Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this really appropriate at this age??

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:46 AM
  • 25 Replies

Ok, My DD's school had Dr. MLK week this last week (as I'm sure everyone did). My DD (who just turned 5) got in the car one day and told me all about how someone shot him in the head cause they didn't like what he had to say. Also, I have found it REALLY disturbing how her teachers joke with her and the other children. Like telling them that they are going to "duct tape their mouths shut". One of my friends (another mom from that school) said that they told her DD (who they found out that day had strep throat and had a fever ALL day) "Well maybe if you stop talking your throat wouldn't hurt."(they told her that when she told them she didn't feel good and that her throat hurt--this is also a child that is known to get strep often). I love her teachers and I know that they are just joking. But these are 4 & 5 yo kids that don't understand that! And IDK if telling them things like these are really "age appropriate".

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
akgraff
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 7:58 AM

those teachers are being completely innapportiate and emotionally damaging. THey are not good teachers at all, i'm sorry, but i'd talk to the lead director of the school about it. You can't let your child hear that kind of stuff becuase what your child doesn't understand will make it worse, expecially the shooting in the head thing. At that age they cannot comprehend that extent of good vs. evil. Also the teachers are putting down the kids and showing them its okay to talk back. You and some other parents need to address this situation soon. You want your daughter and every one else's child to grow up feeling confident and secure and respecting, and with these teachers "joking" like that to a bunch of little one's really rubs me the wrong way. I was a teacher for 2 years (until i had dd) and anyone i worked with that acted that way either got 2 chances or they were let go and replaced.

TJKUHN76
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:12 AM

It is wrong to speak to a child like that... and to tell them he was shot in the head because someone didn't like what he had to say... wow.  They wonder why things are the way they are.   Seriously... he was shot/killed would of been enough information.   Then when it comes to the strep throat thing, labeling the kid as one that is always sick isn't going to do much for there self esteem, granted its strep throat... but still.   No one likes to be labeled.  So agree with the other reply inappropriate.

Theresa

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:12 AM

No - not appropriate at all. 

Is this a daycare center or elementary school?

melisawoosley
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:15 AM

It is "illegal" to talk to a child that way. They can lose their jobs for that. I'm sure the school has cameras. Find it out.

MommyToEthan
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:21 AM

i would have a HUGE problem if a teacher talked to my son that way.

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

Shy_Dia
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 8:26 AM

i'm gonna disagree with the red; if the child is raised with examples like that, they will know good vs evil for something simple like that. DS is 4, sees all types of video games, including war/combat type games (COD, Left 4 Dead, Halo, etc) and he knows that shooting someone- no matter where- is evil. thats just HIS upbringing though. I totally understand that most parents do not allow this (kids this age being exposed to violence like this).

but I agree with everything else; they arent really good teachers. Who jokes with someone about any of these things? If my adult friend's throat hurt, i might have said it was cuz she talked too much, but i'd also offer ways for her to fix it-- in this case, i would've taken her to the nurse.

totally agree that the parents should meet and first speak with the teachers; and if that doesnt work, continue to go up the educational ladder (principal, school board, etc).

Quoting akgraff:

those teachers are being completely innapportiate and emotionally damaging. THey are not good teachers at all, i'm sorry, but i'd talk to the lead director of the school about it. You can't let your child hear that kind of stuff becuase what your child doesn't understand will make it worse, expecially the shooting in the head thing. At that age they cannot comprehend that extent of good vs. evil. Also the teachers are putting down the kids and showing them its okay to talk back. You and some other parents need to address this situation soon. You want your daughter and every one else's child to grow up feeling confident and secure and respecting, and with these teachers "joking" like that to a bunch of little one's really rubs me the wrong way. I was a teacher for 2 years (until i had dd) and anyone i worked with that acted that way either got 2 chances or they were let go and replaced.

wearing crown                  backpack
                                         Boo-Boo 
                                      10/15/2005
21 year old single mom of a 4 year old boy. Not sure exactly what kind of mom I am, but I get a chance to better myself everyday. My biggest goal for 2010 is to break out of my shell.

~~~ I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:02 AM

I would be VERY upset! I would get the other parents together and go above her/their head and get something done about it.They are being completely inappropriate! 

Let us know how it turns out.

Kris_PBG
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:06 AM

Wow - those video games distub me - can't imagine letting my 5 year old watch them!

Quoting Shy_Dia:

i'm gonna disagree with the red; if the child is raised with examples like that, they will know good vs evil for something simple like that. DS is 4, sees all types of video games, including war/combat type games (COD, Left 4 Dead, Halo, etc) and he knows that shooting someone- no matter where- is evil. thats just HIS upbringing though. I totally understand that most parents do not allow this (kids this age being exposed to violence like this).

but I agree with everything else; they arent really good teachers. Who jokes with someone about any of these things? If my adult friend's throat hurt, i might have said it was cuz she talked too much, but i'd also offer ways for her to fix it-- in this case, i would've taken her to the nurse.

totally agree that the parents should meet and first speak with the teachers; and if that doesnt work, continue to go up the educational ladder (principal, school board, etc).

Quoting akgraff:

Manda1976
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:57 AM

The details of how he was killed is WAY too much. At that age I don't think his death should be brought up at school.  That is when they can talk about the good he did.

now as a teacher (I work with 6th graders) I do joke with my kids. But they are old enough to know that I'm playing around. Plus I know which kids I can joke with and which ones I can't. At that age, that is a little much.

I'm not society's idea of beautiful......screw society.
MomofTwins07
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:06 AM

Just one more reason for me to homeschool. Thanks!

I would pull my kids out so fast. I know that isn't an option for a lot of moms, but that is me. I would go straight to the school board. There is no reason for anyone to speak to your children this way.

~Emily~
Wife to Trey
Mommy to Silas & Abigail

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)