Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help my daughter is driving me NUTS!!!

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

Ok here goes... I love my daughter to death! She is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. I work 40 hrs a week out of the home and my hubby is a stay at home dad. From what he has told me she will play in her room and roam around the house and the whole works. But when I'm home it's a whole other story. She hangs on me all day/night she follows me around the house when I am tryin to do the dishes she will stand next to the sink and pull on my leg to get me to play with her. We have play time every night since I am gone all day but even on my days off she is right on top of me. I need some space or room to move at least. I don't mind that she follows me around but when I say "on top of me" i really mean it she sits on my lap climbs on me and pulls me around the house (or tries to). I am going nuts! I feel bad when I tell her to get down or to go play but I need some room to move too. Any Ideas??

by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KylesMom409
by on Jan. 3, 2010 at 10:53 PM

That sounds very familiar!  But my son does all that with my husband more than he does it with me.  I, like you, work 40 hours a week outside the home but my husband works 60, sometimes even 80 hours a week so that's why I see Kyle doing that more with him since he sees me more.  DH gets annoyed too because when he gets home, obviously he misses Kyle when he's at work but he wants to unwind and get comfortable before settling in to play with and spend time with Kyle.  Kyle will be 3 in April so he obviously doesn't understand that that's what Daddy needs to do first before spending time with him but in order for DH to spend uninterrupted time with him, he has to unwind first.  I would have a little talk with your daughter and just tell her that mommy needs some time to herself when she gets home first, but then tell her once you have unwound and gotten some things done that you will be ready to play and spend time with her.  Tell her you understand why she wants to do nothing but spend time with you when you come home because she misses you and let her know you miss her too and that once you are done getting settled, you will be all hers.  I hope this helps but I do know where you are coming from.

countrygirlkat
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 12:08 AM

Maybe you could try incorporating her into what you are doing.  Give her a chair to stand on next to you while you are doing the dishes, etc.  Maybe then just being next to you will be enough.

Dedicated wife to Joe, loving stay-at-home mommy to Landon and Epi, and caretaker to Strawberry(horse), Buttercup(pony), Snowball(rabbit), Rio and Hunter(dogs), & Nike, Mr. Mooch, and Tinkerbell(cats).

cowgirl

tmelgar
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 1:31 AM

I am a SAHM and I get so overwhelmed too. My baby girl is almost 3 and she hangs off of me like I was a jungle gym sometimes. when I need a break, I go and sit in the bathroom. Even for a few minutes just to collect myself b/ I know she just wants my attention.

If you have to do the dishes, have her help you bring you dishes or put them in the washer.

When I vaccuum, my daughter wants to help, so I let her do it too. Doesn't take too long before it is mommy's turn again! ha ha

we do , my turn first, then your turn. that works for us right now.....you can even have "your room time" or have her "hide and seek" for a toy

good luck!

son_and_moon
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:22 AM

My SD used to do the same thing. I did the stool next to the sink thing. She would "help me" do dishes... or as she called it, "making soapy eggs". She got a kick out of making bubbles and cleaning the food off of the plates (soapy eggs, eww). She would occassionally mix in some coffee grounds and before long, she was in her own world again. I agree with the other gals about involving her with your winding down activities.

Don't you feel like slipping into a hot tub when you get home? Invite your little one too. Get a couple fancy glasses, some candles (up out of the way) and you and her slip into a hot bubble bath after a long day. It will help you both unwind and give you two some special time together. It also gives dad a break after his long day and he doesn't have to spend another 30 minutes on her bath because it's already done!

Maybe you can even get matching robes too.

queeniamissy
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 9:26 AM

I think she's showing you that she missed you!!  My hubby works and when he comes home DD is all over him.  She won't let him do anything!  He gets so frustrated because she doesn't do it to me.  I just tell him that she misses him and wants to spend time with him.

kyru2
by on Jan. 4, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I am home with the kids all day, and my husband works 50-55 hrs a weeks..so it's him the kids are missing. When he gets home from work he immediately comes in and goes right to the kids. He knows they want to play with him right when he gets home, so thats what he does. He spends about 20-30 minutes right away, just talking to them, and giving hugs and kisses then goes and does the "unwinding" things. Like shower,change etc...then comes back for round 2. When they first see him after getting home, they are way to young to understand that he needs to unwind 1st, so he plays 1st and takes care of himself later. As for your days off, I know you can't do anything with an extra person hanging off of you. Like others say, I would just include her in everything your doing. If your doing dishes, maybe give her a dry rag, and some plastic cups and spoons and she can sit on the floor and do her dishes...let her fold laundry etc. Tell her if she wants to help mommy, then she can't be sitting/hanging on mommy or neither of you can do anything. Then make sure you have a lot of story time and things like that, where she can just sit on your lap. Sounds like your blessed with a loving little girl, who adores her mommmy :)

MartiniReenie
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM

sun and moon - the bath thing is SUCH a CUTE idea!!! love it!

Yeah, getting her to "help" is what I would have suggested too. So many helpful mommies here!!! :)

Monkeys_mom08
by on Jan. 5, 2010 at 8:16 PM

Thanks for all the ideas ladies i appreciate it going to have to try it out ... thanks again

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)