Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When do you think it is safe to...

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

put children in bunk beds? I have 2 boys, whom will be turning 5 and 4 in April. I would like them to have bunk beds, and they like the idea, but I am a little worried about the ladder. My older son is a restless sleeper; and he wakes several times during the night and moves around. I am concerned, too, about him rolling off. But, ever since I showed them bunk beds in a furniture store, they have been wanting one because " we are big boys now".Thanks for reading this, and posting your advice :0)

Dawn
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MissiHampt
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:06 PM

I put my son in a loft bed at 2 years and 4 months.  I wasn't too worried, he's a great climber and I made sure to get one with really high rails.  The rails actually almost reach the ceiling, so no way could he roll out.  We made sure to establish the rules early on, as well....no playing around in the bed, it's for sleeping only.  I really had no choice, his room is kinda small and a regular twin bed would have taken up half the floor space.  But, he just turned 5 and has never fallen out, so it's worked out great.

Missi....loving wife to Jason, mommy to Ricky (1-12-05), and soon to be mommy to Logan Douglas (due Feb 2010).  I'm a cloth diapering, baby wearing, breastfeeding till baby wants to quit, homeschooling, non-circumcising, anti-cry it out, part time working, animal loving, trashy romance novel reading, farm raised hillbilly.  I have had Meningitis and Swine Flu and lived to tell about it.  Any questions?

lilblufrog
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 2:18 PM

They now make bunk beds with stairs. You might want to check those out. I think 5 is fine as long as there is a safety railing all the way around the top bunk.

I am a emergency c-section, extended formula feeding, cloth/disposable diapering, extended rear facing, sign language teaching, miscarriage survivor (x2), mama to a miracle baby girl who has 2 middle names! (11-19-07)

Kim24kids
by on Jan. 18, 2010 at 5:25 PM

I think your oldest is old enough for the top .As long as it has side rails to keep him in.And they have ones that are easier to get up to now...pp mentioned stairs that would be a great idea=) GL 

Join us on The Toddler & Preschool Group! Group Mod

Join us onElementary School Kids - Group Mod

sofiesmom112
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM

I don't think kids under 8 should be in bunk beds, but that is JMHO

RobynS
by Robyn on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:42 PM

I suppose it depends a lot on the kid. But I'm usually pretty cautious, so I would wait if I were you.

bhwrn1
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

My 6 y/o got bunk beds at 4 y/o. But he won't sleep on the top. My 3 y/o will climb right up the ladder, but he has his own room. DH wants to move them into the same room and I am sure that my 3 y/o would sleep in the top bunk. The only thing I would worry about is if he needs to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and has to get down.

Lilypie

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE, REPURPOSE...

spinning globerecycling sweetpeaturning into globeplant a treechanging light bulb

Meditate on your own Self. Worship your Self. Respect your Self. God dwells within you as you.”  Swamni "Baba" Muktananda

mamapicklemjp
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 7:53 PM

My boys had bunkbeds from the time they were 4 and 2 until they were 6 and 4.  We got rid of the bunkbed because my then 4 year old would climb up on top of the bunkbed and bounce on the bed despite every punishment he was given.  One day, he was bouncing on it and fell off and landed on his head-he seemed fine except he cried a little.  About an hour later he came to me and said his head was hurting really bad.  I picked him up and kissed the back of his head and was taking him to get some tylenol when he trew up all over me and began having a seizure and then stopped moving and breathing.  I called 911 and did rescue breathing for him and got him breathing again.  They took him to the hospital where we found out he had a massive concussion and some slight bleeding behind his left eye.  He stayed in the hospital for 48 hours and is now fine, but we will NEVER have bunkbeds again. 

in loveMichelle & Jeremy ( April of 2001)
american footballDominic (December of 2001)
ice creamJonathan (April of 2004)
toddler girlCaitlynn (November of 2007)

My2Munchkinz
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:06 PM

I think it would depend on the child, but I read somewhere that the lowest age should be 6.  I would probably wait until even older than that.  Smaller kids' coordination just isn't that good.  Just go with your gut instincts.

SeanandNoahsmom
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:28 PM

Thank you for all your advice. I am worried that when he gets up to use the bathroom at night, he will be sleepy and less agile. He is still wearing pull ups at night, but we are working on that. I was thinking the rails and ladder might impede his ability to make it to the bathroom in time, or that he'd fall during his haste to do so. I think I'll wait a little longer :0)

Dawn
pregowithfifth
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:33 PM

I was 6 and my sister was 5 when we got our bunkbeds and on the very first night I was leaning over the rail to tell my sister something and I fell out and broke my arm!  I hate bunkbeds!  We got a set for my boys and a little over 2 years ago we had a fire and thank god my oldest boy was gone because of how thick the smoke is at that hieght my oldest would have had major problems or could have even died if he was in that top bunk. We were all lucky to get out of the house and no one was seriously injured some smoke inhalation but even my DH who is a fire fighter said that if my oldest son would have been home it would have been bad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)