Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid Stuff. Chores? Dicipline?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

What do your children do for chores? We're thinking about setting up "zones" that they have to be responsible for and switch them at the beginning of every month between the kids. What do you do when your kids don't finish their chores?

What do you do when:

They ignore you?

Yell, fight or hit each other?

Trash their rooms after you have cleaned it?

Throw a fit?

When you have to keep repeating yourself to them?

Thanks for any and all help. We have been slacking so bad w/ the kiddo's and it's gotten out of control!

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. ~Proverbs 16:9

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 1:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thebailiffs
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Our son is responsible for picking up this toys.  He helps with the dishwasher and also sometimes helps me cook.

But in the AM before we leave the house he is responsible for turning all of the lights off.  I usually have my hands full and so this is a big help to me.  I sometimes leave the lights so he has "work" to do.

As he gets a little older I will have him do more.

Mom71307
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM

My daughter is just 2 1/2 but she is responsible for cleaning up her toys each day. 

Quoting jaschem:

What do your children do for chores? We're thinking about setting up "zones" that they have to be responsible for and switch them at the beginning of every month between the kids. What do you do when your kids don't finish their chores? Whatever is left out goes on top of the entertainment center for a day

What do you do when:

They ignore you? We make sure she is looking at us when we direct her to do something so this is not common... she gets a spanking if she directly disobeys and looses her toys if that is why she disobeyed.

Yell, fight or hit each other? Her brother is only 3 months so there is not much fighting... I imagine we will try timeouts first to see if that works.  If it is over a toy, that toy will go up.

Trash their rooms after you have cleaned it? I don't clean her room, that is her responsibility

Throw a fit? She can contain herself immediately OR have timeout until she stops.  Then she must complete what we asked her to do.

When you have to keep repeating yourself to them? I say it once, she complies OR receives a spanking or other relevant discipline such as loosing a priviledge or toy.

Thanks for any and all help. We have been slacking so bad w/ the kiddo's and it's gotten out of control!

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
lianashell
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:35 PM

I have three kids and have different chores to fit their ages. My youngest is 3, he has been picking up his room since he was two(with a little help). He now picks it up himself and has to go through the house to find any toys that he has taken from his room and left throughout the house. He also has to pick up his own clothers and put them in the laundry, and any garbage that he throws on the floor he has to pick up and throw away. My daughter has these same chores. She will be six this month. She also helps me in the kitchen when I am baking but I don't call that a chore. She should have more at her age but she has a disability and therefore it is had to let her do some things on her own. My oldest is going to be nine in may and he has a bit more responsibilities,. He has to feed the dogs in the morning and in the evening. He takes out the trash and has to pick up the yard. He only has to pick up the yard when it is nice out, I hate being in the cold so would never make him have to go out there and work. He also has to clean his room. I think that giving kids chores is a good thing but has to be right for their age and mentality. Plus you can make it fun. It also makes them feel important and like they have a place in the house. My oldest went and spent the night at his grandparents house and before he left he asked me, " mom who is going to feed the dogs when I am gone?" I told him that I would take of it and not to worry. It was nice that he felt responsible for something.

Mysticalof4
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:37 PM

You are asking the same type of questions that I have been wondering for a ll time!!  As far as chores,  all I want them to do is pick up their toys because I will trip over them and then the toys go bye bye!!

I am losing my patience3 with the ignore what Mlommy says too!!  This one needs to stop and repeating everything all the time-- I think is just part of growing up with our kids because my mom went through the same thing with me and my brothers.

If you get any good answers pass them my way will ya??!!

Theresa -- Mom of 4family in the van

lianashell
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Quoting jaschem:

What do your children do for chores? We're thinking about setting up "zones" that they have to be responsible for and switch them at the beginning of every month between the kids. What do you do when your kids don't finish their chores?

What do you do when:

They ignore you?  I get down on their level so they know that they need to listen and respond and if they don't then they have to talk it out with me, a time out on this one seems silly, it would be like rewarding them.

Yell, fight or hit each other? There is absolutely no hitting in my house, and no negative words toward eachother and that includes tone of voice. If my kids fight at all they have to stand in a corner. Even if they were defending themselves. I want them to learn to stand up for themselves but in a civil manner.

Trash their rooms after you have cleaned it? They would have to pick it up. But because they have to clean it in the first place they would rarely do this cause it is their hard work that they are trashing.

Throw a fit? Depends on the fit, and where we are. If we are out then we find a spot to sit and think about why they are having a fit, yes it takes time but it works. If we are home then I ignore them until they have calmed down. when they are calm and want to talk about what happened then we talk it out.

When you have to keep repeating yourself to them? I don't if I have to say it more then once then I get up on the second chance and make them do what I asked. eventually you wont have to repeat yourself cause they know that when you say something you mean it.

If you are consistent then they will be consistent. I am not saying that I always do this I have my days when I slack but for the most part this is how thigs work. It takes a good two to three weeks to get back on track, you just have to be firm and consistent through those weeks.

Luvmybooskies
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 2:50 PM

Quoting jaschem:

What do your children do for chores? She's only 2 1/2 so as of now she just has to pick up her toys when she is done using them. In the future we will use chore charts and stickers.

What do you do when

They ignore you?  I firmly say, Brooke! Get down to her eye level and tell her to look at me.

Yell, fight or hit each other? I tell her it's not okay to do whatever it was she was doing. I make her apologize.

Trash their rooms after you have cleaned it? I give her many chance to clean her mess up, I even help her. If she refuses I clean it up and take the toy away for a day and tell her that she is losing it because she didn't clean.

Throw a fit? I try my best to ignore it, when she gets absurd I send her to her room and tell her to comeback when she is done. When she comes back I thank her for calming down.

When you have to keep repeating yourself to them? Send her to her room and tell her that she's going there for not listening.

krystlewv
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 3:03 PM

What do you do when:

They ignore you? My kids dont ignore me or whatever it is they are involved with ENDS then and there.

Yell, fight or hit each other? 10 years between them so there isnt a lot of hitting. If they do, I just ask them not too. It doesnt happen often.

Trash their rooms after you have cleaned it? I dont clean the older kids rooms. If I do go in and its a mess I rake everything onto the bed , dresser drawers and closets included. Then they have to clean it up with no tv, no cell phone and no friends over till its done. The little one I try to make him pick up every night before he goes to bed,. Its a good bedtime routine.

Throw a fit? Thats a time out. No other options.

When you have to keep repeating yourself to them? I say it once, the second time I raise my voice. Thats all it takes. If I have to ask over and over then they lose whatever it is they are not doing or whatevers most important.

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers
eTeEtiS
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 4:03 PM

Quoting jaschem:

*My son is only crawling so he doesn't have chores yet.  My daughter is responsible for her toys and when she is done eating she has to put her plate in the sink and she is responsible for picking up any trash and putting it in the trash...(mostly from cooking dinner).  She also separates pants from shirts in her and bubbys laundry...(that is by choice though)  As far as not finishing chores..I don't have that problem with my daughter...my SS loses video game time for the day.

What do you do when:

They ignore you? *I pretty much do the same as everyone else...getting to their level.  Speak calmly.  

Yell, fight or hit each other? *My kids haven't really gotten into the fighting yet.  My son is too laid back to fight.

Trash their rooms after you have cleaned it? *Don't have this problem either, I feel my DD has a form of OCD...she is fairly neat.

Throw a fit? *I don't even try to calm any kid, its straight to bed until they calm down.  Then they get up when mommy comes back and asks them if they are done. (Which they usually are...haha)

When you have to keep repeating yourself to them? *We repeat very little...  We have had there hearing checked...haha.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)