Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Travel Tips for a recently Potty Trained (#1) Toddler

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM
  • 8 Replies

Hi--My daughter is VERY recently potty-trained (#1), not #2 but I usually can tell just prior to her going #2 that she's going to make #2 so not too concerned with that...we are getting ready to travel for a week and a half...I know I should probably put her in a pull-up for take-off (on the plane) and long car rides even though I feel that putting on a pull-up is like going backwards in the potty-training process....any tips/advice for traveling with a recently potty trained toddler?

Mom to Anna, age 2 1/2, due with baby #2 June 24, 2010.
VP, Webmaster - Carefree Casuals
Infant, Baby & Toddler Clothing
Youth, Boys & Girls Clothing

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
thebailiffs
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:44 PM

We went to Montreal Canada when our son was first potty training.  For us it was just another test to see how far along he was.  I am happy to say, we did not have any accidents at all the whole time we were traveling. We used pull ups.

He did go in his pull ups except for at night.  We just told him he needed to use the potty because he was a big boy now.

I would not be to worried about it if you have to use pull ups part of the day, but I would use underwear as much as you can.

Good luck.

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:14 PM

Quoting thebailiffs:

We went to Montreal Canada when our son was first potty training.  For us it was just another test to see how far along he was.  I am happy to say, we did not have any accidents at all the whole time we were traveling. We used pull ups.

He did go in his pull ups except for at night.  We just told him he needed to use the potty because he was a big boy now.

I would not be to worried about it if you have to use pull ups part of the day, but I would use underwear as much as you can.

Good luck.

I agree.... just explain to him that the pull ups are fpr this trip only.He is a big boy and needs to use the potty. GL

Join us on The Toddler & Preschool Group! Group Mod

Join us onElementary School Kids - Group Mod

mybgtwins
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Try calling the pull-ups travel pants and only use them for the plane and long car ride. This is just what I have heard from other parents because the twins aren't quite there yet. 

Azita888
by Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:21 PM

I think using pull ups is like going backwards, I wouldn't use them but it's up to you.  When my dd first was potty trained I was scared to go out to stores and long trips in the car.  But I still used underwear and took her to go before we left and found the bathroom right after we got to our distanation, she did good no accidents.

baby growth

baby
tuba_chick
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:31 PM

my son is about 99% potty trained. For long trips i make sure not to give him a lot of liquids ( only the min. until we have access to a potty). we do 2 hr car rides back and fourth to my parents house every once in a while. all i do is put a garbage bag down under him in the seat ( just in case) and I tell him I spilled something on the seat and I dont want to get his butt wet! I wont do the pull up either because I feel it is a step backwards. For stores I make sure i know where the bathroom is, so if he says potty we book it! Its funny to see the other moms look at me like oooo potty training!

mflevin
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:02 PM

Thanx everyone for the tips and advice!!

I will take pull-ups with me and use them if i get too nervous. They are so strict on airplanes nowadays with no waiting in the aisles for the bathroom...so if my daughter's gotta go and can't hold it anymore, what's a girl to do...

Mom to Anna, age 2 1/2, due with baby #2 June 24, 2010.
VP, Webmaster - Carefree Casuals
Infant, Baby & Toddler Clothing
Youth, Boys & Girls Clothing

newmommyhjm
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:35 PM

My daughter is new to the potty training world too... well she is almost 22 months and she was fully potty trained at 20 months. :-) She doesn't even sleep in diapers. woo-hooo! lol

I remind her not to tee-tee in her panties while we are out... I have a portable potty that stays in the car with us and if she says she can't hold it (*she is VERY vocal) then I'll pull over to the nearest parking lot, etc and get out her potty in the back of my SUV and let her use the potty... it has been VERY helpful when she couldn't hold it long enough to run into the restroom to use the potty.

We have never traveled by plane though... so that's new to us. I would think that as long as she goes before take off and she is occupied during take off you shouldn't have too much of a problem. As for carrides, I would suggest allotting enough time for frequent stops as little bladders cannot hold as much nor as long as we can. :-) ((HUGS)) and I wish you the best!

I'm Heather. Proud Army wife to Colt, who is currently deployed to Afghanistan. Loving Mommy to Chyenne, the prettiest little princess, and Cohen, the most handsome little milk monster!

newmommyhjm
by on Jan. 19, 2010 at 11:39 PM

My daughter is new to the potty training world too... well she is almost 22 months and she was fully potty trained at 20 months. :-) She doesn't even sleep in diapers. woo-hooo! lol

I remind her not to tee-tee in her panties while we are out... I have a portable potty that stays in the car with us and if she says she can't hold it (*she is VERY vocal) then I'll pull over to the nearest parking lot, etc and get out her potty in the back of my SUV and let her use the potty... it has been VERY helpful when she couldn't hold it long enough to run into the restroom to use the potty.

We have never traveled by plane though... so that's new to us. I would think that as long as she goes before take off and she is occupied during take off you shouldn't have too much of a problem. As for carrides, I would suggest allotting enough time for frequent stops as little bladders cannot hold as much nor as long as we can. :-) ((HUGS)) and I wish you the best!

I'm Heather. Proud Army wife to Colt, who is currently deployed to Afghanistan. Loving Mommy to Chyenne, the prettiest little princess, and Cohen, the most handsome little milk monster!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)