our anniversary. As far as the kids go we give them valentines and some candy. This yr for there school things i might make cake pops in the shape of hearts. Idk tho.

krystlewv
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I try to make it special for my kids. I dont over-do it though because daycare has a tendency to make a big deal out of everything. Usually we make valentine cookies and I get them a card. Then I call MIL and DH takes me out for our part! :-) 

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
iluvcallalilies
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:37 AM
  • I wrap 14 books about Love and/or Valentine's Day (books like "Guess How Much I love You") in red paper (cheap in Target's $1 spot)... then we open one and read it every day from Feb. 1 - 14. I do the same for Christmas and Easter - books about the holidays
  • We also make cards for the grandparents - I buy blank puzzles and have the girls stamp them with their handprints. Then we mail ONE PIECE every day for 9 or 12 days (depends on whether I buy a 9 or 12 piece puzzle) with a new homemade card every day.
  • Some years we've hosted a grandparent brunch with special foods made by the girls just for them - varies depending on calendar/availability.
  • I bought hollow hearts (like Easter Eggs) at Target one year and we have a heart hunt every year (just like E. Egg hunt w/treats in them).
  • The girls wear red/heart/pink outfits.
  • We make heart shaped pancakes with strawberry syrup and have a special breakfast.
  • Every year we give the girls Valentine's from mom and dad mailed from a town with a special Valentine Postmark. See list here; http://www.theromantic.com/stories/valentines/valentines1.htm
  • AND DH and I give the girls a Valentine gift (like SMALL box of chocolates, helium balloon, and a small gifts in a little Valentine Purse (similar to a stocking or Easter Basket but smaller... just dress up jewelry, stickers, small art supplies)

Join us on

The Toddler & Preschool Group

kyru2
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM

We semi-celebrate the holiday. We get a small gift for the kids..& candy for our daugher. My daughter and I will probably make some heart shaped cookies this year..her new favorite thing is making cookies :) My husband and I don't usually exchange gifts, but we may go out to dinner or something. My kids are still so young, but when they are a bit older we will get more into it..with crafts ect.

isra1986
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:09 PM

It's just another day for us. 2 years ago though, I was talking to my belly, telling ms. Anisa "Come on out! Where are you? It's your due date!"
She didn't decide to come until the 23rd, lol!

farrah
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 12:14 PM

it has really varied each year. I always make/get something for my son. Typically its a new stuffed animal, a valentines book or two and a few treats. This year I am thinking of making homemade chunky crayons in the shape of hearts, homemade bath crayons, and a few other things.

Me and my husband go out to dinner at some point to celebrate the holiday but never actually on Valentines Day b/c its so crowded!

justanotherjen
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:07 PM

We don't celebrate it.  Sometimes I buy candy when I find it cheap but usually they get it after Valentine's since most of it goes on sale on the 14th or after.

One year we happened to be at Target on the 14th and I picked up those heart shaped things of chocolates for $2 each (the good kind that are usually $5-$10).  I bought 1 for each kid plus extras for me, lol.  It had been a long time since I had those chocolates.  My kids, though, didn't get their chocolate until a few days later because they didn't behave once we got home.

AngelCodysMom
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:19 PM

We buy DD a stuffed animal and DS a couple little cars. I make them chocolate chip pancakes that morning in the shape of hearts. DH and I wait until the 16th or 17th to go to bed. My birthday is the 16th so we do dinner then one to celebrate both of them together and 2 because going on the 14th is crazy because everywhere is so busy.

boy n girlMommy to Angel Skye & Cody Alexander. Step Mommy to Alexis Roseblowing bubbles

cristiak
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Valentine's Day is my partner's birthday so I try to make it special for him. The first one together I made calendar months for every month we had been living togther and attached Hershey kisses to each day. The scond year I was doing some little thing each day of the month and on Valentine's day I made him a homemade red velvet cake in the shape of a heart. Last year I had help from his mom and collected pictures of his favorite family members which I then printed off the computer and put up all over the house. For his son, who is a teen, I get a candy heart box. This year I will have my grandson with me for the first time. He is autistic but shows a lot of interest in books. I really liked the book idea I read about above. I think I will do that  for him. For my other grandchildren, who are far away, I am thinking of sending them a book and a recording of me reading it to them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)