Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Do Your Kids Know about MLK?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:03 AM
  • 2 Replies

Is this just a 'free day' for your kids? Or do they understand the reason for the holiday? How do you describe who MLK was and what he did? Do you explain that he was killed or is that too harsh for a pre-schooler?

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 10:32 AM

They understand he was assassinated.They did a week long school age appropriate discussion in school last week. We don't do anything special .But we do teach them that there are still evil people in this world that will not like you just because of your color/race and they are just ignorant. But Ya that's about it.

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM

That sounds appropriate. I try to simplify everything for DS right now. For example, when we talk about Darfur (I have been active in campaigning for peace there since he was about 2), I tell him that there are bad people who are doing mean things and making other people really sad. Even at age 2, he would see me sending emails and messages about Darfur and say, "Are you trying to help the sad people?"

Quoting Kim24kids:

They understand he was assassinated.They did a week long school age appropriate discussion in school last week. We don't do anything special .But we do teach them that there are still evil people in this world that will not like you just because of your color/race and they are just ignorant. But Ya that's about it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)