Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son cheats at Candy Land...advice please

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:56 AM
  • 8 Replies

Everytime I try to play Candy Land with my son (he is 3 1/2) he insists on taking the lollipop card out of the deck and moving his game piece directly to that spot. I tried explaining to him that that wasn't how the game is played, but he won't play unless he can have that lollipop card right off the bat. I finally got so frustrated that I told him I wouldn't play with him anymore unless he played the right way.

Am I being too hard on him? I want him to understand rules...he will hopefully be going off to preschool soon and I want him to understand that he has to play by the rules, take turns, etc.

Should I play along with him his way or should I stand my ground and not play with him again until he plays it right?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Manda1976
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 12:01 PM

"loose" the picture cards. I had a class that crumpled the lollipop card so they knew wich one it was. I took it.  I think 3 1/2 is old enough to learn to play fair. If you want to let him win every now and then that's up to you, but for him to cheat will make it harder for him to play with other kids.  I say keep playing with him, just take the card out.  Let him know if he isn't going to play fair with the card you won't play with the card.  I don't think you are being to hard on him, it's hard at that age. My 6 year old still wants to cheat. I won't have it. I don't get mad, I just tell him I'm disappointed and I won't play unless he can play fair.  Good luck!

I'm not society's idea of beautiful......screw society.
krystlewv
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:15 PM

My little boy would always cheat if we would let him get away with it. We play Sponge Bob memory and he wants to "mix" the cards up. If I dont watch he is putting them together. He gets very mad when we call him on it. I have made it clear that if he cheats we wont play with him and we dont. We immediately put the game away. There has been a few times where he has beaten me legitimately. That makes me proud. I want him to be able to be a gracious loser but its hard. He loves to play games with us so he tries really hard not to act out but sometimes he cant help it, and when he does he goes to time out. Thats when we continue the game and when he can get up from time out he waits on us to finish and then we start over. He gets no special treatment. He knows what he is doing. (BTW...he is 4).

CafeMom TickersCafeMom Tickers

"My mother's menu consisted of two choices: take it or leave it."

bebe_ju-rah
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 1:20 PM

I would definately do the same thing. Just tell him you aren't going to play unless he plays fair! Kudos mommy!!

Plus-size-mommy
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I agree, if he can't play right, he doesn't play at all. He is old enough to learn how to play fair, we do the same thing with our LO. Letting them cheat only makes it harder at preschool.

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 4:17 PM

My daughter went though the same thing.We just told her if she can't play right she isn't playing at all.And we had to go a week or 2 without playing to show her we meant business.

That is to funny they all want that lollipop cards....haha =)and our is bent (I think they did it on purpose) haha 

sweetsunflower
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 12:07 AM

Yep, our lollipop card is bent now as well. Thank you ladies for the advice. It is very reassuring to know that I am doing the right thing.

chasenicksmom
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 12:47 AM

I had that problem, I think it is because the game is to easy.  He needs more of a challenge,  I will give it a try and let youknow how it goes,

good morning

sofimama
by on Jan. 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM

I definitely think you are doing the right thing.  My daughter wants to color with me all the time and always wants to take the crayon I am using as soon as I pick it.  I tell her I won't color with her if she won't share (not exactly the same thing, but ...) and she is 2 1/2.  Just a hopeful note.  I cheated ALL THE TIME in cards when I was little, I would sit on the cards I needed.  I turned out alright wink

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)